multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking)

Post by schumaku »

JBBERLIN wrote:In my mind is that a GUI problem of QTS. More than 10 nic's the GUI can't handle!
GUI need to be adjusted anyway, permitting kind of a "tree" if non-primary VLANs.
JBBERLIN wrote:Someone can try put two quad nic's in a QNAP that have 4 GBit Ports so that you must see 12 nic's but the GUI of the Network & Vswitch App goes freaky!
For some reasons, QNAP does define what is supported, and what not.
JBBERLIN wrote:And if they allow create VLAN's that 10 nic limit is very fast reached!
As above.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Oh Schumaku... always finds an excuse. Yes, QNAP define what's supported, duh. Go figure. Only problem is, it doesn't make it any better, and statements like these don't help.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

cryptochrome wrote:Oh Schumaku... always finds an excuse. Yes, QNAP define what's supported, duh. Go figure. Only problem is, it doesn't make it any better, and statements like these don't help.
The same applies to comments on the number of interfaces supported in the current UI, agree?
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

No, I don't agree. Customers should be able to voice their opinions and wishes about the product they pay for and point out things that don't work or could work better. If QNAP would actually pay attention to their forums and maybe listen to what people have to say, the product could become better. A statement like yours, on the other hand, does exactly one thing: nothing. It's utterly pointless. Sorry.
JBBERLIN
Getting the hang of things

Post by JBBERLIN »

For some reasons, QNAP does define what is supported, and what not.
And there any reason don't support a Intel i350 Quad nic if they support in the HCL a dual port intel i350 nic (Qnap branded)... oh wait there is a reason there 10 nic limit in the GUI ;)

This exist since QTS 4.x, since I bought the TVS-x71 okay that was Dec. 2014 but now we have Dec. 2016 so over 2 years they don't start fix this problem although they have the chance with the Virtual Switch app.
Sorry for me is that a very poor stand.

Okay and why my nVidia K2200 GPU don't function in anyone of my TVS-x82 ? I think it is supported and on the HCL !?

The other thing is the community and the customers!!! have more option if QNAP start be GPL confirm and publish there source code (the current state not the old 4.0 one) so many problems of QNAP can be solved by the coummunity self... in my humble opinion.

P.S. I think we should start a petition on change.org like "We don't need karaoke feat. in a 2200 EUR NAS, we need VLAN's!" :lol:
Actual:

1x TS-EC1279U-RP @ Xeon E3-1275 QuadCore & 16 GByte ECC RAM ;-) / 10x Constellation ES.2 2TB @ RAID6 + 2x Intel 530 SSD4Cache
2x TS-EC1680U-RP V2 @ Xeon E3-1275L v3 & 32 GByte ECC RAM;) / 6x HGST Helium 8TB @ RAID10 + 2x Samsung 850 mSATA SSD Cache + 10x Sandisk X400 1TB SSD
1x TVS-682 @ i7-6700T & 64 GByte RAM / 4x HGST 6TB @ RAID 10 + 2x m2 SSD SANDISK X400 1TB + 2x SANDISK X400 1TB SATA SSD

My QNAP History:
2x 509 CPU,RAM and 6HDD Mod / 809U CPU & RAM Mod / TS470 CPU & RAM ProMod / TVS471 CPU & RAM Mod / 879Pro Xeon CPU & ECC RAM & Fan EC Mod / 3x 471U-SP CPU & RAM Mod / HS251 No Mod! ;)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JBBERLIN wrote:P.S. I think we should start a petition on change.org like "We don't need karaoke feat. in a 2200 EUR NAS, we need VLAN's!"
You have my vote!
athurdent
Starting out

Post by athurdent »

For Virtualization Station, isn't it possible to simply tag the VLANs in the Guest?
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged = 0
on my TS-253 Pro suggests, that those tags should make it to the switch.

Edit: just tried it with a pfSense 2.4 beta, seems to work.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

athurdent wrote:For Virtualization Station, isn't it possible to simply tag the VLANs in the Guest?
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged = 0
on my TS-253 Pro suggests, that those tags should make it to the switch.
Yes - it's perfect there was no limitation implemented, to VMs can make use of VLANs freely. Thank you for the heads up and the test!

Does not help much for the various NAS/storage VLAN requets here however.
Snoda
First post

Post by Snoda »

I tried to tag the virtual network cards in the VM (pfsense), but finally couldn't get any VLAN to work.
Something special to pay attention to?
Zac67
New here

Post by Zac67 »

A serious business NAS without VLAN support is a joke. I've been waiting for VLAN support for years - word was it'd come with 4.3. It didn't.
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

if i look at the network & virtual switch i can se that there is VLAN support per interace.

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

xavierh wrote:if i look at the network & virtual switch i can se that there is VLAN support per interace.
Amazing - we can do this on the untagged port using the PVID on the switch, too. Pretty much useless in reality - this is not what people are asking here. The idea is the ability to have a VPN trunk where he NAS has multiple interfaces and IP configuration per VLAN.
okenny
Easy as a breeze

Post by okenny »

Sorry to activate this old thread.....looks like this never got implemented? Did it?

I just tried to add a VM to a VLAN, lost access to my NAS. Had to use another NIC to get back in.
Still no Trunking on the QNAP anywhere that I can find?
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700K-40G with Corsiar H5 SF watercooling, 3x 80mm PWM Noctua fans, 1x 60mm PWM Noctua fan, Corsair SF450 PSU
QNAP TVS-872XT i9-9900k 64GB, Noctua Cooler
TS-653B 16GB
trendchiller
Easy as a breeze

Post by trendchiller »

No it was not implemented :-(
nickd
Starting out

Post by nickd »

Zac67 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:31 am A serious business NAS without VLAN support is a joke. I've been waiting for VLAN support for years - word was it'd come with 4.3. It didn't.
+1 +1 +1

I second, third and fourth this... This makes no sense at all.

QNAP is so eager to enter the virtualization market, yet does not provide one of its core features?
TVS-663

Return to “Features Wanted”