exFAT support for external drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
fuirippu
Starting out

Re: exFAT support for external drives

Post by fuirippu »

I'm looking for a simple solution as well to get exFAT working.

I have a WD Passport Wireless ( a portable HDD with an SD slot which copies from SD to HDD ) and it ONLY supports exFAT.
My ideal solution would be to SD > WD Passport Wireless when on the road, then plug in the WD Passport Wiress into the "one touch" QNAP USB slot

has anyone tried this?
https://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/boar ... adID=17851
there's an ipkg for exfat-fuse.

I'm too chicken (lunix n00b) to try it out.
malkazoid
New here

Post by malkazoid »

schumaku wrote:
nottooloud wrote:I was under the impression that FUSE and company were broken under Yosemite.
Now this tastes like a specific usage case again...

To me exFAT is required because of some gadgets like cameras, embedded car systems, ... and the like mainly support exFAT, and the SD card vendors default to exFAT, ... with the exFAT support on the NAS we can directly import storage media (pics, videos) or export (videos, movies) to be compatible with this de-facto industry standard, and to avoid transferring large amounts of data over a still comparable slow WLAN.

To me, external exchangeable HDD and the like are dead horses in the time of networking, NAS, ...
Hey - another +1 'kiddy' here.
kirylo
Starting out

Post by kirylo »

My camera that records 4K content uses only extFat on the SD card, so now I can't transfer my recording and pictures to my TS453A NAS because of the missing support. I purchased this NAS specifically for 1 purpose, and that is store my media content I produce with my camera, QNAP fails to do that.
As much as i sympathize with the fact that filesystems, drivers and protocols should be open and free, we have a basic need (for Media and NAS) world that Qnap fails to fulfill.

Could you at least propose a package that we customers could freely decide to PAY for and download from your app store, like all the rest of the internet out there? Without deciding what we should pay or not for and what we should or should not use in a system we payed hundreds of dollars?

thanks.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

kirylo wrote: QNAP fails to do that.
Can't agree more.
kirylo wrote:Could you at least propose a package that we customers could freely decide to PAY for and download from your app store, like all the rest of the internet out there? Without deciding what we should pay or not for and what we should or should not use in a system we payed hundreds of dollars?
Hope you are aware that you talk to a community here, and not to QNAP...

Get in touch with the QNAP Customer Service, filing a ticket on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ or use the new Helpdesk App on the NAS and set-up pressure there.
cooperivan
New here

Post by cooperivan »

2016 and still nothing :'( Even Synology supports that https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/exFAT
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

cooperivan wrote:2016 and still nothing :'( Even Synology supports that https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/exFAT
exFAT is neither a core functionality for NAS storage operations nor required for Virtualisation, Application Containers, IoT - it's a question of priorities.

The good news is: QTS 4.3 will introduce exFAT support for external storage. As Microsoft dies charge high license fees and as explained above QNAP does not see it as a core function, it will be a pay-license per NAS (similar to Syno)

Regards,
-Kurt.
Nikonian01
First post

Post by Nikonian01 »

Hey QNAP, my video equipment is using exFAT (Atomos Ninja 2). I want to load my exFAT external hard drives onto my NAS. I'm looking for native support. I like my QNAP, but if other competitors are doing it on their NAS devices, I may have to go with them in the future.

It's a simple things I want to do: I want to copy my files from my external hard drive formatted in exFAT onto the NAS.

I am able to do this with my SD cards (formatted in FAT32). Make it happen, and I won't have a reason to leave.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Nikonian01 wrote:I want to load my exFAT external hard drives onto my NAS. I'm looking for native support.
There is no native exFAT support on any other operating system but Windows, Windows embedded, and Windows mobile. :geek:
Nikonian01 wrote:I like my QNAP, but if other competitors are doing it on their NAS devices, I may have to go with them in the future.
If you had read my previous reply in this thread before posting ...
schumaku wrote:The good news is: QTS 4.3 will introduce exFAT support for external storage. As Microsoft dies charge high license fees and as explained above QNAP does not see it as a core function, it will be a pay-license per NAS (similar to Syno)
whoisnader
Know my way around

Post by whoisnader »

schumaku wrote:
Nikonian01 wrote:I want to load my exFAT external hard drives onto my NAS. I'm looking for native support.
There is no native exFAT support on any other operating system but Windows, Windows embedded, and Windows mobile. :geek:

Not quite Kurt, Mac OS supports exFat read/write without any additional software installed. Even my Tomato Shibby router (Netgear R7000) supports exFat.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

OK - I won't go into the discussion what a native file system is...
whoisnader wrote:Mac OS supports exFat read/write without any additional software installed.
Apple paid a lot of money to Microsoft to include exFAT support (however it's implemented). Does OS X allow to share an exFAT file system to the network by SMB, AFP, ....?
whoisnader wrote:Even my Tomato Shibby router (Netgear R7000) supports exFat.
The fact that some Open Source platforms (intentionally I don't say commercial distributions) come with an exFAT support does not inherit a valid license for commercial distribution or usage. Needless to say, that a FUSE is not a native file system again.
MatthewFIU
Starting out

Post by MatthewFIU »

schumaku wrote: The good news is: QTS 4.3 will introduce exFAT support for external storage. As Microsoft dies charge high license fees and as explained above QNAP does not see it as a core function, it will be a pay-license per NAS (similar to Syno)
That's cool. So, once it's available, it'll be a license that we can purchase here?: https://license.qnap.com/
whoisnader
Know my way around

Post by whoisnader »

I hope that is not how they are going to hand this but rather that it comes bundled in with the server. I hope that qnap is able to come to some kind of arrangement with Microsoft where they can retrospectively add support to existing NAS and pay a license of any new d levices sold and bundle the license cost into the price of the device.
veggiespam
New here

Post by veggiespam »

kupy123 wrote:Just in case anyone really needs it, it turns out its not that difficult to get an exFAT device mounted on an Intel based QNAP.

The QNAP already has all needed libraries to use the current exfat-fuse implementation.

It will require SSH access and a bit of shell knowledge but it's reasonably easy.

What I did was to download the exfat-fuse ubuntu 12.04.5 deb file on a linux machine. Unpack the deb file. Copy the mount.exfat-fuse binary to my qnap. And launch it using the proper libraries.
I performed a similar this trick, but I don't have Ubuntu or another machine with dpkg or deb processing software installed. So, I used MacOS/OSX to extract the files I needed, but these instructions will work on any minimalistic Unix machine that doesn't use dpkg and this will even Windows with Cygwin. The Qnap firmware 4.2.1 does not have the Unix command ar installed, so you cannot run this directly on the NAS.
  1. Download Exfat Fuse from somewhere; I used http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/i386/ ... e/download (v1.0.1) and http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/i386/ ... s/download But, http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/i386/ ... e/download (v1.2.3) may also work.
  2. In a temporary folder, run

Code: Select all

ar -x exfat-fuse_1.0.1-1_i386.deb
  3. You will now see data.tar.gz, control.tar.gz, and delian-binary
  4. Rename the data file with

mv data.tar.gz fuse.tar.gz
  5. Now, for the utils, run

ar -x exfat-utils_1.0.1-1_i386.deb
  6. Then

mv data.tar.gz utils.tar.gz
  7. Put the files into the NAS, such as sftp to the /root folder
  8. ssh into the NAS as admin.
  9. Now, install them into the system to the correct spots. The easiest way is to go to the root level directory with

cd /
  10. Run

tar -zxvfk /root/fuse.tar.gz
  11. Run

tar -zxvfk /root/utils.tar.gz
Now, it is installed. Just run mount.exfat-fuse from any directory and you should see the usage instructions. Now, just follow the directions given by krupy123 earlier to mount the disk.
  1. Plug disk in and wait 10 seconds.
  2. Run

dmesg
    and look for the /dev mount point which should be of the form sd*# - the letters s and d followed by a letter and a number.
  3. Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/{that mount point name}
  4. Code: Select all

mount.exfat-fuse    /dev/{mount point}    /mnt/{mount point}
And there you go. Exfat support without the need to install Ubuntu.
Kostaki
First post

Post by Kostaki »

The good news is: QTS 4.3 will introduce exFAT support for external storage.
Can somebody confirm this?
Couldn't find it in the release note
http://marketing-materials.qnap.com/tem ... e-rev2.txt

I really need this working! Such a basic function, copying pictures from a cameras memory-card directly to the NAS ....
doolio
New here

Post by doolio »

+1 for exFAT support

My use case is as follows: I would like to conntect an external USB3.0 HDD to the NAS to perform a backup to the NAS and then have that drive be available (after un-mounting it) in turn to both Windows and Mac clients.

The online manual says that only the following file formats are supported: EXT3, EXT4, FAT32, NTFS, or HFS+ (Mac only) file system so I can use NTFS but not have Macs write to the drive or use HFS+ and not have Windows machines access the drive

How are other people making their external HDDs that they use with the NAS accessible to both Win and Mac? :S

Return to “Features Wanted”