Photo Station and Face Detection

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
chezdude
New here

Photo Station and Face Detection

Post by chezdude »

I searched the forums, and only found a few questions about enabling it on certain devices. No comments on if it actually works for users or not. I have it enabled on a TS-509 Pro (4 GB RAM) and it shows that the "Process Completed" (I watched the number count up as it was scanning), but I can't see any identified faces in any photos. I checked several of them across various dates and sizes of faces. I can manually draw the square and tag a face just fine, but it didn't identify any faces, and there is no way I'm going to manually go through 76k photos to draw the squares and tag the faces.

So, has anyone else gotten this to work for them? Is there some browser dependency? (I'm Mac 10.10.x with Safari, if that matters).

Any suggestions for things to try or ways to verify if it actually did the face recognition at all (other than the Status indicator in the Settings section of Photo Station)? Where does the data get stored, in the MySQL/MariaDB?

Thx
chezdude
danielfreitag
First post

Re: Photo Station and Face Detection

Post by danielfreitag »

same here... don't see it working yet.
yutille
New here

Post by yutille »

When I add tags to faces, there doesn't seem to be any attempt by the software to find other photos with similar faces. Is this a fully manual process?
skyplusplus
Starting out

Post by skyplusplus »

Same here... i enabled face detection by logging in as admin, have seen the process counting what i thought would be detected faces, but in every photo i open there are no tags added automatically no matter how clear the face is on the photo. drawing a square manually works but for this feature to be useful it needs to tag faces automatically and group similar faces...
thatdood
Getting the hang of things

Post by thatdood »

So has anyone confirmed that Face Detection is all manual or should we expect it to automatically detect and tag once we set a few manual face detection's? If it's all manual then this is worthless in my opinion.
Benoit
First post

Post by Benoit »

I agree, totally worthless as you can drag and drop a foto into a named album quicker then writing a tag.

Is there perhaps anyone from QNAP who can clarify whether this is supposed to work automatically or not?
glcmzz
New here

Post by glcmzz »

Same behavior also in my experience...
Recognizes the presence of " a" face , does not recognize what face.
Hi,
Glc
photodan70
New here

Post by photodan70 »

I cant get it to work either. Enabled it but cant get it to even scan on my TVS-863??
thatdood
Getting the hang of things

Post by thatdood »

Anyone make additional progress here for face detection?
coupeborgward
Starting out

Post by coupeborgward »

can't get it to work. Has anyone it working ?
BdON003
Starting out

Post by BdON003 »

Mine is currently scanning my photos for faces so I can't yet comment on whether it found any. But I'm curious to know if the system can identify whose face is in the pictures and automatically tag the photos. I agree with thatdood that it's useless if you have to enter the person's name each time you want to tag them. Can anyone comment on how it works?
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Post by johnson407 »

it doesn't work. you should just give up now.
sven1234
Starting out

Post by sven1234 »

I was already wondering what I am doing wrong. What a pitty that QNAP does not feel the need to fix it or at least react on the feedback after more than eight months. :(
BdON003
Starting out

Post by BdON003 »

I opened a feature request ticket and I'll report back when I hear something. In case anyone else wants to let them know that this feature is in demand too, you can create a ticket with something similar mine
Qphoto can already detect the presence of faces, but it should be able to automatically tag the faces after learning the faces from the user. The current face detection system helps with tagging, but it's impractical to tag faces in hundreds or thousands of photos. Without automatically tagging, the face detection system is useless to me and others on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116305
Norcino
Starting out

Post by Norcino »

The name suggest that an automated process should identify the faces, otherwise this should have been call face tagging or something like that.
As many other features in the QNAP system, also this one seems to be there just to say, "yeah we have that"...
Problem is that is totally rubbish, it doesn't recognise the face pattern adding a name of the known faces. (btw I personally think that it is not even implemented).
But it badly fails even in simpler tasks highlighting which picture has faces, many are missing and makes it really ridiculous.

Face the reality, in general buy a QNAP nas for me was a very bad choice, this is the least of my problems with it.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”