iscsi and Lightroom

iSCSI related applications
StevenLS
New here

iscsi and Lightroom

Post by StevenLS »

Apologies, I am rather new to QNAP. I have managed to do set up most of what I need to do (remote disk uploads, music server backups, time machine backups), but now I'm stuck.

Using OS X, I want to store my Lightroom photographs on an iscsi drive and back them up on a separate external usb hard drive. There will be no photographs on the mac itself.

I have worked out how to set up the iscsi file, although I don't understand the LUN bit.

Is there a simple guide or way of doing the backup to the usb external drive?
Last edited by Toxic17 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
filemoon
Getting the hang of things

Re: iscsi and Lightoom

Post by filemoon »

To use iSCSI you need to have iSCSI Initiator (is not free for OSX):
- http://www.attotech.com/products/produc ... T-MAC0-001
- http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/g ... initiator/

Do you have it?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Why ISCSI, what are your reasons against a share?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

storageman wrote:Why ISCSI, what are your reasons against a share?
I believe "Lightoom" is actually "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom". Like many Adobe products, it does not play "nice" with NAS devices in an OS X environment. Many OS X users use iSCSI to "workaround" Adobe's incompetence at making NAS friendly software for OS X users.

Many OS X users would prefer to keep "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" despite it's challenges, rather than installing something more compatible such as GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) instead. Adobe has been around since 1982, so you'd think they'd know a few things about programming by now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
yabba235
Know my way around

Post by yabba235 »

filemoon wrote:To use iSCSI you need to have iSCSI Initiator (is not free for OSX):
- http://www.attotech.com/products/produc ... T-MAC0-001
- http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/g ... initiator/

Do you have it?
It's not true - exist free os x iscsi initiator, look here:

https://justus.berlin/2014/01/droboshar ... r-kind-of/

Is works on my Yosemite stuff :)
Last edited by yabba235 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zotac MI553 (Hackintosh), NAS Qnap TS-453mini 6TB RAID5/128GB ssd for system,UPS APC x 2, PJ JVC DLA-X500, PCV screen, in-wall speakers 7.1 by KEF powered by Marantz, SR6011 and Remote Pronto TS9400
yabba235
Know my way around

Post by yabba235 »

pwilson wrote:
I believe "Lightoom" is actually "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom". Like many Adobe products, it does not play "nice" with NAS devices in an OS X environment. Many OS X users use iSCSI to "workaround" Adobe's incompetence at making NAS friendly software for OS X users.

Many OS X users would prefer to keep "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" despite it's challenges, rather than installing something more compatible such as GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) instead. Adobe has been around since 1982, so you'd think they'd know a few things about programming by now. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Adobe Lighroom need library file keep on hard drive, not share drive, so only need put is on isci or real hdd ( my photos and raws file i put on share drive, adobe library on iscsi disk and is works ! ).
Zotac MI553 (Hackintosh), NAS Qnap TS-453mini 6TB RAID5/128GB ssd for system,UPS APC x 2, PJ JVC DLA-X500, PCV screen, in-wall speakers 7.1 by KEF powered by Marantz, SR6011 and Remote Pronto TS9400
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

yabba235 wrote:
pwilson wrote:

Adobe Lighroom need library file keep on hard drive, not share drive, so only need put is on isci or real hdd ( my photos and raws file i put on share drive, adobe library on iscsi disk and is works ! ).
That doesn't change the fact that Adobe has been around since 1982, and that they still can't program anything properly. Their latest flustercuck is that they have discontinued support for Flash in Linux. :shock: Accepting Adobe updates is a "daily" ritual in Windows, how often does Adobe update their software in OS X?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
yabba235
Know my way around

Re: iscsi and Lightroom

Post by yabba235 »

Adobe upgrades Lightroom mostly regular under OS X - I do not know why you just accuse adobe; may have LR os x version does not require daily updates :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyE

Post by andyE »

pwilson wrote: That doesn't change the fact that Adobe has been around since 1982, and that they still can't program anything properly. Their latest flustercuck is that they have discontinued support for Flash in Linux. :shock: Accepting Adobe updates is a "daily" ritual in Windows, how often does Adobe update their software in OS X?
I'd say nearly 'weekly' on OS X and that's exactly why I de-installed Adobe Flash completely from my systems and either websites can display their content in HTML5 or I won't watch it. That simple.

OK, that's politics and a bit off the topic :!:
andyE
Switzerland
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
this is an old thread, and I understand Patrick Wilson is no longer with us. Very sad. He was cranky (like me) but he knew his stuff.
I have just been faced (in September 2018) with this exact problem, and while Adobe allows ALL the other Adobe CC programs to work over a network volume (like QNAP), the only program that cannot
easily work is Adobe Lightroom. You get errors that you cannot save a catalog to a network volume, etc. Well, it's 2018, and this is unacceptable to me. I don't give a crap what Adobe says you can and cannot
do.
As of September 2018, I created an iSCSI volume on the QNAP (it's the iSCSI target) and I used an iSCSI initiator program on my Mac (I am using a macOS 10.13 Sierra Mac). I was too cheap to pay for
Studio Network Solutions Global SAN iSCSI initiator ($89 dollars) or the ATTO Tech iSCSI initiator for OS X ($250) - so I found the old Small Tree iSCSI initiator which is free. This is only supported up until
Mac OS X 10.8, but to my shock and amazement, it loaded on macOS 10.13. AND IT WORKS, and I can now mount the iSCSI volume from the QNAP, format it macOS HFS+, and Lightroom sees this as a local drive, not a network volume. For accuracy sake - I am running the new QTS 4.3.5.

I am grateful to all the suggestions from this forum, and other forums on the web, that helped point me in the right direction. QNAP rocks.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Bob Zelin wrote:Hi -
this is an old thread, and I understand Patrick Wilson is no longer with us. Very sad. He was cranky (like me) but he knew his stuff.
I have just been faced (in September 2018) with this exact problem, and while Adobe allows ALL the other Adobe CC programs to work over a network volume (like QNAP), the only program that cannot
easily work is Adobe Lightroom. You get errors that you cannot save a catalog to a network volume, etc. Well, it's 2018, and this is unacceptable to me. I don't give a ** what Adobe says you can and cannot
do.
As of September 2018, I created an iSCSI volume on the QNAP (it's the iSCSI target) and I used an iSCSI initiator program on my Mac (I am using a macOS 10.13 Sierra Mac). I was too cheap to pay for
Studio Network Solutions Global SAN iSCSI initiator ($89 dollars) or the ATTO Tech iSCSI initiator for OS X ($250) - so I found the old Small Tree iSCSI initiator which is free. This is only supported up until
Mac OS X 10.8, but to my shock and amazement, it loaded on macOS 10.13. AND IT WORKS, and I can now mount the iSCSI volume from the QNAP, format it macOS HFS+, and Lightroom sees this as a local drive, not a network volume. For accuracy sake - I am running the new QTS 4.3.5.

I am grateful to all the suggestions from this forum, and other forums on the web, that helped point me in the right direction. QNAP rocks.

Bob Zelin
Cheers Bob, interesting.
Apple are weird not having their own initiator.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

OH - if Apple could charge money on their App store for an iSCSI initiator, they would do it !
I think they are more concerned about getting people to use iCloud, then worry about local storage.
AND I was surprised to learn that Foxxconn purchased Thecus, which was a very small competitor of QNAP's.
So who knows what Apple is thinking about these days.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

Hi,

I know this is an older thread, but have you tried out Small Tree iSCSI initiator on Mojave? I just set up the LUN/iSCSI on my NAS, and thus far I am using the Global SAN initiator in trial mode, but if I can avoid spending USD89 in 14 days, I will.

Also, I created the LUN/iSCDSI in the storage pool, and yet it feels a bit slower than accessing the shared folders using SMB. Can that be true?
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
andyE

Post by andyE »

Hi,

I didn't know about Small Tree iSCSI initiator till today but having a quick look at their site I found this:
What can I expect of the iSCSI Initiator?
Once you download iSCSI initiator, the software will be limited as follows unless you purchase a network card (gigabit or 10GBe) from Small Tree:-Will discover only one target.-Will support only one session.-Will not support changes to session parameters.-Will only support I/O size of 8K bytes.If your MAC system contains a Small Tree network card, you can support multiple iSCSI Targets, multiple sessions, changes to session parameters and be able to adjust the I/O size to increase performance.
Might this explain eventually your feeling about a lag behind SMB?

Actually I am very happy with the Global SAN initiator. It runs for years now on 2 Mac's here with 2-3 targets mounted persistently. Never really faced a problem and I find it snappier than mounting a SMB share but at least not at all lagging behind. Oh, and I am not affiliated with Global SAN at all. But yes it comes with a price and that price is for just one Mac unfortunately.

Andy
andyE
Switzerland
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

I have tried three different iSCSI initiators for Mac, and they are all three much too slow for using for LR libraries (2-300MB/s in write).

I think I'll just stick to having a set of LR libraries on my Mac...
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”