Configure Apple Airport Extreme

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Configure Apple Airport Extreme

Post by pwilson »

dhodory wrote:pwilson - QNAP is a business, they sell a product, they market said product to a specific user base (which includes people with Macs) and there's a high probability that said target consumers will be using an Apple router, and you think it is unreasonable for a manufacturer to amortize 8 hours of network engineer time (likely sourced from SE Asia, where the product is manufactured, at a rate likely far lower than US domestic hourly rates) across an entire product line. Even at the unlikely full USD rates you quote in your post, $1,200, amortizing that across an entire product line (have no idea what QNAP's unit sales are, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say more than 1,200 units/year), we're talking $1/unit or less At a likely sales volume of 10x that number per year, we'd be talking less than $0.10/unit. So while you have an interesting line of thought, pretty sure I don't agree with it from an economic point of view.

If you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I acknowledged that this issue is now known not to be Apple related. If find it both interesting and curious that you'd spend your (apparently very valuable) time to comment on something that, per my post, is no longer relevant to the technical problem at hand . . . but hey, it's *your* valuable time, to post-away. :D

In all seriousness, appreciate that help in this thread. It did eventually help me isolate the problem. Additionally, one of the frequent posters over at the Apple forums was the first to help me realize my issue was with my Cincinnati Bell modem/router.
QNAP does not manufacture Apple Routers. Please contact Apple Support for support for your Apple Router. :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dhodory
Starting out

Post by dhodory »

QNAP does not manufacture Apple Routers. Please contact Apple Support for support for your Apple Router. :roll:[/quote]

Umm, okay . . . if you read my post you'd know that this isn't an Apple router issue though, so not quite understanding why I should contact them? Suffice to say that I'm on the right track now though, so thanks (seriously) for the help in your posts.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dhodory wrote:
pwilson wrote:QNAP does not manufacture Apple Routers. Please contact Apple Support for support for your Apple Router. :roll:
Umm, okay . . . if you read my post you'd know that this isn't an Apple router issue though, so not quite understanding why I should contact them? Suffice to say that I'm on the right track now though, so thanks (seriously) for the help in your posts.
My contributions to this thread are now doing more damage than good. I've shared my opinion. I'll bow out now. It provides no benefit to the community for me to state the obvious shortcomings of Apple's Router products.

Lets drop this part of the discussion. You need help with the Airport Extreme (regardless of my opinion of it), so perhaps the focus now should be to secure advice from another Airport Extreme owner. You can either accomplish this in the QNAP Community Forum, or at Apple's Support Forums. Non-Airport Extreme owners (myself included), can't help very much, so I believe it is time for me to leave this thread, so that you can focus on "resolution" of the issue, rather than pointless debate about the inadequacies of the Router you are using.

I did provide a reference link to configuring DHCP Reservations on that device. Hopefully that reference will be more useful to you, than my observations about the device you are trying to configure properly. (A "pure" DHCP environment with DHCP Reservations should make Port-Forwarding and DNS easier to do, but as I lack any experience with your Router, even this information is of dubious usefulness for you).

Your original issue persists:
dhodory wrote:Ok, I've read several posts on this and must be doing something wrong. Here's my set up:
DSL modem (modem only, no router) attached to Apple Airport Extreme (running Airport Admin 6.x). QNAP 639 Pro attached via ethernet to Airport Extreme. iMac attached to Airport Extreme via 802.11n wifi.

When I configure "network" in the Airport Extreme admin software and set up port forwarding (port 80) using DHCP and NAT and calling out the QNAP's MAC address, when I apply those changes to the Airport Extreme, my iMac can no longer see the Airport Extreme - as a result I cannot see the QNAP NAS nor can I get to the internet.

What am I doing wrong? Network noob here.
Lets return Focus back to this. You are a "network noob" (your words), and most of us are Airport Extreme "noobs". We can't help you configure your Airport Extreme, as we know little about it. Your issues seems to be between your Airport Extreme and your iMac. This is not something that I can help you with, as I have neither hardware.

This community has failed to provide answers for your issues. Perhaps it is time to seek assistance from the iMac/Airport-Extreme owners within Apple's community forums. I mean this advice to a positive suggestion toward resolution, rather than simply trying to send you away. I wish I could help, but I can't. I suggest Apple's Forums because that is probably the "best" place to find answers for you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dhodory
Starting out

Post by dhodory »

dhodory wrote:UPDATE: Ok, so apparently this is *not* an Apple AirPort issue. Apparently my ISP's (Cincinnati Bell) modem also is a router (Westell 6100). For some reason, Cincinnati Bell mandates that the modem/router cannot be switched to Bridge mode if you do not subscribe to their "static" IP service. So now I need to set the AirPort to Bridge and then figure out how to port forward via the Westell 6100.
Added this so that anyone who stumbles upon this who is having problems with their AEBS will have a couple of places to go look for a fix.

RE: the above I will be pursuing a fix by either: a) putting the modem/router into bridge mode or b) getting the Westell 6110, since it is already set to bridge mode. Doing the above will allow me to have a relatively standard set up process with the AirPort Extreme. So, knock on wood, the issue will be resolved and I can configure the AEBS port forwarding per the link you provided.
markgonda
Starting out

Post by markgonda »

dhodory wrote:Ok, I've read several posts on this and must be doing something wrong. Here's my set up:
DSL modem (modem only, no router) attached to Apple Airport Extreme (running Airport Admin 6.x). QNAP 639 Pro attached via ethernet to Airport Extreme. iMac attached to Airport Extreme via 802.11n wifi.

When I configure "network" in the Airport Extreme admin software and set up port forwarding (port 80) using DHCP and NAT and calling out the QNAP's MAC address, when I apply those changes to the Airport Extreme, my iMac can no longer see the Airport Extreme - as a result I cannot see the QNAP NAS nor can I get to the internet.

What am I doing wrong? Network noob here.
So, there's lots of noise so I didn't read the past page and a half. I have Airport Extreme AC (AE/AC) and using two range extenders ( older but flat square Extreme - several years old, and Airport Express). It all works just fine. I have multiple Macs, iPhones, iPads, Dell, DirecTV, BlueRay player, ATV all connected wirelessly. My Qnap and printer are connected via ethernet cable from my AE/AC.

Don't know if this helps you but here is my AE/AC setup.
- DSL modem to AE/AC via wire
- Internet connected using DHCP
- Wireless set using WPA2, no guest network and running dual band 5 and 2.4 GHz
- Network in DHCP and NAT mode with DHCP reserved for Qnap (with IP address), no port settings, but enabled NAT port mapping protocol checked - nothing filled in thereafter

All access to Qnap is done on Qnap admin side using QTS.

Hope this helps. I'm not a network or server guy at all so I did as little as possible and let things default unless needed to be changed to make it work. Good luck.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”