Glacier Backup to Existing Vault

branflakes
New here

Glacier Backup to Existing Vault

Post by branflakes »

Based on the documentation I've read, you should be able to backup to an existing vault.

However, when on Step 6/9, when I enter my existing Vault name, I get the following error:

"Vault already exists. Please enter an unused vault name for creating a new vault."

I don't see any option for selecting an existing vault, nor does it really say anything about creating a new one.

Thoughts?
Mathewsd
First post

Re: Glacier Backup to Existing Vault

Post by Mathewsd »

i'm experiencing same issue since upgrading to Glacier 1.1.379. Is there a resolution?
onsibus
New here

Post by onsibus »

Same problem ...
mfsd
New here

Post by mfsd »

There seems to be a general problem with Glacier. I cannot even backup to new vaults.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=326&t=125536
TechnoParanoia
First post

Post by TechnoParanoia »

I too am receiving the error and since the first post was on 3/11/2016 and it's now 9/8/2016 it doesn't appear this is going to be a quick fix. Does anyone have a workaround ?
Barnacle
First post

Post by Barnacle »

I registered specifically to ask about this. I'm pretty disappointed in my QNAP purchase so far. I chose it so I could do recurring backups to Glacier but this limitation makes it unusable for my needs. Not to mention that I had to run an initial test in CloudberryBackup to get a detailed enough error message to troubleshoot my Glacier security issues.

I'm tired of companies providing bare minimum of functionality so they can include a feature on marketing material.
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

I also had this error.

Has anyone tried again recently? I've received a couple of updates to the glacier app, but haven't tried a backup in a while...
QNap - TS-453 Pro
lehrblogger
Starting out

Post by lehrblogger »

There's a related thread about this, and I'm cross posting my comment here because this thread has more activity:
I've gotten this error several times as well: after deleting and recreating the backup job, after reinstalling and reconfiguring the Glacier app, and after changing the credentials for the AWS IAM user account used by the Glacier app.

I have not yet found a solution other than re-uploading everything again and deleting the old vault. This is a waste of money, because then I have to pay for the upload requests, and pay to store multiple copies of my data, and in some cases, pay the charge for deleting the data prior 90 days.

Is there a technical reason for this limitation, or is there hope that this will be fixed in an upcoming version of the Glacier app?
lehrblogger
Starting out

Post by lehrblogger »

Someone mentioned in another thread that QNAP support recommended trying the Hybrid Backup app instead of the Glacier app. I haven't done so yet, but at a glance, you can select an existing vault from a dropdown.
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

lehrblogger wrote:Someone mentioned in another thread that QNAP support recommended trying the Hybrid Backup app instead of the Glacier app. I haven't done so yet, but at a glance, you can select an existing vault from a dropdown.
Thanks for responding and the link. This is very cool, and I'm assuming a new feature within the 4.2 QTS release. I'm not seeing some of the granularity in the settings (via the tutorial, but I'll look for more documentation) like you have with the glacier app itself (chunk size, number of files to sync at once, bandwidth limitation, etc) - but I'm sure if this is the intended tool long term to use from QNAP, these features will eventually be integrated.

EDIT - I've played with the hybrid backup and find the interface excellent. However, the app is listed as still being in 'beta' and one of the major things it is missing is the logging functions of the glacier app. The only way you can monitor the hybrid job is seeing how much data it has uploaded and weather or not the job was successful. I'm hoping QNAP will integrate in the more robust logging functions of the regular backup apps in the future.

EDIT - well now i feel stupid. If you click on the running job, you get the logging functions. 8)
Last edited by rjspring on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
QNap - TS-453 Pro
lehrblogger
Starting out

Post by lehrblogger »

I looked around at the new app a little, which says "Hybrid Backup Sync – Beta" on my QNAP desktop. Unfortunately, the question mark next to the "Vault name" dropdown says:
You can use only non-existent vault for a backup job. A new vault will be created automatically during backup.
On the bright side, there is a "Multipart size" option. Still, I'm optimistic that it will improve over time.
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

You can use only non-existent vault for a backup job. A new vault will be created automatically during backup.
Yes, for each new job (or if you modify the existing job name) - you will need to make sure the vault name isn't in use. The app also wont' 'sync' up with an existing vault, so you basically need to start over.
QNap - TS-453 Pro
NAS_hans
Getting the hang of things

Post by NAS_hans »

rjspring wrote:
Yes, for each new job (or if you modify the existing job name) - you will need to make sure the vault name isn't in use. The app also wont' 'sync' up with an existing vault, so you basically need to start over.
I ran into this issue yesterday (using Hybrid Backup Sync app), trying to backup files into an existing Vault. I am only backing up files that have been modified since previous backup. I did create a new job for this, so that's probably why it didn't let me backup into the existing Vault.

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to backup (new or modified) files into an existing Vault, as long as I don't create a new job, or modify the job name?
lehrblogger
Starting out

Post by lehrblogger »

NAS_hans wrote: So if I understand correctly, I should be able to backup (new or modified) files into an existing Vault, as long as I don't create a new job, or modify the job name?
Correct. In general, at least with the old Glacier app, you can make whatever changes you want to the files in the directory being backed up, but changes to the backup job itself will require the creation of a new Vault. Note that the latter includes changing the credentials for the AWS IAM user that had access to Glacier; while it seems reasonable that some settings are Vault-specific, that one in particular seems like it cannot be necessary from a technical point of view, so I have hope that QNAP might add more robust Vault reuse in the future.
rjspring
Starting out

Post by rjspring »

NAS_hans wrote:
So if I understand correctly, I should be able to backup (new or modified) files into an existing Vault, as long as I don't create a new job, or modify the job name?
Yes, that has been my personal past experience anyways...
QNap - TS-453 Pro

Return to “Amazon Glacier”