IPvanish configuration on QNAP421

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
simson_38
First post

IPvanish configuration on QNAP421

Post by simson_38 »

Hi,

can anyone tell me how to setup IPvanish on my QNAP421?

Regards,
Simson
pwilson
Guru

Re: IPvanish configuration on QNAP421

Post by pwilson »

simson_38 wrote:Hi,

can anyone tell me how to setup IPvanish on my QNAP421?

Regards,
Simson
You'll need to figure it out for yourself. The NAS already provides OpenVPN on it, but you will need to use the OpenVPN certificates etc from IPvanish etc on your NAS. You will also need to write your own script to start OpenVPN on the NAS using the certificates etc.

You can store your Certificates etc in any non-volatile storage area on your NAS. The OpenVPN binary itself should be located at: /usr/sbin/openvpn on your NAS. Personally I can't see setting this up on your NAS at all. You'd be far better off if you used a DD-WRT or Tomato based Router, and implemented your IPVanish/OpenVPN configuration there, using the instructions provided on the IPvanish website. If your Linux script writing skills are up to it, you definitely should be able to implement this on your NAS, but I strongly recommend it at the Router, as this will permit you to access all devices on your internal network via the VPN. If you implement in on the NAS itself, then only the NAS will be accessible remotely via the VPN.

Do not attempt to setup PPTP on any of your devices. PPTP is insecure and was compromised years ago. PPTP also requires GRE support in your Router which may not be present on your undisclosed Router Make/Model.

I tried to understand VPN's by Googling, but I quickly found that there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and lots of different ways to implement them, so following multiple on-line documents becomes almost impossible. I finally gave up, and simply bought a book on the subject. I paid $140 for my book, which makes it the most expensive Computer book I ever bought.

OpenVPN: Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks
Published by Packt Publishing Ltd.
32 Lincoln Road
Olton Birmingham, B27 6PA, UK.
ISBN 1-904811-85-X
http://www.packtpub.com

This is the book I used to setup OpenVPN on my Router. Commonly referred to as "The Parrot Book", this book is written about OpenVPN, and how to implement it on your network. The book was very expensive ($140.00CDN), so you might want to see if you can find it at your local Library.

Good luck with setting this up. It will be difficult, but the final results are probably worth the effort.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

kc888 - posts removed due to blatant advertising. This is in breach of forum rules.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
yuanchueh
First post

Post by yuanchueh »

I think this problem is worth re-addressing because QNAP has released a client open VPN connection very recently. I have not successfully been able to configure my device correctly at the moment to connect to IPVanish.
smjohns
Getting the hang of things

Post by smjohns »

Has anyone successfully free set up their qnap with ipvanish? Managed to set up the account in the vpn client and it seems to connect ok but it is unable to receive any data. I have tried opening ports in firewall but it can not receive anything.
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

smjohns wrote:Has anyone successfully free set up their qnap with ipvanish? Managed to set up the account in the vpn client and it seems to connect ok but it is unable to receive any data. I have tried opening ports in firewall but it can not receive anything.
no, but ibvpn suports proxy setup, that works on the nas
ArgusIT
Starting out

Post by ArgusIT »

CylonCenturion wrote:
smjohns wrote:Has anyone successfully free set up their qnap with ipvanish? Managed to set up the account in the vpn client and it seems to connect ok but it is unable to receive any data. I have tried opening ports in firewall but it can not receive anything.
no, but ibvpn suports proxy setup, that works on the nas
I managed to setup IPVanish some months ago as can be seen in the screenshot on a QNAP 259 Pro. I cannot remember how I did it but I do know I had to change the startup script to make it work. My implementation also only works only on the first connection I have through the GUI (I intended to resolve this but I have not yet found the time to do so).

The VPN setup also allows other clients to connect through the IPVanish servers when their gateway is set to the IP address of the QNAP NAS, allowing the VPN to be used behind a router that is not DD+WRT or Tomato capable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

ArgusIT

QNAP NAS Model: TS-259 NAS Firmware: 4.1.3 RAID Level:RAID 1 across 2x2TB (Seagate ST32000542AS)
QNAP NAS Model: TS-469 NAS Firmware: 4.1.3 RAID Level:RAID 5 across 4x3TB (Western Digital RED)
thielt
First post

Post by thielt »

Hi ArgusIT,

You seem to be the only person that managed to get IPVanish to work on your QNAP. I was wondering if you had any more information on how you figured it out? Any additional help would be highly appreciated. What startup script are you referring to? Could you tell us which settings you used?

Thanks so much!
bighugesumo
Starting out

Post by bighugesumo »

yes please Argusit, im on the same boat!

Return to “Miscellaneous”