Seagate 8TB ST8000AS0002; oh baby; but wait? maybe?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
forkless
Experience counts

Re: Seagate 8TB ST8000AS0002; oh baby; but wait? maybe?

Post by forkless »

Theoretically the NAS should be able to support up to 8.0 to 9.4ZB (depending on the sector size), which is the theoretical limit of GPT (unless QNAP has implemented some ceiling in their BIOS). The interface (S-ATA) has no bearing on the size limitation either.

Don't think we will be seeing any of those any time soon though, so yes you can put in an 8TB drive, whether you should use Seagate Green... well, whatever floats peoples boat. I'm sticking with something more reliable than trash desktop harddisks.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

smlick wrote:
schumaku wrote:Often overseen is the fact that the NAS does make use of a RAID for the swap, firmware, and config partitions anyway.
It depends about the personal goal!
No it doesn't. Please read carefully what Schumaku tells you above! That happen regardless of your choice of configuration for the user data volume!
So I made a simple question.....for a simple answer, work (without some issue) as a single disk in a QNAP NAS?
The simple answer is that no Seagate 8 TB disks are listed as compatible with TS-451.

The complicated answer is:
Search in the forum for the user experiences with the disk in question yourself and then extrapolate that to whatever configuration you choose to run. But please, don't come back here crying if a non-supported disk doesn't work for you.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
smlick
Starting out

Post by smlick »

P3R wrote:The complicated answer is:
Search in the forum for the user experiences with the disk in question yourself and then extrapolate that to whatever configuration you choose to run. But please, don't come back here crying if a non-supported disk doesn't work for you.
If I searched for an official answer I'll find it in the TS-451 page! I know that is not tested and is not intented the use for important data! :ubergeek:
Unofficial doesn't mean that is not working! I have a TS-451 with 16GB of RAM installed :lol: that works ok (I use it for virtualization)
As I told before I'll not use it for important data, I need a lot of space at less cost,......but first of all a lot of space!
I have 3 QNAP, I know a lot about RAID, I use RAID in other situation and always the backup option for important data. :wink:
I searched in this forum someone that tested it before and can tell us if there's an hardware incompatibility (like green etc.)......nothing more nothing less!
If the drive rotate :lol: and there is not a loss data in a normal use h24 for 7 days....for me the drive is ok for my specific use.

Regards
Alessio
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

smlick wrote:If I searched for an official answer I'll find it in the TS-451 page
TS-451 3.5" HDD compatibility list does not list this drive.
smlick wrote:I searched in this forum someone that tested it before and can tell us if there's an hardware incompatibility (like green etc.)......nothing more nothing less!
Well, the point is the absence of TLER (or however Seagate deos name it) on their desktop drives. As long as the drives don't start to develop issues, and deep recovery processes are taking place you won't experience and issues. In this aspect it's irrelevant if the HDD is used as a single drive - once installed, there _are partitions used as part of RAID1 on the NAS internal operations.

At the end of the day, it's a standards compliant SATA-III drive for now - we have a user (spent some time over the last weekend) where we managed to bring-up a RAID6 with eight 8 TB Seagate Archive drives. Note this required adding additional swap space, otherwise, the creation of the hughe file system was not possible.
horst98
Starting out

Post by horst98 »

I was able to add four 8TB Seagates to my old, small TS-459 Pro+ with only four bays. Building a RAID1 array out of two of them took 16.5 hours.

I knew the data from the backblaze diagramm further up this discussion. These four Seagates are my first in thirty years after having seen severe problems with the seagate drives. 90% of my drives are HGST-drives. If you look carefully thru the blog of backblaze then you see, that the cheap consumer drives are even more reliable than the 24/7 server drives. Strange, isn't it?

What you can see out of the data is, that WD ist becomming a lot worse and that Seagate increased quality a lot. So I decided to give Seagate another chance. If they fail in the next five years. Seagate will never be a buy in the rest of my lifespan.
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

According to what have seen so far the Seagate Archive Drives doesn't have Error recovery control (Seagates naming of WDs TLER) so building a RAID array may result in a false positive drive failure.
Please do not blame Seagate in this case.
horst98
Starting out

Post by horst98 »

Thank you for mentioning this. This is not my single backup-system. Typically the data goes on tape and is kept alive by copying it every two years to different tapes. For having a faster access to this data (tapes are stored offsite) I store the data also on these disks for two years.
smlick
Starting out

Post by smlick »

horst98 wrote:I was able to add four 8TB Seagates to my old, small TS-459 Pro+ with only four bays.
Great news! Tks for posting your experience

Regards
Alessio
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

Like I mentioned before there are no constraints on S-ATA and GPT supports drive sizes larger than anything we will ever see in our lifetime.

Whether you should use archive type drives on a NAS however is a different matter altogether.
forkless wrote:Theoretically the NAS should be able to support up to 8.0 to 9.4ZB (depending on the sector size), which is the theoretical limit of GPT (unless QNAP has implemented some ceiling in their BIOS). The interface (S-ATA) has no bearing on the size limitation either.

Don't think we will be seeing any of those any time soon though, so yes you can put in an 8TB drive, whether you should use Seagate Green... well, whatever floats peoples boat. I'm sticking with something more reliable than trash desktop harddisks.
smlick
Starting out

Post by smlick »

The main problem is not a CAP limit but an hardware issue that make the drive inoperable or with a high possibility of data loss.....like some WD green or other.

Regards
Alessio
mikzip
New here

Post by mikzip »

Anyone been using this HDD in an USB dock connected to your NAS :?:
Dieseldk
New here

Post by Dieseldk »

Anyone have any luck using this HHD in TS-231?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Dieseldk wrote:Anyone have any luck using this HHD in TS-231?
What's the issue? The Seagate Archive drives work like normal HDD ... but are intended for less data change.
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

schumaku wrote:
What's the issue? The Seagate Archive drives work like normal HDD ... but are intended for less data change.
And they are still not supported from QNAP side as of today.

Also for my Information not suitable for RAID usage, unless they don't have TLER/ERC support.
Dieseldk
New here

Post by Dieseldk »

schumaku wrote:
Setup hangs at 20% for more than 16 hours, connection to the nas is lost.
If I try to install firmware manually it fails whit no space left on the drive, it like the harddrive is not found by the system

Code: Select all

cksum=700646713
UBI device number 1, total 1726 LEBs (219160576 bytes, 209.0 MiB), available 1705 LEBs (216494080 bytes, 206.5 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB)
Set volume size to 216494080
Volume ID 0, size 1705 LEBs (216494080 bytes, 206.5 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB), dynamic, name "tmp", alignment 1
Using 120-bit encryption - (QNAPNASVERSION4)
len=1048576
model name = TS-X31
version = 4.2.1
IS_STORAGE_V2
boot/
config/
fw_info
gl352x_fw.bin
gl352x_fw.eep
gl352x_update.sh
gl352x_util
libcrypto.so.1.0.0
libssl.so.1.0.0
rootfs2.ubi
rootfs2.ubi.cksum
uImage
uImage.cksum
update/
update_img.sh
4.2.1 20160201
MODEL NAME = TS-X31,new version = 4.2.1
limit version = 3.7.2
Allow upgrade
/bin/tar: rootfs2.ubi: Wrote only 5120 of 10240 bytes
/bin/tar: rootfs2.ubi.cksum: Cannot write: No space left on device
/bin/tar: uImage: Cannot write: No space left on device
/bin/tar: uImage.cksum: Cannot write: No space left on device
/bin/tar: update_img.sh: Cannot write: No space left on device
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
[Firmware Update] System update failed. Firmware failed to extract. Error code: FW006

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”