TS-x51/x53 and custom operating system

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Re: TS-x51/x53 and custom operating system

Post by parkerc »

Hi

I'm just curious, are you able to use any of the additional RAM, or is there a limiter in there somewhere, that suggests, while you may have 16GB you can only properly make use of 8Gb?

I'm about to buy some Kingston value Ram, and I'm wondering if I should consider buying 2 x8Gbs
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
donzoomik
Starting out

Post by donzoomik »

There doesn't seem to be any limitation and 16GB is fully usable. But as with unsupported systems, YMMV.

Windows works fine with WTG usb stick, almost... Unknown devices are Intel's stuff. Intel drivers apply to these devices but only on Windows 7... But as these drivers are useless anyway - no härm not using them.
HDMI audio doesn't work - depending on driver it's either "Not plugged in" or not working at all...
Fan requires software control, otherwise it speeds up to noisy 2000rpm immediatly, SpeedFan can handle it with Manual PWM control.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Thanks @donzoomik

Just to confirm..

A WTG usb stick, used in a USB 2.0 (only) rear port will boot successfully.
Have you had any success with the HDMI audio ?

I've not used WTG myself, so I'm' curious if customisations can be made to it, so it handles the audio and the fan speed automatically, each time it is used?
donzoomik
Starting out

Post by donzoomik »

WTG USB Stick will boot from any USB port, USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. I originally planned to use internal pins but USB 3.0 performs so much better that I ended up using rear USB 3.0 port. This scripts will do the job - modify to your needs http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik ... -step.aspx
NB! Do not apply SAN policy or you'll have to enable internal disk on each boot!

HDMI issue seems to be a combination of Windows Windows 8.1 (including Server 2012 R2) and BIOS bugs. Symptoms are that Windows built-in driver and generation 9 Intel drivers show HDMI output as "Not plugged in" (while ironically using HDMI output for display...). Generation 10 drivers do install, but HDMI output disappears from list of playback devices. Version 8 drivers don't start up at all. Intel HDMI drivers use different versioning scheme, but they're included with corresponding GPU drivers (eg. GPU 10.18.10.3945 -> HDMI 6.16.0.3154) - makes it easier to track.
Intel forum has many complaints with NUCs and their desktop boards. https://communities.intel.com/message/218663 this article sums it up, unfortunantly it has no "last modified" date. J1800/J1900 uses Intel Core 3rd generation graphics core (and drivers) and TS-251 BIOS build date is May 2014. Perhaps we could dump the BIOS and use AMI tools to see what's going on...
Maybe Windows 8 or 2012 would work...?
Even if it were a BIOS issue, it'd be very unlikely to be adressed by QNAP as HDMI works just fine under Linux and Windows is just plain "not supported". If QNAP didn't use signed BIOS updates, it would be possible to mod BIOS by changing modules.

You can do whatever you want with Windows - changes are persisted back to USB device so it functions as any Windows installation. It's not a Live-CD :)
chahroun
Starting out

Post by chahroun »

Just Installed same 2*8GB crucial mentioned in this thread on my Ts-253 and it worked great. runs much faster with 16GB specially if using Surveillance station and VMs... But I also installed a WIFI on the USB and can't figure out how to make the VMs use WIFI (both enet dedicated for NAS)... Anybody figure out a way on how to use USB WIFI in VMs?
sweup
Starting out

Post by sweup »

chahroun wrote:Just Installed same 2*8GB crucial mentioned in this thread on my Ts-253 and it worked great. runs much faster with 16GB specially if using Surveillance station and VMs... But I also installed a WIFI on the USB and can't figure out how to make the VMs use WIFI (both enet dedicated for NAS)... Anybody figure out a way on how to use USB WIFI in VMs?
Stupid questions maybe;
-is there any other configurations that has to be done in order for it to work, or just pop them in?
-will any apps don't work with a 16gb setup?
-will the more ram let the NAS work harder (burn out earlier)?
-how will this effect regular media streaming (indexing files, transcoding etc? is it overkill for only this purpose?
donzoomik
Starting out

Post by donzoomik »

chahroun: it wouldn't most likely work properly due to no NAT functionality in Virtualization Station...
sweup:
1. Just pop in
2. I haven't found any yet. Any such limitations would be just strange...
3. Very unlikely, but theoretically possible (more power load...)
4. Not much - more RAM means more caching so some (not much) performance increase could be seen. It's still mostly useful for RAM hungry applications (SQL, virtualization...).
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

I was just wondering how people were finding their 16Gb versions, is everything still ok, I'm looking to run a couple of Windows VMS and would like to give them as much memory as possible
AzJazz
Getting the hang of things

Post by AzJazz »

Are there any memory tests that can run inside the QNAP environment (maybe via a telnet session/bash shell) to prove that the 16GB RAM is fully accessible and usable by the OS?
My OS: Win7x64
NAS model: QNAP TS453 Pro
Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.3.6
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): Single Port
Drive Configuration: RAID5 (3 x 4.0TB WD40EFRX Red)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

from what i've seen the virtual station is pretty much what you'd expect it to do. The new docket further adds to that by adding a light weight version of virtualization for a different subset of users that don't require full blown virtual setups. so there are 2 modes of virtualization for different types of users.

i'd still recommend upgrading ram to really make the most out of the virtual app imho :X
AzJazz wrote:Are there any memory tests that can run inside the QNAP environment (maybe via a telnet session/bash shell) to prove that the 16GB RAM is fully accessible and usable by the OS?
not sure how you can test that, but i've seen you can allocate ram to different virtualization user accounts setup.

just a guess, but wouldn't using clients to access these virtual accounts then running apps to use up space to see that they max out their allocated ram be the test to see if it worked? :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
AzJazz
Getting the hang of things

Post by AzJazz »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
AzJazz wrote:Are there any memory tests that can run inside the QNAP environment (maybe via a telnet session/bash shell) to prove that the 16GB RAM is fully accessible and usable by the OS?
not sure how you can test that, but i've seen you can allocate ram to different virtualization user accounts setup.

just a guess, but wouldn't using clients to access these virtual accounts then running apps to use up space to see that they max out their allocated ram be the test to see if it worked? :mrgreen:
Thanks, Moogle Stiltzkin - I have to purchase a RAM upgrade for my TS-453 Pro today (hoping that these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LDLV6S will work). But f I'm going to upgrade my RAM, I would prefer to to get 16GB today instead of 8GB. My main concern, though, is if the system "thinks" it has 16GB, but can't actually access anything beyond 8GB, then there is a risk of data corruption / failure when the system goes into that area. I was hoping that someone might be able to quickly test their 16GB QNAP to verify the RAM is usable.
My OS: Win7x64
NAS model: QNAP TS453 Pro
Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.3.6
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): Single Port
Drive Configuration: RAID5 (3 x 4.0TB WD40EFRX Red)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

AzJazz wrote: I was hoping that someone might be able to quickly test their 16GB QNAP to verify the RAM is usable.
Several threads in the forum by people having installed 16 GB in the TS-x51/x53 - when I remember right, the only limitation it that QNAP Virtualisation Station does not allow to allocate more but 8 GB to a VM - however, this is more a software config limitation.
dogmaster
First post

Post by dogmaster »

Hi, saw your post and decided to pull out the 2 PCs of 8GB Ram (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-I ... B00KQCOTCM) from my Macbook Pro and plug into my TS453-PRO for a try. Before I did it, I saw from the Amazon Review that someone actually got it to work on TS453-PRO. Unfortunately no luck for me, the TS453-PRO can only recognise up to 8GB of pyhsical ram, no matter how i swapped or plug/unplug the 2 pcs it’s still only recognize 8GB of physical RAM. Initially i thought i might have broken the secondary ram slot, so i decided to put back the orginal 2pcs of 2GB RAM but it recognises 4GB of RAM, I tried putting the 2 x 8GB…it shows only 8GB…plug the 2x8GB back into my Macbook Pro and it shows 16GB physical RAM…seems like I am not as luck as you. Any other tips will be appreciated.
legonima
New here

Post by legonima »

Hello,

I installed Windows 8.1 x64 on QNAP TS-253A with SSD+SSHD and 16GB RAM : http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 76#p553632

Since this post, I disabled driver signature verification in Windows and used driver detection software like DriverMax and have now drivers for all devices.

Just in case you would be interested... :roll:

Regards,
Mathieu
legonima
New here

Post by legonima »

Hi again,

Anyone tried to install ESXi 6.0 on TS-253A by the way ?

Thanks,
Mathieu

Return to “Presales”