Disk speed only 3gbps

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
chipmunk79
New here

Disk speed only 3gbps

Post by chipmunk79 »

Hi, im after some assistance regarding my disk speed.
I have 3 WD Red drives (WD40EFRX) setup as raid5 in a ts-453 pro when i select each drive and see the speed of each.. One is coming up as current speed 3Gbps max speed 6Gbps all other drives (WD40EFRX) as current speed 6Gbps - Max speed 6Gbps ?
All 3 drives are running the same firmware 82.00A82, the system was running as a single disk then i added 2 new drives this week, migrated to raid 1 then to raid 5.
Thanks in advance.
disk speed.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chipmunk79
New here

Re: Disk speed only 3gbps

Post by chipmunk79 »

I have had a response from qnap support and they have said its the hard drive or the units back board at fault and have said I need to try another hard drive to see if that reports the correct speed, I have no spare hard drives as I have just brought new ones last week for my unit.
Could anyone suggest any other ways of proving which is at fault please?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The SATA connection does reduce the speed if errors occurring. Does it show 6 Gb/s again following a reboot (once your migrated RAID is in sync of course).

Seriously, except of the cache access, no HDD does exceed the 3 Gb/s anyway.
chipmunk79
New here

Post by chipmunk79 »

Thanks for the reply, after a reboot it still reports as running 3gbps where as drive 1 and 3 are reporting 6gbps. Why would the performance be different then on the drive 2 running at 3gbps as in the attactched pictures above, nearly half the speed?
Thanks
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Looking at the other parts of the screenshots unveil plenty of reasons to contact QNAP customer service again anyway ... this starts from the ATA resets and the plenty of crashes to follow.

Please copy and paste text (especially where easily available as from console output) in he future - scaled graphics are a pain to read.

I have no idea what "test" is run thee behind the numbers shown - probably a mix of cached and non-cached access - none is near to the max SATA speed anyway - neither on 3 nor on 6 GB (again, this wont happen anyway - as mentioned before).
chipmunk79
New here

Post by chipmunk79 »

These test were done using qnap diagnostics app and it unfortunately would not allow copy and paste. Could I perform these tests using SSH so that I could copy and paste the results?
Are the errors relating to a specific drive from the results I posted previously? Sorry I don't understand the results and what they mean :( but i am trying to learn and understand and i am willing to listen.
Can you suggest another way of testing my new drive to work out if its the drive or the back board of the qnap that is at fault?
Thanks and i appreciate the assistance.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

chipmunk79 wrote:Can you suggest another way of testing my new drive to work out if its the drive or the back board of the qnap that is at fault?
There are just two variables - the back-plane and the HDD. Might happen the HDD does negotiate at 6 Gb/s when connected to a different interface. We're as clever as before then...because both components can have an impact.
chipmunk79
New here

Post by chipmunk79 »

What can i do to go forward then?
I was thinking about removing the drive and connecting it to my Desktop and seeing what connection i get through that, is this possible without affecting the raid setup on the drive?
Thanks
chipmunk79
New here

Post by chipmunk79 »

* An update to my issue *

I was emailed a test to try this morning from QNAP support, it was as follows :

For testing purpose, just remove all the drives. Please don't switch off the NAS. Just put the drive 1 in slot 2 and check it out whether it detects correct speed or not. Then later pull out drive 1 from slot 2. Then shutdown the NAS and put back all the drives in original slot as it was earlier, then poweron the NAS. It should boot up fine.

I carried out this test and the drive from bay one did show as connected at 6gbps, when i put everything back as it should and powered back up all drives are now showing as connected at 6gbps. :) happy! :)
Once all on i have had a couple of warning logs which i presume are because all drives were removed and hopefully will not cause me any problems as the raid has automatically started rebuilding it self, the warnings are :

Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content

Warning 10/12/2015 16:11:04 System localhost The system was not shut down properly last time.

Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content

Warning 10/12/2015 16:12:32 System localhost [Volume DataVol1, Pool 1] The file system is not clean. It is suggested that you go to [Storage Manager] to run "Check File System".

Do i still need to run "check file system" as it suggested once the rebuild has finished?

Thanks for the support.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

chipmunk79 wrote:Do i still need to run "check file system" as it suggested once the rebuild has finished?

Thanks for the support.
yes run the check file system or the flag wont be cleared.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
chipmunk79
New here

Post by chipmunk79 »

Excellent, thanks for all the help schumaku and Toxic17 all seems to be sorted now, im a happy man!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”