Proxy Server

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.

Proxy Server

Post by Guest »

I would like to have a Proxy server function embedded with the changable listening port say 8080... Then I can route back to my TS-101 (located in Hong Kong currently) anywhere thru internet espcially from China to some restricted website must be used with Hong Kong IP.
:D
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi Guest,

Thank you for your suggestion. The proxy server function is not on our top priority list of new features currently but we will take this great idea into consideration.

P.S.: Please be reminded to register before posting messages there. Thank you.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
engowen
New here

Post by engowen »

I'm 2nd to this feature. I found the following free php script from

http://www.glype.com/

Glype Proxy is a free web-based proxy script written in PHP. It allows webmasters to quickly and easily set up their own proxy site. There is a huge market for these proxy websites that allow both anonymous browsing and bypassing network filters at school, college or work.

Since I don't own a TS-109, I wonder could anyone host this script and make a web proxy.
Twinsen
New here

Post by Twinsen »

I tried out the script. Sad to say it does not work as it requires Curl Support and I dont think QNAP PHP has it.
engowen wrote:I'm 2nd to this feature. I found the following free php script from

Glype Proxy is a free web-based proxy script written in PHP. It allows webmasters to quickly and easily set up their own proxy site. There is a huge market for these proxy websites that allow both anonymous browsing and bypassing network filters at school, college or work.

Since I don't own a TS-109, I wonder could anyone host this script and make a web proxy.
danger89
First post

Re: Proxy Server

Post by danger89 »

kalle1024
Starting out

Post by kalle1024 »

A proxy server would be great - here is a suggestion for a quick and non-complex implementation:

We have apache on our Qnap's right?
Why not compile mod_proxy, mod_http_proxy, mod_html_proxy and mod_ftp_proxy modules for our enviorment and just add them (optional?) to our apache config?

quick, easy and powerful :-)

Cheers,
Kalle
kamkam828

Post by kamkam828 »

It would be great if QNap provides Proxy support. My office blocks all entertainment websites.
symphys
Know my way around

Post by symphys »

I saw that there is a nylon ipk so maybe that will work.
nylon is a simple proxy. Find our more about it here: http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=nylon
QNAP TS-209 Pro, RAID1 with Samsung 2Tb HDDs
Firmware features used: FTP, Samba, SSH, Twonky UPnP MediaServer
UPnP Clients: Philips Cineos Flat TV 42PFL9703D, Dell XPS M1710 Windows 7 Ultimate, PlugPlayer with backgrounder on iPhone
Optware features: OpenVPN, Subversion
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Thank god it's not mandatory, I would never enable this.
I would NEVER place my NAS box on the edge of my network, and have it act like a proxy.
No, set up a very small box with pfsense, which is a very good and free firewall, and let that do proxy for you. This way you can seperate security from storage.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
jeff1971lee
New here

Post by jeff1971lee »

Same requirement for Proxy or Socks5 Service for QNAP NAS system, my company ban entire port for us, only open port 80/443/21/8080 to let us to use it, so really need a outside Proxy or Socks5 Service.

Hope QNAP NAS can support Proxy or Socks5 Services soon.
murda
Know my way around

Post by murda »

Hi,

Whats the status of the proxy implementation in the NAS boxes?

regards,
TS409Pro : 4 x Seagate ES.2 1TB
nicolas
Starting out

Post by nicolas »

Hey,

I too would be interested in a proxy server function.
quilt_man
First post

Post by quilt_man »

I think the squid proxy server which is already a linux package is a great candidate.
Boggle
Starting out

Re:

Post by Boggle »

Twinsen wrote:I tried out the script. Sad to say it does not work as it requires Curl Support and I dont think QNAP PHP has it.
engowen wrote:I'm 2nd to this feature. I found the following free php script from

I've just loaded Glype onto my TS-109 (running V3.1.0) and can confirm that it works OK. My 3G provider blocks access to some sites (youtube!) and this is a great way of getting access under your own control.
Boggle
wotschek
First post

Post by wotschek »

Hey folks,

I looked around a little bit, as I was searching for a way to make browsing safe, while sitting in an internet-café or open WLAN or things like that.
As I am the owner of a TS-209, I found a nice way to use the NAS as a SOCKS5 Proxy.

Step 1:
First of all, I set up the DDNS - Service. So register somewhere like dyndns.org, so that you can find your homenetwork from anywhere.

Step 2:
Cut a hole into the firewall of your home router - this is necessary to connect to the SSH port of your NAS in your homenet. So tell your router at home to forward any traffic on port XY to port 22 on your Home-NAS. I would suggest, that you use port 80 or any port that is usually open in most firewalls. So, if you are in a network that only accepts connections to port 80, you can still communicate with your homenetwork.

Step 3:
Now get a ssh-client, for instance putty. Putty is a tiny ssh-client that doesnt require administrative rights for installation.

Step 4:
Connect to your DDNS-Adress via putty on the port you opened in your router. Log in to your NAS (i.e. TS 209).

Step 5:
Now you can configure putty as your socks-server. Choose Connection => SSH => Tunnels. Enter a source port for the Socks5 Service XYZ (i.e. 2009) (do not enter a destination). Chose the radio - button "dynamic" and "apply" afterwards. Putty opens this port on localhost.

Step 6:
Now its nearly done. Chose the browser of your choice and enter in the connection-settings your Socks-address. In this example, the adress is localhost and the port is 2009.

Enjoy safe browsing, even through heavy firewalled networks.
As a last tip, for those who use firefox: Tell firefox to use remote dns-lookup, so that ip adresses are resolved "at home".
Enter about:config in firefox, look up the entry "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and change from "false" to "true".

Now you are browsing the net "from home". You can also enter the ip of your NAS-System in your browser, i.e. 192.168.0.2 etc. pp.

Et voilá, thats it.
hf.
Last but not least: Please keep in mind, that your routers firewall is now open - though its just one port. I do not overtake any guarantees for the security of your network. ;-)

Return to “Features Wanted”