unspefic "Warning" on the HDD status

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Don
Guru

Re: unspefic "Warning" on the HDD status

Post by Don »

I wouldn't trust the drives and would replace them.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

I intend too, for now I have no need of this nas it was a really cheapo and was just being greedy and did not want to pass on a bargain.

So I am just filling it up with rubbish stuff as a test machine and am just curious as to where the qnap gets this info from. On another note, because the manufacturer software now says the drives are good, IF and I already know they are out of warranty but IF I wanted to RMA them I might not be able to as usually the first thing they tell you is to run the drive through the software to determine its RMA status.

Its all good fun lol.
1x TS-412 3x WD2003YYS (Enterprise) 1x WD20EFRX (Green) [Raid 0]
1x TS-412 3x WDC ED30EFRX (Red) 1X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-412 2x WD20EZRX (GREEN) & 2x WD20EARS (Green) [Raid 5]
1x TS-859pro 4x WD30EFRX (RED) & 4X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-869pro 8X HGST HDS724040ALE640 - (DeskTop) [Raid 5]
1x WDSharespace 4xWDC WD2003YYS (Enterprise) [Raid 0] - The worst NAS I have ever owned.
5x WD MybookWorld White light Edition (Which are fitted with WD Green drives as standard) also rubbish
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

umpa wrote:... or has the drive been marked as bad by the qnap?
AFAIK there is a nail (resp. mark) somewhere ... forgot the details :ashamed:
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

I wonder if running the drive with dban might destroy all areas and remove the flag.
1x WDSharespace 4xWDC WD2003YYS (Enterprise) [Raid 0] - The worst NAS I have ever owned.
5x WD MybookWorld White light Edition (Which are fitted with WD Green drives as standard) also rubbish
gooselk
New here

Post by gooselk »

I'll pick this topic up as I have a similar 'problem' with a brand new Seagate ST3000DM001.

I bought the drive an put it into my TS-412 and filled it up with data. During a boot we had a power outage and after rebooting the drive has shown up with a warning that the file system was not clean. Then the smart test started and gave me a warning that the drive state was not optimal. Detailed smart info has shown that I had one pending sector on the drive. So I did a backup of the drive and during the backup I had an unrecoverable read error that changed the drive state to 'abnormal'. Indeed, one of the files was corrupted.

I pulled the drive and put it in my Windows-PC. With the same result. So I deleted all partitions, created a new one and formatted the drive (no quick format but normal. Took me 6 hours :-0 :lol: ). After formatting I ran SeaTools on the drive that returned no errors. After inserting and initializing the drive in the qnap the test results are individually 'good' but overall state is still 'warning'.

Then I stumbled upon this knowledge base article:
http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kno ... rmal--good

It says that the state 'normal' (which now is 'warning' obviously since 4.1) could be the result of one of the last 20 smart tests beeing 'abnormal' which is true for me. So obviously the state of the drive doesn't return to 'good' immediately. One has to wait until the next 20 smart tests are done. So I will report back when this is done as my drive should return to 'good' in a few days :)
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

gooselk wrote:I'll pick this topic up as I have a similar 'problem' with a brand new Seagate ST3000DM001.
So obviously the state of the drive doesn't return to 'good' immediately. One has to wait until the next 20 smart tests are done.
Status of these drives will never return to good, no matter what. They are garbage by design, proven by thousands of QNAP users, and many more unfortunate Seagate customers out there. Do yourself and your data a favour and go get something suitable for NAS/RAID usage, instead of wasting time with SMART tests to make your drive look "good". Since it's "brand new" as you say, you might well be able to return it back to vendor without stating any reasons and get a refund...
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

I dont quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that the 20 test rule is wrong, or are you saying that because his drives are seagate they will never be ok even if the status returns to good.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

I mean - stop buying utter garbage.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

So it's the fact he has seagate drives, the information he provided was correct and of far more value than your opinion !

You know, Trolls come in all shapes and sizes, one already camps on here, I do hope your not going to become a second. All bad attitudes do on here is hurt the brand and I'm sure qnap don't want that.
inkiboo
Starting out

Post by inkiboo »

umpa wrote:You know, Trolls come in all shapes and sizes, one already camps on here, I do hope your not going to become a second. All bad attitudes do on here is hurt the brand and I'm sure qnap don't want that.
Couldn't agree more.
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

gooselk wrote:I'll pick this topic up as I have a similar 'problem' with a brand new Seagate ST3000DM001.

I bought the drive an put it into my TS-412 and filled it up with data. During a boot we had a power outage and after rebooting the drive has shown up with a warning that the file system was not clean. Then the smart test started and gave me a warning that the drive state was not optimal. Detailed smart info has shown that I had one pending sector on the drive. So I did a backup of the drive and during the backup I had an unrecoverable read error that changed the drive state to 'abnormal'. Indeed, one of the files was corrupted.

I pulled the drive and put it in my Windows-PC. With the same result. So I deleted all partitions, created a new one and formatted the drive (no quick format but normal. Took me 6 hours :-0 :lol: ). After formatting I ran SeaTools on the drive that returned no errors. After inserting and initializing the drive in the qnap the test results are individually 'good' but overall state is still 'warning'.

It says that the state 'normal' (which now is 'warning' obviously since 4.1) could be the result of one of the last 20 smart tests beeing 'abnormal' which is true for me. So obviously the state of the drive doesn't return to 'good' immediately. One has to wait until the next 20 smart tests are done. So I will report back when this is done as my drive should return to 'good' in a few days :)
Confirmed :)

20 good tests and the drive is back up to 'Good' status. A very good find thank you gooselk
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

umpa wrote:

Confirmed :)

20 good tests and the drive is back up to 'Good' status. A very good find thank you gooselk
This does not change the fact that the drives are not suitable for NAS devices and that you will very likely have problems with them in the future. Making the bad status indicator go away doesn't fix the drive. When the 'Time to Change Oil' message appears on my car's dashboard I can reset the message and make it go away, however the oil still needs changing.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

Hi Don,
Yes I agree however consideration should be given for the users who installed the drives whilst they were on the compatible list. In my case I inherited the drives in a cheap 412 I bought. I am simply messing around with the manufactures software and HDDregenerator. The point being and the point of my posts is that these drives were fixed but the qnap still reported warning and I wanted to understand the process of why.

The question was simple and so was the answer so why it was not explained before again is lost on me.

Now the fact they are not recommended or on the compatible list or should not be trusted is not the issue here. I can't see why the mods and ppl in the know can't answer the question asked, everything required to answer the question was posted.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

umpa wrote:I can't see why the mods and ppl in the know can't answer the question asked
Because they have better things to do with their free time than answer zillion times answered complaints about well-known sh*t? Go ask QNAP what are they going to do with their HW "compatibility" list. I've been waiting for an answer for ~2 months by now, if you click the link in my signature. Meanwhile, you can get in touch with your lawyer and join the class suit action against Seagate if in the US. Otherwise, get back to whomever you've purchased the toxic electronic waste from regarding refunds.
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

IF you ever learn to read you will see I don't have any Seagate drives you idiot.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”