Dual router port forward?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
MichaelEPC
New here

Dual router port forward?

Post by MichaelEPC »

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, and to QNAP. However from what I have seen, the QNAP is the only NAS I will ever recommend ever again. I am loving this thing! We have a few QNAPs for multiple clients and each client is more than pleased! I am however running into a problem with my most recent setup.

There are two clients who share an internet connection in an office. They want to be able to share the QNAP between their networks. Client A has a Router(A), then client B has a router(B) attached to Client A router. The QNAP is attached to router B. We were able to setup the backups, shared folders, etc etc and both routers can access these with no problem. The problem we are running into is the Port forwarding. When we try to go to the xxxx.myqnapcloud.com address it does not load and we believe that is due to a port forwarding issue. Does anyone here have any idea how we can get QNAP cloud to work with this configuration?

I appreciate any help you can provide!
MichaelEPC
New here

Re: Dual router port forward?

Post by MichaelEPC »

So I read how to do a double port forward. I forward port 8080 to the external IP address of Router B. Then Forwarded port 8080 to the Device IP. Yet the qnap cloud service is still not working. I thought for sure this was going to work!
schumaku
Guru

Re: Dual router port forward?

Post by schumaku »

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!

Please elaborate a little bit more than "does not work". Of course, if there are limitations in the connectivity, in routing, port forwarding .. it won't work.

Might happen the ISP there does block popular standard ports like 80/TCP, 8080/TCP, 443/TCP, ... for incoming connections for example.

Might happen some ISP have silently converted the Internet connection to IPv6 with Dual-Stack lite (DS-Lite), and the router don't get a dedicated public routed IPv4 anymore.

Does yoursharedofficenas.myqnapcloud.com resolve to the public IP address of the first (from the Internet side) router? Compare the public IP address assigned to the "router" router with

$ nslookup yoursharedofficenas.myqnapcloud.com

Just some ideas to start with.

In general, such complex set-up are a pain to deal with. Consider to deploy a proper router (and WLAN AP in case) permitting a proper sharing of the Internet connection, allowing to have multiple security zones like the two offices, ...

Regards,
-Kurt.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”