In Need of HDD Tray Screws For QNAP TS-421

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
willowen100
Starting out

In Need of HDD Tray Screws For QNAP TS-421

Post by willowen100 »

I've just received a second hand QNAP TS-421 NAS enclosure off eBay that I won in a bid and it looks perfect for what I need to host a home backup solution as well as my own media server and remote cloud server for my mobile phone access when I'm out and about.

I don't have any NAS specified drives yet to test it. However, I have found an old 40GB 3.5" HDD I was hoping to test with temporarily. Unfortunately I don't have the correct screws to screw down the HDD into the tray. Could someone please specify what screws I need as my old HDD screws are too big and won't let the HDD slide in at all? They need to be extremely flat but I don't know what to look for if I'm trying to buy a pack of them.

P.S the HDD's I'll be driving will be the WD Red 6TB drives as I've noticed owners mentioning their drives being shallower than the original screws provided by QNAP obviously when they bought they're NAS.

Many thanks

Will
Last edited by willowen100 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Re: In Need of HDD Tray Screws For QNAP TS-421

Post by OneCD »

Hi willowen100, and welcome to the forum! :D

Here's the hardware compatibility list for your NAS. The smallest capacity drive listed is 80GB.

If that 40GB drive is not on the list, it's not a good idea to put it in the NAS. :(

Is it even SATA? Or is it IDE???

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
willowen100
Starting out

Post by willowen100 »

It's an old Hitachi SATA HDD that was in my parents Dell Dimension 5000 (yes very old machine).
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Cool. :)

Well, if this helps, I've just pulled a drive-tray out of my old TS-559 and measured one of the HDD screws.

It's a Philips-head, countersunk, 5mm long, and the head is 5mm across. Thread is same as usual for HDDs.

When it's used to secure the drive to the tray, the head sits perfectly flat with the tray - no protrusion.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
willowen100
Starting out

Post by willowen100 »

Would these be the correct screws?

http://tinypic.com/m/jph9y1/2
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

willowen100 wrote:Would these be the correct screws?

http://tinypic.com/m/jph9y1/2
No, that's an undercut countersunk (different shape).

You need a countersunk screw. Something like these:

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

So, the best I can come up with after some more Googling and measurement is:
  • Thread - #6 with .32 pitch UNC thread - sometimes shown as 6/32 or 6-32 thread.
  • Length - mine are 5mm long, but I think you could use screws up to 8mm long depending on hole-depth and construction of specific HDD.
  • Head construction - countersunk - an undercut countersunk might work, but I don't have any here to check.
  • Head width - ideally 5.4mm. Should not be any larger though.
  • Head type - Phillips, or whatever you want to use. :D

willowen100
Starting out

Post by willowen100 »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I've found some UNC 6/32 threads with a 1/4" thread length with equates to 6mm. The description says "0.138"DIA" which I'm assuming is the thread width, which would equate to 3.5mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131592415946
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

willowen100 wrote:I've found some UNC 6/32 threads with a 1/4" thread length with equates to 6mm. The description says "0.138"DIA" which I'm assuming is the thread width, which would equate to 3.5mm.
I could not see the head-width measurement in that listing. You may need to ask the seller about this. If it's too wide, it won't sit correctly in the drive-tray's recessed hole.

willowen100
Starting out

Post by willowen100 »

OneCD wrote:
willowen100 wrote:I've found some UNC 6/32 threads with a 1/4" thread length with equates to 6mm. The description says "0.138"DIA" which I'm assuming is the thread width, which would equate to 3.5mm.
I could not see the head-width measurement in that listing. You may need to ask the seller about this. If it's too wide, it won't sit correctly in the drive-tray's recessed hole.
I've just messaged the seller. Will get back to you soon as I get a reply.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The heads on the screws supplied (and required) are extremely small and flat, it's at least 120° (standards are 90°), head outer diameter is about 5.3 mm max.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Go to a local computer shop. I'm sure they will have the screws you need.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
willowen100
Starting out

Post by willowen100 »

Hey guys I still unfortunately haven't found any screws as the guy from eBay never got back to me. I've also looked around on the web but don't seem to have any luck. If I contacted QNAP are they likely to just send me some screws. I'm not wasting money on new trays just to get replacement screws. That's just clearly ripping me off.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

willowen100 wrote:Hey guys I still unfortunately haven't found any screws as the guy from eBay never got back to me. I've also looked around on the web but don't seem to have any luck. If I contacted QNAP are they likely to just send me some screws. I'm not wasting money on new trays just to get replacement screws. That's just clearly ripping me off.
did you try making a support ticket to qnap explaining about the screws. i'm sure they can work something out for you :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

willowen100 wrote:I've also looked around on the web but don't seem to have any luck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-ORIGINAL-QNA ... Sw-kdXyV24

I think you'd be safe with these. ;)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”