QNAP TS431 unresponsive

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Cexitime
Starting out

QNAP TS431 unresponsive

Post by Cexitime »

Hi All,

This is my last ditch effort to fix this thing before it gets used for target practice

I have a TS431 running 4.3.3 firmware, I have had QNAP support remote in and attempt to fix this box and they could not.

Currently the drive load out is as follows: 2TB | 2TB | 8TB | 8TB
the 2x2TB is one JBOD Volume, the 2x8TB is the second JBOD Volume
I only use this box as a media storage device, with very light DLNA work for the Telstra TV (ROKU) box

Roughly once its started it, it'll run fine for 30 Minutes to 1 hour, after that all the HDD activity lights on the front rapidly flash, QFinder cannot locate the box on the network, shares stop working and the web page will no longer respond, the only way to get the thing to recover is flick the switch off on the back and restart it

I have done a fresh install on the box to see if it was just corrupt firmware, I have run HDD tests all come back as OK
I currently have 2 Network cables plugged in, it is setup as an active backup

As for installation stock QNAP apps + Download manager, DLNA Media server (I have tried stock QNAP, Serviio & Plex one at a time, lockup still occurs) + The technical support ones
The Antivirus is disabled as a trouble shooting procedure.

I have attached logs from the QNAP diagnostic app {Edit} They wont attach on the forum, I can email if required

The NAS has been running fine for about a year and a half, now this has started to happen, the only changes to the box has been firmware updates.

if anyone can shed any light on what the hell is going on, much appreciate it.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS431 unresponsive

Post by dolbyman »

port trunking or why two lan cables?

when it stops responding ..can you still ssh in ?
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

dolbyman wrote:port trunking or why two lan cables?
Yep, Port Trunking as an active backup
dolbyman wrote:when it stops responding ..can you still ssh in ?
Nope, unit completely frozen

I have left all DLNA services offline overnight, and the unit is still responsive, going to re-enable DLNA and see if that is what is causing the unit to stop responding.
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

It appears putting DLNA on causes the unit to become unresponsive, going to leave it off again overnight and see if the problem disappears again
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

Another networking/virtual switch app problem, please ensure you raise a support ticket.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

ensignvorik wrote:Another networking/virtual switch app problem, please ensure you raise a support ticket.
Cexitime wrote:This is my last ditch effort to fix this thing before it gets used for target practice

I have a TS431 running 4.3.3 firmware, I have had QNAP support remote in and attempt to fix this box and they could not.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

Cexitime wrote:
ensignvorik wrote:Another networking/virtual switch app problem, please ensure you raise a support ticket.
Cexitime wrote:This is my last ditch effort to fix this thing before it gets used for target practice

Sorry missed that, if it was ok on an older firmware you might want to go back to it. I assume you've tried disabling/turning off the active backup connection to see if the problem goes away. There certainly seems to be problems with vanishing QNAPS on more complex network setups with 4.3.3 from just reading various posts on here since last week.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

ensignvorik wrote:
Cexitime wrote:

Sorry missed that, if it was ok on an older firmware you might want to go back to it. I assume you've tried disabling/turning off the active backup connection to see if the problem goes away. There certainly seems to be problems with vanishing QNAPS on more complex network setups with 4.3.3 from just reading various posts on here since last week.
I have taken your advise and turned off port trunking, sadly it still happened

I believe I have narrowed it down to when the DLNA software starts making thumbnails, I'm not sure if its just thumbnail generation or if any app that creates a high load on the box would cause the issue, what I do know is that when ANY DLNA software starts working the box stops working.

at least during the time being I can have DLNA off and still be able to access the files on the box
tombulum
Know my way around

Post by tombulum »

Could this be any way a heat/cooling issue?
If the box is getting too hot because of indexing (using high amounts of CPU) it is conceivable that it could be locking up.
Maybe try turning on the fan to full speed and see how it goes (monitoring temps as well).
Primary: QNAP TS-h1283XU-RP w/ 10 x Seagate EXOS 16TB in RAID-TP
FW QuTS Hero H5.0.0.1949 / 32 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #1: Synology RS3617XS+ w/ 10 x Hitachi Ultrastar 10TB in RAID 6
FW DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 1 / 8 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #2: QNAP TVS-863 w/ 8 x Hitachi Deskstar 6TB in RAID 6
FW 5.0.0 / 8 GB RAM / LAN-10G2T-X550
Ternary: 2 x QNAP TS-879U-RP w/ 8 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 32 GB ECC RAM /
Ternary: QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 16 GB ECC RAM /
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

No dice with the fan on max sadly, unit still locked up, quite quickly infact

I did notice that when I went into resource manager, it was complaining about the lack of RAM available, given its a TS-431 and I cannot upgrade the RAM (it is soldered I believe) perhaps the unit is not fit for purpose anymore

Unless there is a way to add SWAP via USB3 interface? but I cannot find anything on this
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so leaving dlna off keeps the defice responsive?

would a chanve of dlna servers work for you ?
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

Indeed, Keeping DLNA services off keeps the unit responsive,

I have tried Default QNAP DLNA, Plex, Serviio, Emby & Twonky, all result in the device not responding
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

I'm still surprised it's killed it.

Is going back to 4.2 not an option? Apart from the security holes going forward once 4.2 dev stops (all are currently patched on 4.2 https://www.qnap.com/en/support/con_show.php?cid=41 ), depending on if you remote access or not?
Cexitime
Starting out

Post by Cexitime »

the problem arose on 4.2 and carried over when 4.3 was released, I could go back several 4.2 versions and see if the problem persists, is there a guide anywhere on downgrading? it take its not as simple as an upgrade
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

You can do it the manual way by downloading the software and applying it in the GUI (I've done this several times myself and never had a problem, but the risk is yours to take) or follow the official instructions which Patrick links too in this thread, which has some newer posts towards the bottom from people who have successfully downgraded from 4.3 back to 4.2

Ensure all your data is backed up first goes without saying.

viewtopic.php?t=83067

Return to “Miscellaneous”