WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by itsmarcos »

Shutdown the NAS, remove the disk and put it in a machine where you can run WD's lifeguard diagnostic tools. If faults are found talk with WD for a replacement. If not, it's an issue of the NAS.

PS: I assume that you have a safe copy of your data on a separate storage device.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

@ onehans:

I had the same issue with the never completing short test on one of my WD30EFRX drives.
The full test worked on the NAS as well as on a different PC with WDDLG Disagnostics.
The short test failed on the NAS and as well in WDDLG.
Smart status reported was always GOOD.

Being concerned about the failing SMART test, i sent an email to WD and they said the drive qualifies for replacement.

In my case i sent the drive back to the reseller and got a replacement shipped 2 days later.
WD said if the reseller wouldn't accept the return they would replace it themselves.
Last edited by ichbinsnur on Mon May 02, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

itsmarcos wrote:Shutdown the NAS, remove the disk and put it in a machine where you can run WD's lifeguard diagnostic tools. If faults are found talk with WD for a replacement. If not, it's an issue of the NAS.

PS: I assume that you have a safe copy of your data on a separate storage device.
That would leave me in doubt.
The S.M.A.R.T test is completely done INTERNALLY by the drive. The nas can only read and present the results.
So a failing test is always an issue with the drive itself. (see my post above)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ichbinsnur wrote:The S.M.A.R.T test is completely done INTERNALLY by the drive. The nas can only read and present the results.
Yes - however, somehow the disk does talk to the SATA host informing about progress/finish. If this does not come in or is not properly handled, the host can still see the test as active. In this part, it can be a NAS SMART issue.
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

Okay, you got me ! :ashamed:

But that can be easily sorted out by testing the drive outside the nas. (PC with WDDLG)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ichbinsnur wrote:Okay, you got me !
Nah, I had more QNAP in mind ... every now and then, we have seen such issues with the fast growing storage block capacity on the NAS. :ashamed:
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

P3R wrote:Then ask them how they resolved the issue.
as usual very supportive....

look it seems that some software installed on my nas prevents it to finish a test. it would be supportive to help me identify app that it causes rather jump on me :S

today smart did finish but took a long time
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

ichbinsnur wrote:@ onehans:

I had the same issue with the never completing short test on one of my WD30EFRX drives.
The full test worked on the NAS as well as on a different PC with WDDLG Disagnostics.
The short test failed on the NAS and as well in WDDLG.
Smart status reported was always GOOD.

Being concerned about the failing SMART test, i sent an email to WD and they said the drive qualifies for replacement.

In my case i sent the drive back to the reseller and got a replacement shipped 2 days later.
WD said if the reseller wouldn't accept the return they would replace it themselves.
thx for info
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

onehans wrote:as usual very supportive....
It's interesting that ichbinsnur (that you now thank) said his disk, with the same symptom as yours, qualified for a warranty replacement.

As a matter of fact, making a warranty claim with WD was an advice I gave in my first post to you 4 days ago.

In that same first post I suggested that you test the disk outside the NAS with the WD diag software, which would most likely have showed you (and me) if the problem is on the disk or in the NAS. At least it did to ichbinsnur...
look it seems that some software installed on my nas prevents it to finish a test. it would be supportive to help me identify app that it causes rather jump on me :S
I didn't jump on you, I gave you an advice that may resolve your issue. It's a fact that many stop writing here as soon as their issues are resolved but if asked several may actually return presenting the resolution.

I have no idea what you could have on your NAS that prevents it to finish a test.
onehans wrote:today smart did finish but took a long time
But wait, it seems the NAS didn't prevent the test. It's just that the short tests on your disk seems to go on for 11 hours, 47 minutes and 23 seconds.

The short test on my healthy WD Reds finish in 2 minutes flat.

You obviously don't like the advice I give but fear not, I have now run out of advices and I won't bother you any more with this.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

P3R wrote: You obviously don't like the advice I give but fear not, I have now run out of advices and I won't bother you any more with this.
@P3R: sometimes, it's best to give the raw (and free) advice and don't bother getting into endless discussion loops. Some folks are better off learning the hard way.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

P3R wrote:
You obviously don't like the advice I give but fear not, I have now run out of advices and I won't bother you any more with this.
oh god thank you for that
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

onehans wrote:look it seems that some software installed on my nas prevents it to finish a test. it would be supportive to help me identify app ...
Very unlikely ... unless you play with other low level SATA / SMART access tools.
onehans wrote:today smart did finish but took a long time
Not uncommon ... some 150...200 minutes per TB are realistic.

Trouble is QNAP has still an old bug, reporting a max of 255 minutes estimate test time (while the HDD does certainly report a more appropriate time) - MantisBT ID 3583 if you would be so nice to complain with QNAP, please.

Regards,
-Kurt.
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

thx schumaku my HDD is almost full maybe that complicate things too. this time i spread smart and full test across week so one starts on monday other on wednesday, looks like it helped. before they were 1h apart on same day.
i will wait till wednesday and see if the full test will finish too.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The HDD and it's SMART test does not care about sectors used or not - it simply does not know about the effective usage. It does test simply the complete storage block, all sectors, even spare sectors, and other HDD or SSD areas required for the operations.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:Not uncommon ... some 150...200 minutes per TB are realistic.
Not for a short/rapid SMART test, which was the original problem reported here 4 days ago.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”