After firmware update - Volume is unmounted

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Zer0Zer0
New here

After firmware update - Volume is unmounted

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

After updating to the newest firmware, the volume is unmounted.
When checking the file system, it will return an error "Examination Failed"

NAS model: TS-451
Firmware version: 4.3.3.0154 Build 20170413
Disks: WD60EFRX-68MYMN1
RAID 5

I don't know what to do. Please advise.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: After firmware update - Volume is unmounted

Post by MrVideo »

I'm not positive, but isn't that version of firmware still beta for the TS-451?

A reboot didn't solve it?
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MrVideo wrote:I'm not positive, but isn't that version of firmware still beta for the TS-451?
4.3.3 is released on all current platforms since Tuesday.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Zer0Zer0
New here

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

I rebooted many times already and it didn't work.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Zer0Zer0 wrote:I don't know what to do. Please advise.
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
kanario
First post

Post by kanario »

I had the same problem with my TS-251, and created a support ticket. They remotely logged on, but got disconnected, apparently due to my dynamic ip changing.
Anyway, I decided to try something else, so I removed a CIFS/SMB connection to another NAS (a Synology), unplugged an external USB from the QNAP, and rebooted it.
After logon, I provided the encryption key as usual, and everything seems to be working OK now.
I hope this helps other that are having this problem.
Cheers,
Ph.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

kanario wrote:They remotely logged on, but got disconnected, apparently due to my dynamic ip changing.
You need to have a static IP for a NAS. You don't need it changing when you have other computers mounting any of the shares.

BTW, it should never have changed if it was actively being used. DHCP leases time out when there isn't any activity.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
(Thanks to Toxic17)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MrVideo wrote:DHCP leases time out when there isn't any activity.
A lease time is part of DHCP and renewals happens regardless of network activity.

If the client is shut down completely so that the lease time runs out without a renewal request from the client, ip address on the next client power on may be different or the same depending on the ISP policy.

I guess an ISP could force an address change even on still active leases when a renewal request is made but it sounds like a very odd policy to have. It could happen if the DHCP server in question have lost it's database though.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

P3R wrote:
MrVideo wrote:DHCP leases time out when there isn't any activity.
A lease time is part of DHCP and renewals happens regardless of network activity.
I've never known a DCHP server changing the IP of an active computer.
QTS MANUALS
(Thanks to Toxic17)
Entware
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MrVideo wrote:I've never known a DCHP server changing the IP of an active computer.
Me neither, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

To be RFC-compliant a DHCP-server should honor a request of reneval from a client for the same address "whenever possible" (which leaves room for creative interpretation) but there are plenty of non-compliant DHCP-servers out there.

What made me react initially was your initial statement that I interpreted as the lease time was somehow tied to network activity. The lease time is fixed and decided by the server. A client will normally try to renew it's lease if powered on (regardless of other network activity) but it's up to the server to ack or nak that request.

MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

P3R wrote:What made me react initially was your initial statement that I interpreted as the lease time was somehow tied to network activity. The lease time is fixed and decided by the server. A client will normally try to renew it's lease if powered on (regardless of other network activity) but it's up to the server to ack or nak that request.
Ya, bad wording on my part.
QTS MANUALS
(Thanks to Toxic17)
Entware
tombulum
Know my way around

Post by tombulum »

The way I read it, is that his WAN IP changed, being dynamic, not the LAN IP of the NAS.
Some ISP's can be quite aggressive with the changing of DHCP on the WAN side.
Primary: QNAP TS-h1283XU-RP w/ 10 x Seagate EXOS 16TB in RAID-TP
FW QuTS Hero H5.0.0.1949 / 32 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #1: Synology RS3617XS+ w/ 10 x Hitachi Ultrastar 10TB in RAID 6
FW DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 1 / 8 GB ECC RAM / Built-in 10 Gig network
Backup #2: QNAP TVS-863 w/ 8 x Hitachi Deskstar 6TB in RAID 6
FW 5.0.0 / 8 GB RAM / LAN-10G2T-X550
Ternary: 2 x QNAP TS-879U-RP w/ 8 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 32 GB ECC RAM /
Ternary: QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 x WDC Red 4TB in RAID 6
FW 4.3.6 / 16 GB ECC RAM /
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

tombulum wrote:The way I read it, is that his WAN IP changed, being dynamic, not the LAN IP of the NAS.
Yes that's how I interpreted the OP as well but the discussion of DHCP lease time and renewal is valid regardless if on the WAN or LAN.
Some ISP's can be quite aggressive with the changing of DHCP on the WAN side.
Yes, as soon as the lease times out but the interresting question is if any ISP will force a change even within an active lease period (which must have been the case if it really happened the way the OP described it).

I think it would be a very odd thing to do but don't dare to say that no ISP will ever do that.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”