NetBak backup folders too long

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bhwong
Starting out

NetBak backup folders too long

Post by bhwong »

I realize that NetBak is unable to backup some of our files due to deep subfolders that result in exceeding 255 character limits. This is make worse because NetBak itself create many unnecessary subfolders to place the backup files:

\\QNAP\backup\NetBakData\username@computername\Disk C\

Possible to make NetBak not to create additional subfolders so that it will backup directly to the pointed folder?

\\QNAP\backup\

Thanks,
Boon Hong.
hcroij
New here

Re: NetBak backup folders too long

Post by hcroij »

I completely second that.

Checked the registry, checked several netbak files but it looks like it is hardcoded.
hcroij
New here

Post by hcroij »

I completely second that.

Checked the registry, checked several netbak files but it looks like it is hardcoded.
Poovard
First post

Post by Poovard »

Another vote for this as the issue makes it unusable for me
PowerToTheUsers
New here

Post by PowerToTheUsers »

Any input if this is fixed already?
I'm looking for a backup solution with my Qnap, Netbak looked good until I found about this issue...
tpmm56
Starting out

Post by tpmm56 »

Was there ever a solution to this problem, it is very annoying and it stops me using Net Bak Replicator for backups to the Nas
TS-453A RAM: 4G -- FW: QTS 5.0.0.2255 Build 20220531
3 x 6TB WD Red WD60EFRX 3.5" NAS 24x7 HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, NCQ, OEM with NASware 3.0 in RAID 5 configuration
1 x 6TB WD Red WD60EFRX
marronz
First post

Post by marronz »

tpmm56 wrote:Was there ever a solution to this problem, it is very annoying and it stops me using Net Bak Replicator for backups to the Nas
Hi, i would like to know what you use instead of NetBak for this job.
I have think to use NetBak replicator on my 4pcs to sync them with NAS, and to protect all files from ramsonware make a daily backup of these backups on NAS with Hybrid Backup Sync using Versioning Backup.

i'm a newbie with NAS. Some suggestion??

THANX

Andrea
tpmm56
Starting out

Post by tpmm56 »

I haven't used anything else - I raised a ticket with QNAP help and got a response that there is nothing they can do about it as it is a Microsoft constant. So it is a case of not using directory names with multiple sub-directories that make sense to the user and are allowed in windows but you can't back them up with Net Bak Replicator. Hmmm.
TS-453A RAM: 4G -- FW: QTS 5.0.0.2255 Build 20220531
3 x 6TB WD Red WD60EFRX 3.5" NAS 24x7 HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, NCQ, OEM with NASware 3.0 in RAID 5 configuration
1 x 6TB WD Red WD60EFRX
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

bhwong wrote:I realize that NetBak is unable to backup some of our files due to deep subfolders that result in exceeding 255 character limits. This is make worse because NetBak itself create many unnecessary subfolders to place the backup files:

\\QNAP\backup\NetBakData\username@computername\Disk C\

Possible to make NetBak not to create additional subfolders so that it will backup directly to the pointed folder?

\\QNAP\backup\

Thanks,
Boon Hong.
Ok just ran into this issue myself, even tried renaming my file structure to no use, it still threw up the name path too long, yet as Boon says if it didn't add all it's own unneeded 54 characters inserted at the beginning then my paths would be fine. What is going to happen when I try to backup a remote NAS with long file names? Come on QNAP. I will place a support ticket for this immediately, you will find this under QNAP support category>Utilities>Netback
NetBak pathname 260 limit.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

"from QNAP Support re NetBak path limitation"
Hi John,

Thank you for contacting QNAP.

The path length is a Windows limitation (256 characters limitation on Windows) thus we are not able to address this issue.

Though when backing up with Netbak, it adds a prefix that takes up about 30 additional character. We are looking into this issue and a feature request have been submitted to address this. I've also added your feedback to this request. The request will go for analysis of possible implementation, but cannot be guaranteed that will be really implemented.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate that.

Please, if any further question, contact us again at anytime.

Regards,
Michael Fan
Technical Support Engineer
QNAP Systems, Inc.

Disclaimer:
Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. QNAP Systems Inc. does not assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information. Any promise, action or solution we make for your questions does not constitute an agreement between you and QNAP unless a written agreement signed by authorized representative is provided. Please always back up your data. For more information, including technical information updates, please visit our website at http://www.qnap.com/
As you can see it does actually work to contact QNAP Support about things and QNAP Support do actually get back to you. For others interested in using NetBak then I would suggest you also pop on over to QNAP Support and complete a ticket for this.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

marronz wrote:Hi, i would like to know what you use instead of NetBak for this job.
I gave up on NetBak several years ago and I've never looked back. Me and many other here use SyncBack Freeware. It's great and fantastically feature rich for being a freeware.

NetBak is a small tool getting minimal attention by Qnap and it will never be competive compared to even the free alternatives from companies that are focused on client backup software.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

NetBak is simple to use and that is its draw card I think but when it fails on its first use to backup a cloud service there obviously is an inherent fault. Until this path length naming convention is fixed NetBak is simply a redundant software package.

QNAP knows the issue is the extra 54 characters inserted automatically by NetBak. Oh well on to try others, such as SyncBack mentioned. I am trying to find one backup solution to do everything which I thinking now might be impossible, want PC to NAS backup, NAS to NAS (remote A to remote B) be replication mainly as an offsite backup of two windows pc's. Already using Task Scheduler and NTI Backup for bits and pieces, messy config. that I would like to clean up
bhwong
Starting out

Post by bhwong »

Is this issue resolved with the latest version yet?

btw, can NetBak resume backup when backing up over WAN is disconnected? And will it preserved NTFS user access permission information?
SunChi
Know my way around

Post by SunChi »

Latest NetBak v.4.5.5.0503, the issue still there :(
This is really annoying 'feature' which prevents the user from just copying selected folders from remote locations to NAS, as they are. The unnecessary hardcoded path prefix not only makes it difficult to find the necessary backed up files, but also causes path length limitation problems.
TS-453A QTS 4.2.5 + 2xWD Red 4Tb (WD40EFRX); TS-109 Pro II FW: 3.3.0 b0924T + WD Caviar Green 1Tb (WD10EADS)
protenberg
First post

Post by protenberg »

Karen's Replicator from karenware.com
https://www.karenware.com/powertools/ka ... up-utility
This is an old, time tested, absolutely reliable and simple straightforward backup utility. Load it on any computer and start it backing up, small footprint and NO ADDITIONAL PATH at all.

Unlike Netbak you don't run into the "cancelled because another job is running" or "path too long". The problem is that it is also push, like Netbak. I think we would all be much better off to pull the backup from the NAS rather than push from the computer. There are lots of advantages.

I have been looking for a pull backup software for the Qnap for the longest time. It should allow queuing jobs so they run one after another. Too often I have run into someone leaving the server logged in as the wrong user or doing something that leaves the Netbak not running. It would be far more reliable to pull if someone can suggest an app to load on the Qnap and pull the backup as reliably as the Qnap runs.

Return to “Backup & Restore”