iphone and ipad backup with Qnap NAS

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
qwerty_88
Starting out

Post by qwerty_88 »

I want to completely backup my iphone and ipad to my Qnap NAS because my laptop has only limited storage.

What's the best and easiest way to backup everything (photos, videos, settings, contacts, etc) to my Qnap NAS?

Something similar to itunes backup / restore but it will save these to Qnap NAS not my laptop's internal storage.
OneCD
Guru

Re: iphone and ipad backup with Qnap NAS

Post by OneCD »

Sorry, can't be done. Blame Apple. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

If you are that low on disk space, you really need to:
1. Stop downloading pirated content.
2. Remove crap you don’t need to store on you computer.
3. Get a bigger drive.

Other options are:
1. Backup to iTunes, then backup to QNAP.
2. Backup your iOS devices to iCloud and enable photo stream.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

elvisimprsntr wrote:If you are that low on disk space, you really need to:
1. Stop downloading pirated content.
2. Remove ** you don’t need to store on you computer.
Not sure how the above is helpful, they may only have a hp stream or something that has 32GB of space, bit presumptuous to accuse them of piracy.
qwerty_88 wrote:I want to completely backup my iphone and ipad to my Qnap NAS because my laptop has only limited storage.

What's the best and easiest way to backup everything (photos, videos, settings, contacts, etc) to my Qnap NAS?

Something similar to itunes backup / restore but it will save these to Qnap NAS not my laptop's internal storage.
I'm guessing your iCloud storage is also full? Another option could be to upgrade the iCloud storage space for backup, it's not actually that expensive!
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

ensignvorik wrote:
Not sure how the above is helpful, they may only have a hp stream or something that has 32GB of space, bit presumptuous to accuse them of piracy.
If you took the time to read the OP’s other posts, they are using BitTorrent. While there are legitimate uses for torrents, the overwhelming majority are to download/share pirated content.
ED000
New here

Post by ED000 »

I have a similar problem. No pirating also in this case.
MacBook Pro w. 750GB storage quite full. Main reason a big Photos library and a big iTunes library. I prefer not to put those libraries on Qnap TS-453A Nas, or a separate drive. My GoPro Pics and movies also add a little to that, but most of them are on the Nas.
I've got a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB, with again lots of shooting videos and pics. Backup is then a problem. Even a library of over 200GB not inexpensive on iCloud.

Yes, I know I need to clean out libraries. But time.... Maybe after my pension in 20 years...

Photos library on the Nas would be good. But nog possible. As dat as I understood.
Any helpfull tips?
qwerty_88
Starting out

Post by qwerty_88 »

i happen to have an old ultrabook which has only 128GB of storage. my iphone is 128GB as well. I actually dont have any media files in my ultrabook but still the backup of my iphone won't fit my notebook that's why im trying to maximize NAS storage for backup of my iphone. how can this be possible?
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Then I think you asked the wrong question in your OP. You should be asking why is my disk full?

Short answer is it’s Windows.

Have you tried doing a disk clean up, delete old restore points, deleted old iTunes device backups?

If you haven’t, then you might be better off getting something like https://macpaw.com/cleanmypc
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

ED000 wrote:I have a similar problem. No pirating also in this case.
MacBook Pro w. 750GB storage quite full. Main reason a big Photos library and a big iTunes library. I prefer not to put those libraries on Qnap TS-453A Nas, or a separate drive. My GoPro Pics and movies also add a little to that, but most of them are on the Nas.
I've got a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB, with again lots of shooting videos and pics. Backup is then a problem. Even a library of over 200GB not inexpensive on iCloud.

Yes, I know I need to clean out libraries. But time.... Maybe after my pension in 20 years...Image

Photos library on the Nas would be good. But nog possible. As dat as I understood.
Any helpfull tips?
https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac does a great job of freeing up disk space. I use both Mac and PC (on my one VM) version to free up space.
chinwu
First post

Post by chinwu »

Haven't tried yet. But you can point the itune to use your qnap drive as the "Itune media location". And do the usual iphone/ipad backup using itune.
disenter
Getting the hang of things

Post by disenter »

Looking for similar solutions.. well, easier solutions to backup iphone to the nas directly.

But it seems Itunes backup directory is hard coded. You can't edit it, but you can symlink it to cause it to be saved elsewhere.

Map a folder on your NAS as a network drive, with appropriate permissions, and symlink it like the screen attached?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmruizsr
First post

Post by jmruizsr »

To elvisimprsntr ... not to say I condone downloading pirated software. However, your assumption is presumptuous at best. If you have no solution to the problem, either say you don't have a solution, or better yet keep your mouth shut. Stop judging people without facts. I am trying to find the same solution because I have the hardware and don't want to pay Apple yo use their icloud service to backup my wife's iphone.
So please, either be a positive contributor or keep your judgement to yourself. Have a nice day.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

OP - just install the Acronis QPKG from Qnap on the NAS and then the Acronis Mobile app from the IOS App Store and you can backup your iPhone/iPad.

I run my iTunes from the Qnap as I have a hardwire connection and is livable. I backup Photos periodically. You have to do a Show Contents on the Photos Library file to be able to get to the actual picture folder structure inside and then you can just copy it to a shared folder on the NAS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Noman
First post

Post by Noman »

I thought I would post for others benefit.

Step 1)
Create an ISCI disk:
Step 2)
Add the ISCI disk as a drive to your OS, in my case windows:
Step 3)
Let’s assume you now have a new driver letter Call it “I” for iPhone backup. Then create a link from your backup location of iTunes backup to your newly created ISCI drive “I”.

Notes:
Links are below you may have to read them in between the lines for different drive letters and paths. I created a separate folder on the ISCI drive for multiple usernames. You will need to close out of iTunes and possibly even shutdown your computer while restarting the NAS for the ISCI connection. You do not want the drive information to get corrupted. Read the warning when trying to restart QNAP from the online interface and follow it. I have not had any problems and created a 256 GB drive the size of my phone. It works great. Only 1 ISCI target per computer. Good Luck

mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “I:\iTunes Backup”

https://support.imazing.com/hc/en-us/ar ... _site=true

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -qnap-nas/

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... a-qnap-nas
AndreaM1t
First post

Post by AndreaM1t »

You can create the backup in a external disk, then move it to NAS to a safe storage.

First, open Finder and show hidden files with : CMD+SHIFT+. (Command+Shift+period)

Then move (or copy) the iTunes Backup directory in a external disk :
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync -> [externalDisk]/[folderName]

After moving (or copied) the backup directory to a different drive go into Terminal and type:
ln -s /Volumes/[externalDisk]/[folderName] Backup

This created a symbolic link to the new backup directory.

Then go into finder and dragged that symlink into the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync directory.

It's possible also to create a ISCSI volume to NAS and linked to it...

Return to “Mobile Devices”