Daylight Saving Time does not update

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
dgarsys
New here

Daylight Saving Time does not update

Post by dgarsys »

And we apparently still have the bug.

Despite picking a "local" TS, despite being in the proper time zone, and picking the checkbox for DST, the QNAp actually ended up an hour ahead....
schumaku
Guru

Re: Daylight Saving Time does not update

Post by schumaku »

dgarsys wrote:And we apparently still have the bug.
Send crystal ball ref. time zone and DST rule, NAS model, firmware and build version you claim to fail please.
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

Mine with QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150217 worked fine too.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dgarsys wrote:And we apparently still have the bug.

Despite picking a "local" TS, despite being in the proper time zone, and picking the checkbox for DST, the QNAp actually ended up an hour ahead....
  1. Which Firmware Version+Build is installed on your TS-669 Pro?
  2. Do you live in North America?
  3. Which time zone do you live in?
  4. What do your TimeZone settings look like on your NAS?
    Please review Forum FAQ: Can I post images?
  5. Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following prior to posting to this Forum.
  6. Please update your Forum profile to reflect your TS-x69 Pro NAS Model. (You didn't provide any model in your initial message. :roll: )

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
321liftoff
Know my way around

Post by 321liftoff »

Over the past 4 years I have yet to see the daylight savings function work properly. I'm just now posting as I expected version 4 to work.

This morning, my time did not go back an hour. I'm running TS-219P+ with firmware 4.1.4 build 20150522. Time is set to sync ever 12 hours. Setting is enabled to "Automatically adjust system clock for Daylight saving time". The recent daylight savings time is now "2016/03/13 , 02:00 ~ 2016/11/06 , 02:00" with an offset of "+60 min". Timezone is "GMT-05:00 Eastern Time (US&Canada)"

The date function through SSH shows the incorrect time as well.

Let me know what I can do to further troubleshoot before I click the Update button to have the clock set to the correct time.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

321liftoff wrote:Over the past 4 years I have yet to see the daylight savings function work properly. I'm just now posting as I expected version 4 to work.

This morning, my time did not go back an hour. I'm running TS-219P+ with firmware 4.1.4 build 20150522. Time is set to sync ever 12 hours. Setting is enabled to "Automatically adjust system clock for Daylight saving time". The recent daylight savings time is now "2016/03/13 , 02:00 ~ 2016/11/06 , 02:00" with an offset of "+60 min". Timezone is "GMT-05:00 Eastern Time (US&Canada)"

The date function through SSH shows the incorrect time as well.

Let me know what I can do to further troubleshoot before I click the Update button to have the clock set to the correct time.
My time switched over properly here under QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023, with my time zone set to:

Code: Select all

admin@NASTY2:/etc/config# getcfg system 'time zone'
America/Tijuana
admin@NASTY2:/etc/config# date
Sun Nov  1 04:32:08 PST 2015
admin@NASTY2:/etc/config# 
Try upgrading to current Firmware.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

321liftoff
Know my way around

Post by 321liftoff »

Well, when doing the firmware upgrade, it recommended rebooting first because my uptime was long enough that files may be in use. After the reboot, the time is fixed...doing a time sync must be part of the booting process.

So I'll upgrade and have to wait till March to see if it's fixed...*sigh*

I'll report back here with results. Until then, Happy New Year! :)
Idlewizard
Know my way around

Post by Idlewizard »

I can confirm that the time had not switched properly on a TS-x69L with QTS 4.1.4, build 20150910, time zone set to US Central (in the GUI, presumably America/Chicago). I can further confirm that a simple reboot didn't cause the time to update. At that point, I tried to log in via SSH and noticed that didn't work (the port is open, the key exchange takes place, the connection is then immediately closed).

I reluctantly updated to QTS 4.2.0 build 20151023 and the time did change during the reboot following that update. The SSH issue still remains - I don't presume it to be related and don't know when it started, as I don't use that very often. I will start a new thread for that if I need assistance after taking some more time to look into it. If it's a known issue someone recognizes, please let me know.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

I have a 469L with 4.1.4 0820 and it updated fine. I normally use the current version of 4.2 but my WDTV didn't like it much last night. So I was bouncing around the firmwares to find something that it could swallow so I could have a "Fright Night Marathon" ....... I sure hope the next firmware works. The WDTV has "frightful firmware" of it's own ...
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Idlewizard wrote:I can confirm that the time had not switched properly on a TS-x69L with QTS 4.1.4, build 20150910, time zone set to US Central (in the GUI, presumably America/Chicago). I can further confirm that a simple reboot didn't cause the time to update. At that point, I tried to log in via SSH and noticed that didn't work (the port is open, the key exchange takes place, the connection is then immediately closed).

I reluctantly updated to QTS 4.2.0 build 20151023 and the time did change during the reboot following that update. The SSH issue still remains - I don't presume it to be related and don't know when it started, as I don't use that very often. I will start a new thread for that if I need assistance after taking some more time to look into it. If it's a known issue someone recognizes, please let me know.
Upgrade your SSH client on your undisclosed Operating System on your PC. Regenerate all your Keys on the NAS and on your PC.

SSH code changed due to an insecurity.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Idlewizard
Know my way around

Post by Idlewizard »

Upgrade your SSH client on your undisclosed Operating System on your PC.
That was the issue - the same client actually stopped working for a remote FreeBSD system a few days later, too. Thanks for the tip.

In case someone can benefit from the full disclosure, it was a PuTTY 0.63 fork (KiTTY). It's a portable app that doesn't auto update and had been around for a while.
DataMeister
Starting out

Post by DataMeister »

Model: TS-563

Well I think I just had this happen to me on v4.2.3. However I didn't notice until after I updated the firmware to 4.2.4. I have Plex DVR installed and it miss-recorded scheduled shows on Sunday and Monday an hour after they aired. I noticed today the recordings were off, checked the NAS and the time is accurate (after the firmware update this morning).

I don't see anything in the log about it updating the clock though. That would be a nice thing to have logged.

EDIT: Because of the firmware update I can confirm that the clock was updated after the first reboot since it shows the system was shut down twice during the update and seems to think about 1.3 hours passed between the two events. That's about an hour longer than it actually took.
syplex
New here

Post by syplex »

Seeing this same problem with a TS-251+ and firmware 4.3.2.

Time shows up as one hour behind actual time.
syplex
New here

Post by syplex »

Lots of unhappy QNAP users reporting lost or bad DVR recordings due to this bug

https://community.getchannels.com/t/qna ... dst-change

Return to “Miscellaneous”