exFAT support for external drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
yabba235
Know my way around

Re: exFAT support for external drives

Post by yabba235 »

All software Apple updates is for free, include new versiono os x ( sorry, macos :).
And never want any dollar for exfat driver.
So I don't see any reason for pay fees for example, exfat driver.
Sorry guys, but in this case Qnap make strange move.
Zotac MI553 (Hackintosh), NAS Qnap TS-453mini 6TB RAID5/128GB ssd for system,UPS APC x 2, PJ JVC DLA-X500, PCV screen, in-wall speakers 7.1 by KEF powered by Marantz, SR6011 and Remote Pronto TS9400
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Apple doesn't charge a separate fee but you can be sure if apple is paying a license fee then that fee is passed along to you the consumer as part of what apple charges for its hardware and/or software. Just because it doesn't appear as a separate line item on your invoice doesn't mean you are not paying for it.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

yabba235 wrote:All software Apple updates is for free, include new versiono os x ( sorry, macos :).
And never want any dollar for exfat driver.
So I don't see any reason for pay fees for example, exfat driver.
Sorry guys, but in this case Qnap make strange move.
Ha Lol

But happy to pay for overpriced hardware and Apps from their store which are usually a lot more than this exFat drive costs :roll:
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

yabba235 wrote:All software Apple updates is for free, include new versiono os x ( sorry, macos :).
QTS updates are free, too. Microsoft Windows updates are free nowadays, too.
yabba235 wrote:And never want any dollar for exfat driver.
Apple does operate om a very different financial background...
yabba235 wrote:So I don't see any reason for pay fees for example, exfat driver.
The reason to pay is if you want exFAT on your NAS. It was and is not part of the standard feature set on any QNAP NAS when all of us have bought the NAS - and it's still not. And QNAP does not have to raise the prices by US$4 for each NAS - or even more if they want the new customers paying for the existing NAS in the field.
yabba235 wrote:Sorry guys, but in this case Qnap make strange move.
QNAP is however in a good family ie. with other NAS vendors.

And many owners of average to very expensive mobile phones are willing to spend a few bucks for good Apps with a real value, too.
whoisnader
Know my way around

Post by whoisnader »

farba000 wrote:
schumaku wrote:
farba000 wrote:Why Apple don't need any pay for exfat, whitch is embendend in OS X , and Qnap do ?
Who says Apple does not have to pay loyalties to Microsoft for exFAT?
But Apple don't loads this ends users :)
And Qnap do.
Apple do prepackaged exfat into the OS. I think it came in Yosemite, as a free upgrade to all Mac machines past and current models.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

whoisnader wrote:Apple do prepackaged exfat into the OS. I think it came in Yosemite, as a free upgrade to all Mac machines past and current models.
I've explained before why this is not possible for QNAP.

Apple was and is in a different market (and product volume) position. And they had to support non-native file systems like FAT32 and NTFS before, and bring up exFAT to allow their large creative consume base working with cameras and other devices making use of SD cards, which defaulted to exFAT - and no options for anything else. The majority of NAS in the field rarely see any external storage connected. Many are located in some data centres, in server rooms and communication racks. All these don't need exFAT support.

Therefore, QNAP does offer exFAT as an add-on license for those in need to work with direct attached exFAT storage on the NAS.

The many arguments and comparisons with Apple and whatever you are bringing up, we're community members and won't change QNAP's decision. Those who seriously need exFAT ie. for camera media import, are certainly willing to pay the small amount for this add-on. For a licensed feature, and then for the well performing exFAT implementation QNAP does pay, too.
whoisnader
Know my way around

Post by whoisnader »

You read way to much into my response, I was correcting a response about Mac OS as I am a Mac dev, nothing more.
yabba235
Know my way around

Post by yabba235 »

whoisnader wrote:You read way to much into my response, I was correcting a response about Mac OS as I am a Mac dev, nothing more.
C'mon, whoisnader !!
Schumaku never wrote nothing bad about Qnap :wink: so discussion is poinless :lol: .
BTW If some model TS-xxx have sdxc capable card reader ( Photo Station, you know ), option for exfat driver should be mandatory. But no, special price for exclusive feature :?
Zotac MI553 (Hackintosh), NAS Qnap TS-453mini 6TB RAID5/128GB ssd for system,UPS APC x 2, PJ JVC DLA-X500, PCV screen, in-wall speakers 7.1 by KEF powered by Marantz, SR6011 and Remote Pronto TS9400
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

yabba235 wrote:BTW If some model TS-xxx have sdxc capable card reader ( Photo Station, you know ), option for exfat driver should be mandatory.
I had already challenged them short after the exFAT licensing came up to include exFAT on NAS models with SD card slots, no answer yet.
yabba235 wrote:Schumaku never wrote nothing bad about Qnap :wink: so discussion is poinless :lol: .
Almost never :roll:
tony74
First post

Post by tony74 »

its just a shame to do a payed license for a thing free in all other computer or nas. We payed for this nas, we payed for all the stuff inside that work with hard drive (thats not the goal for a nas ?) and we payed for the update (yes your nas are quiet expensive for that i supposed ?) On synology nas its free why not in yours nas ? just a shame !!!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

tony74 wrote:its just a shame to do a payed license for a thing free in all other computer ... or nas.
It's not free. Apple has paid a fortune to Microsoft (or has some cross patent usage contracts) to include it wiht macOS for sure.
tony74 wrote: ... or nas.
Syno requesting a paid license, too. WD has includes it wit some newer models only.
tony74 wrote:We payed for this nas, we payed for all the stuff inside that work with hard drive (thats not the goal for a nas ?) and we payed for the update (yes your nas are quiet expensive for that i supposed ?)
Nowhere in the product specs you find that it includes exFAT.
tony74 wrote:On synology nas its free why not in yours nas ? just a shame !!!
Not that I know of ... look here -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/exFAT

Lot of noise for a few Dollars. For those who need exFAT paying the license it worth every Cent. For those without a need, the NAS price tag can be some Dollars lower.
sunheat
Starting out

Post by sunheat »

You see, the fact is, $3.99 (I'm assuming it's US dollars) isn't trivial. For people who don't HAVE TO use exFAT, it's too much. If you make it $0.99 (or even better, 0.99 Australian dollars), I'd be happy to pay.

I don't have to use exFAT, but considering the options it's the all around best solution. And you are charging me that much for a feature widely available elsewhere which is a nice to have for me. That prevents me from paying.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

sunheat wrote:For people who don't HAVE TO use exFAT, it's too much.
Different from you I even HAVE TO have a TVS-871T and I'm ready to pay upwards $99 for it but for some reason nobody is willing to sell it to me for that price. It's so very unfair... :cry: :cry: :cry:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

sunheat wrote:You see, the fact is, $3.99 (I'm assuming it's US dollars) isn't trivial. For people who don't HAVE TO use exFAT, it's too much. If you make it $0.99 (or even better, 0.99 Australian dollars), I'd be happy to pay.

I don't have to use exFAT, but considering the options it's the all around best solution. And you are charging me that much for a feature widely available elsewhere which is a nice to have for me. That prevents me from paying.
..... and if gas was $0.99 a gallon i'd be happy :-0 :-0 .... things cost what they cost ...... that's life ... if you can't afford $3.99 for a SPECIFIC use that the majority don't have, how did you afford the 1k+ (including drives) you spent on the NAS ????????
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

The exFAT license is not tranferable between QNAP and Synology NAS-es?

Return to “Features Wanted”