Re: UPS in slave mode and NUT

Post by rernen »

monitoring of the ups connected to the qnap was working until upgrade to 4.0.2
but with 4.0.2 i am unable to make it work again
curiousnas
New here

Post by curiousnas »

thanks to everyone for this thread, it really helped me out, I'mpleased with my QNAP TS-451.
I'm assuming this should work for other NAS units with the QNAP, but here's how I got it working with my ReadyNAS (as a slave) without any real amendments.
Following settings,
ensured QNAP was set to Enable UPS master & put my other nas address in there.
On the ReadyNAS (OS6.2.2)
name - qnapups
type - remote UPS
address - IP address of QNAP
user - admin
password - "used my actual admin password*"

*I'm going to try editing the UPS conf file on the QNAP to edit the password to something else...

[EDIT) - all seems working fine without messing around with the above settings, even without entering a password - unsure why it never worked before when I tied it...here's the important line in the ReadyNAS in the NUT folder.
MONITOR qnapups@qnap_IPaddress 1 monuser pass slave

a previous poster questioned how to rename the "UPS" to "QNAPUPS" that's the file that I'm sure you could edit manually as I notice you're on a older unit.
Matreiro
New here

Post by Matreiro »

First of all sorry to bump such an old thread but I really need some help.

I'm still not able to configure nut on my Qnap. I have one Qnap 219P+ and a Synology 411j that I want to put both to sleep when power goes out in my UPS with a Cyberpower CP900EFPCLCD model.

MrFixit can you show me what kind of setup you made to your yours work? Tried to pm you but wasn't able to, sorry!!!

Best Regards.
koenraadl
Starting out

Post by koenraadl »

Hi,

I also had problems with my UPS. I kind of fixed it, but not completely.
I didn't research your UPS, but is it supported by QNAP ? If yes, then you just can activate it in the External Device section of the control panel. I don't know if the QNAP supports connecting a slave to the master. Your Synology will be the slave.
Alternately, if your UPS is not supported by QNAP, but it is by Synology, you could configure the UPS on the Synology. And if the UPS-system of Synology depends on NUT (Network UPS Tool) you could configure your QNAP as a slave on the QNAP. NUT on the master, so the Synology, should be configured so it has the name qnapups (in upd.conf). In upsd.users make a user admin, with password 123456

My config :
In upd.conf :
[qnapups]
driver = apcsmart
port = /dev/ttyUSB0
desc = "APC-ups"

In upsd.users :
[admin]
password = 123456
upsmon slave
allowfrom 192.168.185.3

Please remember that QNAP does it their way, and seems to refuse to see that a timed approach is not a clever way to to these things. You can only set a time the UPS is on battery, after which the QNAP will shut down. See my post (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=108951).
I still have to make a suitable wake-up mechanism for my NAS, but I have it working like in that post.

HTH.
Matreiro
New here

Post by Matreiro »

koenraadl wrote:Hi,

I also had problems with my UPS. I kind of fixed it, but not completely.
I didn't research your UPS, but is it supported by QNAP ? If yes, then you just can activate it in the External Device section of the control panel. I don't know if the QNAP supports connecting a slave to the master. Your Synology will be the slave.
Alternately, if your UPS is not supported by QNAP, but it is by Synology, you could configure the UPS on the Synology. And if the UPS-system of Synology depends on NUT (Network UPS Tool) you could configure your QNAP as a slave on the QNAP. NUT on the master, so the Synology, should be configured so it has the name qnapups (in upd.conf). In upsd.users make a user admin, with password 123456

My config :
In upd.conf :
[qnapups]
driver = apcsmart
port = /dev/ttyUSB0
desc = "APC-ups"

In upsd.users :
[admin]
password = 123456
upsmon slave
allowfrom 192.168.185.3

Please remember that QNAP does it their way, and seems to refuse to see that a timed approach is not a clever way to to these things. You can only set a time the UPS is on battery, after which the QNAP will shut down. See my post (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=108951).
I still have to make a suitable wake-up mechanism for my NAS, but I have it working like in that post.

HTH.
My UPS is supported by Qnap and Synology that's why I bought this particular model and also because it supports true sinewave.
I've tried several different configs... Qnap as Master and Synology as slave and vice-versa that I think I've f***** the config files beyond repair... Can't trace back my changes and make everything ok.
schmueller
New here

Post by schmueller »

I just want to make my own findings public, so I use this quite antique thread...

I had the same problem connecting my qnap nas to a synology nas which is connected via USB to the APC UPS.

I solved the problem with the name mismatch qnapups <-> ups by editing the file "upsmon.conf" in /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/ups
I changed the line:

Code: Select all

MONITOR qnapups@192.168.1.77 1 admin 123456 slave
to

Code: Select all

MONITOR ups@192.168.1.77 1 monuser secret slave
After reloading upsmon it connected to the Synology upsd just fine.

I found this http://www.mtom.cz/url/Linux/QNAP+a+NUT which will help to automate the start of upsmon

Regards
Norbert

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”