TS-451+ Upgrade RAM Recommendation

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
awraynor
New here

TS-451+ Upgrade RAM Recommendation

Post by awraynor »

I've been running WHS v1 and then WHS 2011 for nearly 10 years. My current server has 8GB of RAM and an OG Core i7 processor. That's
good, but the bad is that is produces a ton of heat and the restores have become unreliable.

After much discusion with my friends at homeservershow.com I decided on a QNAP box. I waited and when the new TS-451+ came out
I purchased one as a Christmas present for myself. I will use it as a storage target with VEEAM or Acronis on the client PC's. The other use
is as a Plex Media Server which makes me a little nervous given the specs of the 451+.

Nonetheless I have 4x4TB of WD Reds ready to go in and I''m looking to upgrade the RAM. I suppose 8GB of RAM is sufficient, but like everyone
else wonder what is the best replacement RAM. I want to give have the best performance I can out of the unit.

Thanks for your help.
monellrt
Know my way around

Re: TS-451+ Upgrade RAM Recommendation

Post by monellrt »

Well the only thing I can tell you is that QNAP will not support anything more than 8GB of RAM on a TS-451 which is what I have. I did upgrade and put in 16GB but when there is an issue they will tell you that you have to remove all but 8GB of RAM. I have seen no issues running 16GB and the system acknowledges the memory. I originally had only 4GB of RAM and ran into memory issues but I believe 8GB should cover everything.
awraynor
New here

Post by awraynor »

Did you ever try 8GB vs. 16 GB to see about any performance difference? 8 is probably enough for me and when I figure out the
exact model and type I'll buy that.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

To our best community insight, all TS-x51/TS-x51+/TS-x53/TS-x53A can be operated on 16 GB - beyond of the Intel specs (reflected by QNAP) limit of 8 GB.
awraynor wrote:Did you ever try 8GB vs. 16 GB to see about any performance difference?
Regardless, Neither 8 GB nor the update to 16 GB DRAM does not make an i7 processor form the baseline Celeron J1900 - it's "just" more DRAM, available for buffering, for processes, for virtual machines.
monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt »

I never really saw a difference. Nothing ever made it even close to the 8GB level. I am still running the 16GB because that is what I purchased. One of the QNAP Techs told me that the system could not utilize anything above 8GB of RAM anyway. That remains to be seen!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

monellrt wrote:Nothing ever made it even close to the 8GB level.
Of course it can be used ... ie. a TS-x53A with 16 GB DRAM does permit creating a VM of 14.5 GB - just a "worst case szenario".
monellrt wrote:One of the QNAP Techs told me that the system could not utilize anything above 8GB of RAM anyway.
Look here...

[~] # more /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 16327720 kB
MemFree: 281860 kB
MemAvailable: 5517712 kB
Buffers: 259148 kB
Cached: 5224840 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB

Potentially no "common" NAS processes does ever reach this virtual memory size - they could if required... Appears the QNAP tech insight is ... limited.
awraynor
New here

Post by awraynor »

Do you have a resource to choose the correct make and model for the TS-451+?
monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt »

On my TS-451 I am using Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model BLS2K8G3N169ES4 which I purchased through NewEgg for about $100. It works fine in the system and has been in for almost a year now. The system see it as well...

Total memory 16 GB(15948.3 MB usable)
Dual channel supported Yes
Memory Slots 2 (8 GB / 8 GB)
awraynor
New here

Post by awraynor »

When I looked at accessories on their site the listed specs seem to mirror yours.

All except $250 for 8GB. That is just crazy. Although if you purchase the NAS with 8GB built in vs. 2GB
it only costs $120 more.

I took an educated change and ordered 8GB of memory like you have. I want to set it up just once.
jpirie
Starting out

Post by jpirie »

Good Morning from the U.K.
I have had a QNAP TS-451+ now for just shy of a year. I upgraded the RAM immediately to 8Gb using a Crucial Kit of two matched 4Gb SODIMM's as recommended by Crucial.
Then I installed the Beta of QTS 4.3

Since then, every time there is an issue with any of the QTS apps and it cannot be solevd by NAP support, they have targeted my hardware as the issue. I'm getting a little fed up with this to be honest.

I have replaced the drives and that appeared to solev an issue with the Help Desk app not working.

I still can't get the New Notes Station to work however and this is being blamed...now...on my Choice of RAM

The message received from the help desk tech was, and I quote:
I asked our developers for their comments, so far the only difference between our tests and yours it's your unit is using Crucial RAM Modules, which are not compatible with our NAS. Can you install the original RAM modules from the NAS, re-install the firmware and test once again.

So, it appears that QNAP consider ALL crucial RAM to be "Incompatible" I have contacted Crucial for their comments but they seemed a little puzzled at my questions and have yet to get back to me. I will persist.

Anyone else had ANY issues with the Crucial RAM? As far as I can tell the until worked fine before the Beta O.S. and, to be fair, still works well apart from some niggly little flaws in some applications which I strongly suspect is down to it's Beta status but I can't afford to completely replace hardware every time something goes wrong with the software!

Thanks for any insights you may have.

James
awraynor
New here

Post by awraynor »

I have had no similar problems.
Treamaya
New here

Post by Treamaya »

I have a TS-451 and I have tried Kingston RAM and now I bought Transcend 4Gb DDR3L 1600 ECC - SO-DIMM 1.35v . Neither have worked. The system won't boot with either memory installed. Only the original 1GB stick works. Per the spec's they should work fine. I have never had a problem upgrading RAM on anything prior to this. I have tried one 4GB stick and that did not work either. Any suggestions?
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

ecc only works in some of the enterprise models ..... that your first problem. do a forum search for exact models, Q's can be VERY picky
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
ssybesma
Starting out

Post by ssybesma »

I just found out recently this model's (TS-451+) RAM can be increased beyond the supposed 8GB limit.

Even though the QNAP'S QTS operating system obviously recognizes the additional 8GB of RAM, can anyone provide proof the QNAP's Intel chipset is allowing it to be used?

Will the system allow you to reserve two blocks of 4GB or more of RAM for a couple VMs and have both VMs running simultaneously and the OSes in each VM reporting the correct amount of memory?

To me that would settle this issue before I go out and buy the CT2KIT102464BF160B 16GB kit.

On the surface it seems like Intel or QNAP (or both) has not been forthcoming to explain this.

I sent a message to them asking them to explain the the discrepancy on what they claim vs. what so many people are finding.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi ssybesma,
The maximum officially memory supported size is 8GB by Intel
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 2-ghz.html

Return to “Presales”