Patrick Wilson

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ademuzzy
Getting the hang of things

Re: Patrick Wilson

Post by ademuzzy »

RIP Patrick I never had the chance to talk to you but it is clear that you have helped many Qnap users like myself. My condolences to his family :(
sCoRPion_tr
Starting out

Post by sCoRPion_tr »

RIP Patrick.

He was very helpful and he will be missed.
thunderace1k
Know my way around

Post by thunderace1k »

Wow.

I just run into this very sad announcement.

It was always a pleasure to read his posts, sometimes I did it even though I had no interest in the problem.

As I've been here for some time, and Patrick as well, I feel I've lost a friend.

So sad I couldn't say "Bye".
DaveDPhx
New here

Post by DaveDPhx »

A tremendous asset to the community. He dedicated his time to help so many people and I learned from his posts. He will truly be missed. RIP
tletourneau
Starting out

Post by tletourneau »

I also just saw this post. R.I.P. Patrick and condolences to his family!
Thanks,
Tom
---------------------
NAS : TVS-871-i7-4790S (upgraded from PT) - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
8x Toshiba 4TB HDWQ140XZSTA - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5; QM2-2P with 2x Samsung 250GB EVO 960 NVMe automatic SSD caching
NAS : TS-963X - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
5x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5, RAID-5; 4x Samsung 120GB SSD automatic SSD caching
L3rd
Know my way around

Post by L3rd »

I just read the sad news, my condoleance.
NAS:
QNAP TVS-682 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .FW: 4.5.2.xxxx
QNAP TS-351 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .FW: 4.5.2.xxxx
QNAP TS-509 Pro . . [Xeon L5408(SLBBT)] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FW: 4.2.6 Build 20200821 (2020-09-02) (TS-809 Pro)
QNAP TS-212P . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FW: 4.3.3.1432
QNAP TS-109 Pro . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FW: 3.3.3 build 1003 (2014-10-09)
QNAP QG-103N QGenie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FW: 3.2.3 (2018/08/10)
EagleIDEyes
Starting out

Post by EagleIDEyes »

Patrick - Please Rest In Peace, it is well deserved!

As one of the long term, but light users of this forum I was very sad to learn that Patrick had passed. Although I had never met Patrick, I felt like I knew him as he was the most prolific guru on these forums. I often looked or waited for Patrick to post a response because I viewed his replies as the gold standard and his knowledge of Linux and the QNAP systems was unparalleled. Beyond his technical knowledge, though, one of the things I learned most from Patrick was how he dealt with the wide range of posts that are placed on a forum like this. Patrick was fair, firm and tolerant when he needed to be but would also prod people to become better participants in this forum by sharing best practices and how to efficiently communicate when dealing with some very deep technical issues.

As I mentioned, I am a light user of this forum but my most recent post was just this past week as I struggled to get WebDAV operational on my NAS. I made the post and checked back several times throughout the day hoping and expecting to see a response from Patrick. That response never came and I am sad to know it never will.

God Bless you Patrick and your family and loved ones.
Goethe-on-Speed
Starting out

Post by Goethe-on-Speed »

Wow thats so sad...I was googling a problem and found one of Patricks Answers. I was thinking: WOW, Patrick again, this guy is crazy (in a positive way)!
Then in saw his profile picture again and thought: ,,He looks like a very friendly guy".
And i dont know...you may not believe it but i had a strange feeling. Then i clicked his profile and was wondering why he stopped posting...then i found this topic.

Sorry for telling you all that, i felt like i should write that down.

I had the pleasure of getting his help once. My deepest condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

Thanks for everthing Patrick!

And sorry for my english.
ddregs
Starting out

Post by ddregs »

RIP Patrick.
Sorry to read it only now. Big loss to this community :(
ROLLINS
Know my way around

Post by ROLLINS »

Very sad just seeing this, he was the first i met on here,ready & willing to help always.
Condolences to the family.
sanfrancisco
Starting out

Post by sanfrancisco »

wow... Patrick..!

I just wanted to add my name here - you have touched/helped so many people - I'm sure this group of posters represents a SMALL fraction.
your no nonsense, direct, to the point, wisdom will live on for years to come - for me, and for many others, I'm sure.

Just today, I was just thinking about something you had written (I've been wrestling with that horrible hybrid sync beta) and how some might take your demeanor the wrong way... anyway, I'm rambling..

For me, I loved and admired his manner/writing style. He was a genius.

I'm sad to think you can't see these comments - - I hope your family/children see them.
you will be greatly missed.
warm regards from Madrid/San Francisco
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

To Patricks family and friends I offer my condolences on the passing of Patrick, may you offer each other companionship during the sad grieving times. Take care of each other, yes certainly take the time to mourn Patrick's passing, but also remember to take the time to celebrate Patricks' life, his idiosyncrasies, his humour, the holidays and times that you all have spent together with Patrick.

I have not had much verse with Patrick, however he was one of the two people here that offered his advise and thoughts as to the hardware I should invest in, blunt but direct to the point... this is what makes Patrick stand out from a lot of people.

Such a sad loss to his family and friends along with this QNAP family.

Patrick, you will be remembered, you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace with your scripts and Linux box.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Leijendeckers
Starting out

Post by Leijendeckers »

Sorry for reading this so late. Last time I had the pleasure of his help october 10 2015. After that I did not logged in to learn of this sad news.

Rest in peace Patrick, my condolances to his family and friends. You will be missed Patrick!

Daniel
TS-673 QTS 4.4.3.1381 [build 20200729], memory 36 GB, 6 HD WD-red40 Raid 6, 2 Sata M2 SSD 860 EVO 500 GB Raid 1 - caching.
BACKUPs: TS-869 PRO, Raid 6, QTS 4.3.4.0435 [build 20171230].
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Always there, always willing, always positive - That was Patrick!
Many times I envied his ability to stay calm and polite even when we chose to be rude, critical or frustrated and perhaps took it out on him.

R.I.P Patrick... You became my hero!

Oyvind
ImageImageImage
GTunney
Been there, done that

Post by GTunney »

I never got really got on with Patrick and certainly didn't agree with his tone towards other members but under circumstances like this it's all quickly forgetten.

That being said he was a credit to this forum and helped many many people.

R.I.P Patrick.
Model: TS-653B 8GB
Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital WD40EFRX - RAID 5
Total Storage: 7.2TB
Applications: Plex MS | Watcher3 | QSabnzbd+ | QSickrage | Home Assistant | Kodi v18.4 MySQL
Other Devices: Netgear D7000 AC1900 VDSL Router | FTTC - 80/20 | Netgear GS108 Gigabit Switch

Return to “Users' Corner”