Protect QNAP NAS Data with Real-time Remote Replication RRTR

Discussion on remote replication.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Real-time Remote Replication (RTRR) is an exclusive and powerful backup feature provided by QNAP NAS to back up new and modified files immediately to another folder (on the local NAS or an external drive) or a remote NAS. RTRR improves backup efficiency and reduces backup time. It also supports data backup from the NAS to a remote FTP server and vice versa.

Follow the instructions below to configure RTRR options. Note that the screen shots may be different due to different firmware version.

A. Configure the settings on the remote RTRR server (QNAP NAS)
  1. Login to NAS as an administrator and go to 'Application Servers' > 'Backup Server' .
  2. Under the 'RTRR Server' tab click 'Enable Real-time Remote Replication Server' .
  3. The default service port is 8899; you do not need to change the port number.
  4. Enter a password for RTRR backup and verify the password, then click 'Apply'
Note: To synchronize files to a local folder or using the FTP protocol, you do not need to enable RTRR server

B. Configure the job settings on the local NAS

1. Go to the 'Backup' > 'Remote Replication' .
  2. Under the 'RTRR' tab click 'Create New Replication Job' to open the wizard.
  3. Click 'NEXT' .
  4. Select the sync locations. You can choose to back up data from:
    • Local folder to remote folder
    • Remote folder to local folder
    • Local folder to local folder or external drive
  5. In this example we select 'Local folder to remote folder' to replicate files from the local NAS to a remote NAS.
    Click 'NEXT' to continue.
  6. Enter the IP address of the remote NAS and the RTRR password configured on the remote NAS ( 'Application Servers' > 'Backup Server' ) Click 'NEXT' to continue.
  7. Select the source folder for backup and the target folder. To add more folder pairs for backup, select 'Add More Folder Pairs' . Click 'NEXT' .
  8. Select 'Real-time' as the backup mode and click 'NEXT' . You can also select 'Schedule' and configure the backup schedule. Note that real-time synchronization is only supported by real-time mode. To configure backup policy and filter to increase data transmission efficiency, click 'Configure policy and filter' .
  9. When real-time mode is selected, you can enable and configure the following policies:
    • Detect sparse files
    • Ignore symbolic links
    • Extended attributes
    • Timeout and retry settings
  10. Click 'NEXT' to continue.
  11. Specify the criteria for the following items as you wish. Only the files which match the criteria will be replicated.
    • File size
    • File date/time
    • Included file types
    • Excluded file types
  12. Click 'NEXT' to continue.
  13. The sync job name is generated automatically. You can modify the name as you wish
    . Click 'NEXT' .
  14. Review the configuration and click 'NEXT' to continue.
  15. Click 'FINISH' to close the wizard.
The target host and the replication job name will be shown on the list. The status column displays 'Standby' , which means the folder is being monitored. Any changes to the source folder will be replicated to the remote server immediately.

Both the text & graphics in this message are based on: http://web.qnap.com/pro_application.asp?ap_id=615

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
drengfer
Starting out

Re: Protect QNAP NAS Data with Real-time Remote Replication

Post by drengfer »

Patrick--

This is a helpful guide, and using it I was able to set up an RTRR job between two QNAP systems that reside on the same LAN, inside the same firewall. This worked fine, and I used that configuration to "seed" the destination server before installing it at my remote location.

However, I'm now struggling to get this to work when setting up an RTRR job between the systems once they reside on different LANs, behind different firewalls. I do not have static IP addresses at either end of the connection, so I cannot enter a fixed IP address for the destination server (as shown in the dialog box in the example). I am imagining (hoping, I guess) that there is some way that the RTRR job resolves the current IP address for the remote host using the remote host's name and QNAP's cloud-based server-access services (mycloudnas, etc.). However, I cannot figure out the right way to specify the server name in the configuration dialog.

When I try to do so, I get a "failure" on the Test functionality. ("Failure" is the entire message text.) In the configuration wizard, I have selected "Local Folder to Remote Folder", and then specified the "IP Address/Host Name" as "[my server name].mycloudnas.com". I enter the remote server's RTRR password, and allow the rest of the settings to default. Clicking Test results in "Failure" (after a few second delay, which does give me hope), as noted above. I've tried resetting the password - same results.

The RTRR server functionality is enabled on the remote machine.

I would appreciate any guidance and support you (or other smart QNAPers) can provide. Thanks in advance!

Best,

Doug
Atumshie
New here

Post by Atumshie »

Doug,

I am no expert, but you made no mention of port configuration at the remote end of your connection.

On the router at the remote end of the system, Port 8899 is open in my configuration. It does work, just not how I need it to work. I would imagine (but do not know) that from the configuration at your end if you enter the address of the receiving router (even if it isn't static), it would work with that port open until the receiving end is assigned a new address by your ISP.

Please feel free to ridicule - that appears to be the "Way" on here.

T
drengfer
Starting out

Post by drengfer »

Atumshie--

Thanks for getting back to me. "Great minds thinking alike"? I just logged into my router and determined that 8899 was not open. (I thought I had done that before - obviously not.) I opened 8899, pointing at the NAS, and all is good. The server-name reconciliation that I was hoping for works as expected, via QNAP's services. All good!

Now - to try to figure out how to set up a static internal IP for my various NAS servers so that I don't have to maintain these routing tables after power failures.

BTW - I sent a note to QNAP support and they responded quickly. I was just about to get onto a support call with one of their techs when I figured out the port-forwarding issue. Very responsive and friendly. Kudos to QNAP support.
corenetworks22
New here

Re: Protect QNAP NAS Data with Real-time Remote Replication RRTR

Post by corenetworks22 »

We are not getting an option for real-time sync when creating a new 2way job between two QNAP NAS units. RTRR is enabled and tests good on both sides. See attached screenshot--only the option to schedule.

Any guidance is most appreciated!
qnap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
corenetworks22
New here

Post by corenetworks22 »

Might have found the answer....

Note:
• For two way synchronization, only scheduled data replication is supported.

source: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/in ... l?home.htm
frueter
Starting out

Post by frueter »

I am having trouble setting up RTRR on a TS-879 Pro to sync files to another NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS NV+). Does RTRR require the remote server to have rtrr installed/running as well (I can't see any options for that on the remote nas)? When I test the connection I get an "invalid port" error (using the default port).

Thanks in advance,
frank
johk02
Starting out

Post by johk02 »

Hi,
We have the backup working but -
How do you recover files that have been backup via RTRR version backup?
Thanks
Jh
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Last updated: 2013-06-28
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ation-rtrr

Now is 2017 we have QTS 4.3.x, and i heard theres gonna be a QTS 4.4.x coming out this or next year.

RTRR you can do that from either backupstation, or Hybrid backup Sync (this is in beta, but it's supposed to replace bs eventually).

https://www.qnap.com/solution/hybrid-backup-sync/en/

johk02 wrote:Hi,
We have the backup working but -
How do you recover files that have been backup via RTRR version backup?
Thanks
Jh
what were your backup settings. Sync? oneway? 2 way?

mine was using rtrr one way sync to remote folder no scheduling, only once manual. on destination has shares i made which mirror the original. Everything in my backup has all the files/folders and directory structure same as the original.

If you see in backup station/HBS there is a restore :)

just be careful with this setting the delete extra files etc
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
johk02
Starting out

Post by johk02 »

Thank you for the links
but none of the links actually explains how to retrieve a backup of the files.
JH
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

johk02 wrote:Thank you for the links
but none of the links actually explains how to retrieve a backup of the files.
JH
See create restore job
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... a-qnap-nas

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”