Virtualization, Docker and qpkg

flipper203
New here

Virtualization, Docker and qpkg

Post by flipper203 »

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions. I would like to install some services on my home NAS, a TS253A (4Gb):
- Kodi 17
- nextcloud
- Rutorrent / rtorrent
- VPN server
I have different possibilities for some services. There are for example some embeded features that I can use as for the VPN server, and for some other, I may install a debian ditro on the wirtualization station and install newtcloud, rtorrent...or I can use docker with one container per service or I can install QPKG via the Qnap Club repository.
Could you help me and point me the advantages / Disavantages of the different solutions ?

Thanks for your help
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Virtualization, Docker and qpkg

Post by dolbyman »

Virtualization = Runs a complete OS in parallel to you NAS
Container = Runs a program / suite on the NAS as a container, but without the overhead of an extra OS
QPKG = Installs a program right on the OS of your NAS

There is many pros and cons to all of them .. google is your fiend
flipper203
New here

Post by flipper203 »

ok, thanks for the answer, was just wondering if people had experiences about it an advices. I'll have a look on google too
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is example threads in the forum where people run torrent clients and plex in containers, just check them out
flipper203
New here

Post by flipper203 »

Do you have any exmaple of installation of nginx container and configuration?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

i would stay away from running plex on a virtual environment unless your nas is one of those TVS models, otherwise you have the virtualization overhead on it. Plex is the only thing that I have running as a QPKG. the rest of the software that i use:

Deluge (lightweight torrent client)
Headphones
HTPC Manager
Jackett
Nzbget
ombi
plexpy
radarr
sonarr
Unifi Controller

Are all running on docker containers. I would suggest to go to the linuxserver.io website and get the stuff there as they seem to be taking care of the packages that they distribute. they also provide good documentation on how to set them up. IMPORTANT READ DOCKER DOCUMENTAITON AS QNAP will not hand hold you so you need to know how docker works beforehand.

for VPN server i would use the built in one ont he QNAP unless you have some weird stuff that you need that the QNAP provided one doe snot support.

I have used VMs before but it took me some time to understand the concept of a docker container. i am still learning.

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

xavierh wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:08 am i would stay away from running plex on a virtual environment unless your nas is one of those TVS models, otherwise you have the virtualization overhead on it. Plex is the only thing that I have running as a QPKG. the rest of the software that i use:

Headphones
HTPC Manager
Jackett
Nzbget
ombi
plexpy
radarr
sonarr
Unifi Controller

Are all running on docker containers. I would suggest to go to the linuxserver.io website and get the stuff there as they seem to be taking care of the packages that they distribute. they also provide good documentation on how to set them up. IMPORTANT READ DOCKER DOCUMENTAITON AS QNAP will not hand hold you so you need to know how docker works beforehand.

for VPN server i would use the built in one ont he QNAP unless you have some weird stuff that you need that the QNAP provided one doe snot support.

I have used VMs before but it took me some time to understand the concept of a docker container. i am still learning.
What would you recommend in terms of CPU/RAM limits for these apps through Docker?
QNAP TS-EC1079 Pro (4.3.4.0435) | 10 x 4 TB (WD WDC WD40EFRX firmware 82.00A82) | 32 TB RAID-6
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

dulcifium wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:10 am
xavierh wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:08 am i would stay away from running plex on a virtual environment unless your nas is one of those TVS models, otherwise you have the virtualization overhead on it. Plex is the only thing that I have running as a QPKG. the rest of the software that i use:

Headphones
HTPC Manager
Jackett
Nzbget
ombi
plexpy
radarr
sonarr
Unifi Controller

What would you recommend in terms of CPU/RAM limits for these apps through Docker?
with the exception of the unifi controller (100% cpu / 2048 ram) the rest are setup for 20% cpu and 512ram. they work great.

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

Thanks. In the progress of migrating everything over. I guess most you run as host rather than behind a NAT?
QNAP TS-EC1079 Pro (4.3.4.0435) | 10 x 4 TB (WD WDC WD40EFRX firmware 82.00A82) | 32 TB RAID-6
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield

Return to “Virtualization Station”