[HOW TO] run LMS 8.x in a docker container

oyvindo
Experience counts

[HOW TO] run LMS 8.x in a docker container

Post by oyvindo »

Here is my cookbook on how to install and run Logitech Media Server in a docker container under Container Station.
This works well for me, and I hope it will for you too...
[Edit : January 2022]
Focus on the new community version of LMS version 8 and above

First you need to find a container image for LMS. There are several ways to do this, and here is one:
Start Container Station from App Center and click +Create Container.
In the search bar, type Logitech and hit return

You should see 4 repositories along the top of the list:
Recommended, Local, IoT and Docker Hub

The search function will stop at the first hit going from left to right.
So if you already have a container package downloaded locally whose name contains the word "logitech", it will find it and stop the search.

To search in the other repositories, you have to click on the "Docker Hub". That should give you a long list of packages to choose from - all with names that contain the word "Logitech". Which package to choose, is up to you, but I recommend using the lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:8.3.0 or higher.

Once you have chosen which package you want to install, click on install. In the create container window, you can change the name of the package you are about to install along with a few other parameters. Select Advnced Settings and add the following Environment Variables:

LC_ALL C.UTF-8
TZ Asia/Singapore (or whatever is correct for your location)

You will find the syntax for every other place on earth here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... time_zones.
In order for Logitech Media Server (LMS) to be able to retrieve data from, and pass data to, the outside of the container, you must mount Shared folders for it to use. Most likely your music collection is stored outside the container (it's not a good idea to store media files inside containers as they will vanish when (if) you remove or delete the container.)

Also, you need to consider how you want port mapping to be handled. By default, Container station will configure the container network in bridge mode (NAT) with an internal network in the 10.x.x.x range while your NAS probably is connected to a 192.168.x.x network. The default LMS ports (9000, 9090 and 3483) are mapped into random port numbers which change every time you start and stop the container (which means also every time you reboot your NAS). This is not very practical - for obvious reasons. [Edit: this can be controlled from the Network Advanced Setting section of CS)]
An easier alternative is to configure the containers in host mode. That way, the container becomes part of the NAS network and no port mapping takes place. Of course there are disadvantages with this also. The container suddenly becomes less isolated and vulnerable to external problems. This is a security issue you have to consider.

Click on the "Advanced Setting" and then in the menu on the left side click on Network. Then change the NAT field to host.
Then move down to the Shared Folder section. In this section, make the following settings:

Everything in column #2 in this table is from my own setup. You need to select the host path shares that you wish to make available to the container. You will only be able to select shares already established in the NAS (QTS), so unless you have already done so - you must terminate and share you music folder first (using File Station) along with any other folders you wish to use (Playlists, state etc.)
If your Music library has a lot of subfolders (several thousands), then it may take a while before the setup page becomes responsive - and you can finally click on "create".

Now the package is downloaded from the repository and the container is created. This can take a while depending on your internet connection speed. These packages are often several hundred megabytes in size. Just be patient. You can follow the progress in the console window and by clicking on the background task icon (the inbox icon in the upper right corner of the window).

Once installation is completed, Logitech Media Server is started and it takes some time before it gets setup properly and the URL becomes visible in the container window. You cannot access LMS until the URL comes alive. Ones the URL shows up, it should be clickable as an active link that will take you to a new tab in your browser and open the default LMS Web GUI.

From here on, the rest is up to you.

I am successfully running not only LMS in a container, but also Plex and Madsonic, all using the same Music library. For obvious reasons, it doesn't make much sense to run Kodi (XBMC) in a container as Kodi is not a server, and the main purpose of Kodi is to shine on you living room TV. I haven't found a way to make the HDMI i/f available to a container. I guess that's why QNAP released Linux Station and HD Station (?) :lol:
Last edited by oyvindo on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Re: [HOW TO] run LMS 7.9 in a docker container

Post by obsession »

Hi,

I followed your instructions but I hit some problems setting the "Volume from Host" during the container creation.
I can only select "Public" path, the rest of my paths are not selectable in the drop down.
From my File Station, I can see all my paths are available.

I wanted to select QNAPnas\Multimedia\Music, as my "Volume from Host"
Pls advise.
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 8.03.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 8.05.33 AM.png
Appreciate your advise. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by obsession on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

In order to add folders to the container, they must first have been created as shared folders in QTS using File Station.
In my case, I've created a shared folder named Plex_Music:

You should then be able to locate these folders when you create the container. As my container is already created, I can only show you the result:

I have seen though, that some posts in this forum is discussing problems with creating folders for use by Container Station on certain NAS, but I have never had any problems on mine.
Is your Public folder the only folder you can see? Do you have other shared folders?
Last edited by oyvindo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

Hi,

I'm using QNAP TS251+.
my Music folder is shared in File station, think i got it right:
File%20Station.png
When I create containers, I copied the docker command.
Create%20Container-DockerMain.png
and my Share Folder settings. I can only see "public" folder under "Volume from Host"->"Host Path"
Create%20Container-ShareFolder.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

Hi,

I've created another Folder "Music" in File Station.
Now I can see and select it in "Volume from Host". :)
Hopefully my created container runs and generate the LMS URL.
Model: QNAP TS251+ 2GB
HDD: HGST DeskStar NAS 4GB
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Let us know how it works out for you....
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

Hi,

I doesn't seem to work out.
LMS dun look right.PNG
M1.PNG
M-Network.PNG
M-sharedFolder.PNG
Logs captured on console:

Code: Select all

frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1006)                                              

frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::__ANON__ (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 2058)                                              

frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_dbh_sth (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 573)                                               

frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 2071)                                                

frame 5: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::sth (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1264)                                                   

frame 6: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_dbh_execute (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 573)                                           

frame 7: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1297)                                                

frame 8: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1532)                                              

frame 9: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 129)                                         

frame 10: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::_dbh_all (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 583)                                      

frame 11: (eval) (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 581)                                                                           

frame 12: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 140)                                         

frame 13: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::all (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 1435)                                             

frame 14: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::all (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 446)                                                           

frame 15: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::_rebuildIndex (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 134)                                   

frame 16: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::startScan (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 513)                                                       

frame 17: Slim::Music::Import::runImporter (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 411)                                                                      

frame 18: Slim::Music::Import::runScanPostProcessing (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                               

frame 19: (eval) (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                                                                   

frame 20: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 498)                                                                                               

[16-10-13 16:50:09.7537] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Error: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: near "  

": syntax error [for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.urlmd5, me.url, me.content_type, me.title,

me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.primary_artist, me.tracknum, me.timestamp, me.added_time, me.updated_time, me.filesize, me.disc, me.remote, me.audio, 

me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cover, me.cover_cached, me.vbr_scale, m

e.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.dlna_profile, 

me.musicbrainz_id, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.replay_gain, me.replay_peak, me.extid, me.virtual, m

e.coverid FROM tracks me WHERE ( id IN (SELECT tracks.id FROM tracks WHERE tracks.content_type IN ('ssp')  ) ) ORDER BY titlesort COLLATE  "] at 

/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 126                                                             

[16-10-13 16:50:09.7543] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Backtrace:                                                                                    

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 122)                                                                       

frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 598)                                            

frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 140)                                          

frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::all (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 1435)                                              

frame 4: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::all (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 446)                                                            

frame 5: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::_rebuildIndex (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 134)                                    

frame 6: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::startScan (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 513)                                                        

frame 7: Slim::Music::Import::runImporter (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 411)                                                                       

frame 8: Slim::Music::Import::runScanPostProcessing (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                                

frame 9: (eval) (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                                                                    

frame 10: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 498)                                                                                               

[16-10-13 16:50:09.7551] main::main (344) Error: Failed when running scan post-process: [Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: 

DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: near "  ": syntax error [for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.urlmd5

, me.url, me.content_type, me.title, me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.primary_artist, me.tracknum, me.timestamp, me.added_time, me.updated_time, 

me.filesize, me.disc, me.remote, me.audio, me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cov

er, me.cover_cached, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, 

me.musicmagic_mixable, me.dlna_profile, me.musicbrainz_id, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.replay_gain, me.

replay_peak, me.extid, me.virtual, me.coverid FROM tracks me WHERE ( id IN (SELECT tracks.id FROM tracks WHERE tracks.content_type IN ('ssp')  ) ) ORDER BY 

titlesort COLLATE  "] at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 126                         

]                                                                                                                                                                   

[16-10-13 16:50:09.7555] main::main (345) Error: Not updating lastRescanTime!                                                                                       

[16-10-13 16:50:11.2769] Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper::postConnect (374) Optimizing DB because of missing or empty sqlite_stat1 table                                  

[16-10-13 16:50:11.5057] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2149) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!                                          

oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

I can see two things from the info you've provided:
1. Docker seems to try to download a new image of LMS from the repository during startup. It's unclear why. Check out this post :https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/4238
You could try the following:
a) Disable conatiner autostart with NAS reboot (it's better that you start the container yourself)
b) Delete the LMS image you've already downloaded before downloading another one. Then download the Image again and start over clean.
c) Make sure you are accessing your NAS on port 8080 from your LAN (Docker is know to have had problems when access goes through port 80)

2. Also, I notice that you've used capital M in your path (Media/Music). I believe it should have a lower case m.
Linux path are case sensitive.
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

HI,
I've removed all the docker images. Reboot. Create a new container with disabled autostart, click create, and it starts.
I'm using port 8080 to access my NAS.

Which LMS container are using that works with docker method? I can use yours as ref instead of hunting around. :)

Code: Select all

[16-10-15 09:55:45.0652] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Backtrace:                                                                                         

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 122)                                                                            
   frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 598)                                                 
   frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 140)                                               
   frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::all (/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 1435)                                                   
   frame 4: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::all (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 446)                                                                 
   frame 5: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::_rebuildIndex (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Plugin/FullTextSearch/Plugin.pm line 134)                                         
   frame 6: Slim::Plugin::FullTextSearch::Plugin::startScan (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 513)                                                             
   frame 7: Slim::Music::Import::runImporter (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 411)                                                                            
   frame 8: Slim::Music::Import::runScanPostProcessing (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                                     
   frame 9: (eval) (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 340)                                                                                                         
   frame 10: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner line 498)                                                                                                    

[16-10-15 09:55:45.0659] main::main (344) Error: Failed when running scan post-process: [Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db p
repare_cached failed: near "  ": syntax error [for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.urlmd5, me.url, me.content_type, me.title, me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.prim
ary_artist, me.tracknum, me.timestamp, me.added_time, me.updated_time, me.filesize, me.disc, me.remote, me.audio, me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.co
ver, me.cover_cached, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, me.musicmagic_mi
xable, me.dlna_profile, me.musicbrainz_id, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.replay_gain, me.replay_peak, me.extid, me.virtual, me.coverid FROM tracks me WHERE ( id IN (SELECT 
tracks.id FROM tracks WHERE tracks.content_type IN ('ssp')  ) ) ORDER BY titlesort COLLATE  "] at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 126                       
]                                                                                                                                                                        
[16-10-15 09:55:45.0663] main::main (345) Error: Not updating lastRescanTime!                                                                                            
[16-10-15 09:55:45.1737] Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper::postConnect (374) Optimizing DB because of missing or empty sqlite_stat1 table                                       
[16-10-15 09:55:45.2528] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2149) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!                                               
[16-10-15 11:52:14.9652] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Error: DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: near ")": syntax error [for Statement 
"                                                                                                                                                                        
                        SELECT COUNT(1) FROM ( SELECT videos.titlesearch AS 'videos.titlesearch', videos.secs AS 'videos.secs', videos.bitrate AS 'videos.bitrate', video
s.titlesort AS 'videos.titlesort', videos.width AS 'videos.width', videos.added_time AS 'videos.added_time', videos.filesize AS 'videos.filesize', videos.title AS 'video
s.title', videos.mtime AS 'videos.mtime', videos.mime_type AS 'videos.mime_type', videos.height AS 'videos.height', videos.updated_time AS 'videos.updated_time', videos.
album AS 'videos.album', videos.hash AS 'videos.hash', videos.dlna_profile AS 'videos.dlna_profile' FROM videos WHERE (1=1 and 1=1) GROUP BY videos.hash ORDER BY videos.
titlesort COLLATE    ) AS t1                                                                                                                                             
                "]                                                                                                                                                       
[16-10-15 11:52:14.9659] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Backtrace: 
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

This is the image I'm using:
Docker
larsks/logitech-media-server
latest
32c988438f86
334.61 MB
2016/04/06 20:27:29
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

Finally..... I managed to get my LMS working wth some trial and error. :)
I changed the network settings to NAT instead of HOST when creating the container.

But, unfortunately my SqueezeBox Duet can't be found, it showed steady blue light.
Blue: Waiting to connect to Squeezebox Server or MySqueezebox.com
NAT.png
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

What is the IP and port number you use to run the LMS Web Interface?
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

http://192.168.1.13:32778/
Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 2.22.40 PM.png
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Well you see, that's part of the problem. Your Duet does not know how to connect on port 32778. And even if you did manage to make it connect on that port by manipulating its settings, you would have to do that every time the LMS container is run since the port number would change randomly. If you wish to run it in NAT mode than you must manually map the container to port 9000 - permanently. You can do that during container setup.
Try to connect using any one of the available smartphone apps. My favorite is Orange Squeeze (on Android).

The other thing I do not understand is why your startup command reads: docker pull larsks/logitech-media-server/entrypoint.sh
Mine only reads: /entrypoint.sh

Docker should not pull the image from the repo every time you start the container. Doing so means that all settings are lost every time the container starts (as it pulls a fresh copy)
ImageImageImage
obsession
Starting out

Post by obsession »

Yes, u are right.
My run command should be left blank. I read the notes in the docker and someone mentioned the correct run command should be that string, so I added, sorry my bad. My networking setting should be Host instead of NAT.
Why I choose NAT is because this is the only setting where the URL link appears in my container, upon many different combinations of trial and error.

I now make sure my run command is blank. Networking set to HOST.
The URL link doesn't appear in my container. I'm confused why the URL never appear as expected.
But I'm able to see the path in my logs. 192.168.1.13:9000
I open up mynbrowser to this address. Wahla... my LMS appears. I try to connect to my squeezebox duet, also gd.
Now it is running and streaming now.
Appreciate your help u have rendered.
Thanks again. :)

Return to “Container Station”