QSYNC is DANGEROUS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bendsch
Know my way around

QSYNC is DANGEROUS

Post by bendsch »

i just wanted to tell the user-community that i had very bad experiences with qsync. in teamfolders with two or more users qsync is randomly deleting files. my advice: stay away from that software, its buggy as hell.

cheers, bendsch.
NASmodesl: TS-459 Pro+ , TS-251
pwilson
Guru

Re: QSYNC is DANGEROUS

Post by pwilson »

bendsch wrote:i just wanted to tell the user-community that i had very bad experiences with qsync. in teamfolders with two or more users qsync is randomly deleting files. my advice: stay away from that software, its buggy as **.
How did you "diagnose" this issue to reach this conclusion? Have you checked the QSync folder as "admin" via File Station to ensure this isn't merely a "file permissions" issue?

You may well be right, but you have provided no information on your troubleshooting efforts, or how you reached this conclusion. You also have not provided your Firmware Version/Build numbers or QSync version number, so your message is long on "rant" and short on actual information.

If you believe there is a specific QSync version that the Community should avoid, please furnish it's version information, and how you reached your conclusions.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

bendsch wrote:i just wanted to tell the user-community that i had very bad experiences with qsync. in teamfolders with two or more users qsync is randomly deleting files. my advice: stay away from that software, its buggy as **.

cheers, bendsch.
Did you open a ticket with QNAP so if there is a bug they can fix it?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sgoeckner
New here

Post by sgoeckner »

I find more often than not that someone dragged and dropped or deleted the entry; or that both users aren't properly synched.....
fortunados
Starting out

Post by fortunados »

I am facing the same problem, I have a file in a folder sync by two users and randomly is deleted from the folder.
It happens in the last firmware update and It happened also on the previous one, nevermind if the other user has it open or not, It's a big headache

My nas is a Ts-110 , firmware 4.1.2 build 1229
qsync 1.3.3.1211
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

i opened the ticket, but frankly i believe that it won't accomplish much ....
chargedneuron
New here

Post by chargedneuron »

I have been using Qsync for a while and recently I have seen Qsync start randomly deleting files also. I have the settings set to never delete a file and I am the only user. Generally I place files into my local drive (Mac) and allow Qsync to sync the files back to the NAS.

Yesterday I went looking for a file and found that the (local) folder was empty. Then I went to the NAS to locate the file and that folder was empty also. The last place I looked was the recycling folder on the NAS and found several files there. I don't delete any files from any of the Qsync folders, local or NAS so there is no reason for there to be any files in the Recycle folder at all...

Today I am spending my day (weekend) sorting out files from all three sources, and cleaning up this mess...
depmesh
Starting out

Post by depmesh »

I am facing the same issue on a mac. Although I have chosen to replace the files on the NAS with the files on the mac, files on the mac qsync folder get deleted randomly, however, I'm lucky to find them still on the NAS, so at least I don't lose the files.
Really dangerous if you ask me.
TS-870pro
firmware 4.1.1 20141101
qsync mac 1.1.0.1219
Model : Qnap TS-870 Pro
Firmware : 20160119-4.2.0
Network Setup : Port Trunking IEEE 802.3ad
Drive Configuration : RAID5
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

this is simply not acceptable ...
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I hope everyone is opening tickets.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
codemonkey2k5
New here

Post by codemonkey2k5 »

Same problem for one of our clients. The only reason they purchased their TS1279U-RP was for the QSYNC functionality. Thousands invested and now no one trusts it. There are TB's of data on the thing and without any notice the logs will show that a random user has deleted several thousand files or folders. We have a support ticket open, but none of the techs ever looks at the previous logs so every phone call takes an hour to go over the whole history again and again.
Then they randomly go on vacation and never let you know that your service ticket will not be addressed. All the while more files are deleting...

I have yet to see any urgency from support. They do not seem to care that our clients data is being deleted.

Very Frustrated probably, probably the last time I will ever sell this product.

Tony
codemonkey2k5
New here

Post by codemonkey2k5 »

One other major concern is that there is no way to do file level backups of QSYNC. Qsync is hidden from the backup center so you are forced to backup the entire homes directory and hope for the best.
chargedneuron
New here

Post by chargedneuron »

Ticket Number #EYI-345-22087...

Third attempt with updated QSync for Mac v1.1.1.1315

Files lasted less then 24 hours before being deleted by the system...
depmesh
Starting out

Post by depmesh »

Logging out and relogging seems to have stopped the issue for me.
Model : Qnap TS-870 Pro
Firmware : 20160119-4.2.0
Network Setup : Port Trunking IEEE 802.3ad
Drive Configuration : RAID5
nbourg8
First post

Post by nbourg8 »

I've been back and forth with Qnap technical support on this issue. I have 4 computers syncing to the same qnap in various locations around the city. Each of these PCs is selectively syncing folders with the Qnap but when these deletions occur, no computer is without blame from the Qsync event log. Computers not selectively syncing are executing the deletions at the Qnap. In total, these deletions have happened 8 times now in the last 2 months with 4 of them being computers not even selectively synchronizing the folder being deleted. Fortunately, the files end up in the @recycle bin so I am able to retrieve them.

My only symptom or precursor to the event happening is when I work on files within the directory of Qsync and files are being deleted or added. If I'm simply modifying a file, typically nothing happens except the modification. But if I forget to create a folder and rename it outside of the Qsync folder before putting it inside the Qsync folder, I can expect to see this random deletion begin somewhere.

I'm now leaving Qsync as it has cost me too much time fixing and will be using the Qnap as a backup and media streamer only.

Return to “Backup & Restore”