nohup command

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
Bobeid
Starting out

nohup command

Post by Bobeid »

does QTS has something that resembles nohup?
netrapture
New here

Re: nohup command

Post by netrapture »

appears that it is not necessary - that processes are automatically nohupped.
For example:
start a process such as "sleep 300 &" and then logout. Login from another terminal, do "ps -e |grep sleep" and you should still see the process running...
TVS-871 F/W 4.3.4.04127 Build 20171223 (eight 6TB WD Reds )
REXP #1: UX-800P (eight 6TB WD Reds )
REXP #2: REXP-1000 Pro: two 10TB Seagate 10 ...and counting
Backup device #1 - USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station
Backup device #2 - USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps SATA Upright Hard Drive Dock
swamp2
New here

Post by swamp2 »

I also seem to need something like nohup. I've ssh-ed into my QNAP and kicked off an rsync for transferring old NAS data to QNAP NAS (TVS-471). When I close the terminal window (Mac OS X) rsync stops. Perhaps there is a better solution rather than nohup? I'm reasonably certain my old, dated NAS I'm replacing never had issues here, all rsync's would simply run, laptop, no laptop, open terminal window, or not, etc.

Also, loosely related, is there a newbie guide to getting man installed (Unix manual) and working on my NAS? I've mucked around in the forums significantly about optware, entware, qnapware, coreutils, etc. for both nohup and man but did not make any progress. Thanks in advance.
swamp2
New here

Post by swamp2 »

father_mande wrote: Hum! ... if I understand the solution for your problem is to use "screen" or "tmux" ... this command permit to detach an active screen ... so disconnect will not break the running program ... and later re-attach ... permit you to get the hand again (to see where are the running program)

screen exist on QNAP (original) ... but in the past problems exist with terminfo
screen, tmux exist in Entware-ng

Please forget to use Optware (not updated and with lot of security hole), forget Qnapware (old approach for Entware)
Thanks, sounds good. I will try that.
father_mande wrote:NB for first help on Linux ... search for Linux Course available on plenty of web site in multiple language :DD
What I meant was is there an easy way to get access to the Unix man command (for command manuals). Does Entware include man or is that a separate "add on". Any tips specifically for getting man?
swamp2
New here

Post by swamp2 »

father_mande wrote:if I understand the solution for your problem is to use "screen" or "tmux" ... this command permit to detach an active screen ... so disconnect will not break the running program ... and later re-attach ... permit you to get the hand again (to see where are the running program)
I have Entware installed and nohup. nohup doesn't seem to work. Can you suggest an exact process? Goal is to run rsync in the background. First I ssh as admin from Macbook terminal to QNAP. I would like to be able to entirely close the Mac terminal window and keep rsync running. I know it's surely simple but not sure to use screen or tmux and basic syntax. Thanks much!
swamp2
New here

Post by swamp2 »

I answered my own question. Here is something that will probably help other newbs

Intall Entware. Just paste the link from the main Entware opening post into QNAP App Center, "install manually"
Install tux: opkg install tmux
ssh to QNAP from computer
tmux
enter your rsync or other command
close entire terminal session - command entered keeps running
login to QNAP again by ssh
tmux a (get back to monitoring process you began in tux previously)

Some good tux introductory material here: https://danielmiessler.com/study/tmux/

Return to “NAS Management”