[Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Did this megathread FAQ help?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 15

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Router buyers guide 2017
A basic tenet of Wi-Fi marketing is to increase the number on the box to motivate buyers. But as savvy Wi-Fi buyers know, a Wi-Fi device can't access link rates beyond the capability of its radio, which typically supports one or two streams. Yes, there is the occasional exception of 3x3 devices (MacBook Pro). But the overwhelming majority of Wi-Fi devices support at most two streams. For 802.11ac, this means they at most support 300 Mbps in 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps in 5 GHz.

A key question SmallNetBuilder tries to help answer is whether "bigger number" routers will, in fact, improve Wi-Fi performance. With top-end products selling for $300 and up, real money is at stake.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... er-classes

Thx to snb and other online sources i decided on an Asus AC68U loaded with RT Merlin third party firmware for myself a few years ago. We had some discussions here with ideas about router suggestions
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=134074&hilit=router
What is a VPN and why do I need one for my QNAP NAS
[youtube=]No9T1qT_wLs[/youtube]
Whole-network VPN with pfSense Router
[youtube=]8jYibgeAV0Y[/youtube]

How to use Private Internet Access proxy for Firefox

[youtube=]AuArmhAHgJ0[/youtube]

I tested this myself so can confirm it works. I'd however add ontop of that video tutorial, that to verify that your proxy is working, go to this site which should show the PIA server IP being used
https://ipleak.net

For PIA you don't need to user your main account username/password, instead your able to create another set of credentials under your main account, for the specific use for proxy.

If you want full protection, VPN is the better choice. Also SSL Proxy is probably more secure then non ssl proxy. But for torrent use, or non banking stuff (not so sensitive stuff but neither do you want your ip to be easily made public either) might be okay.

PS: i tried looking for a similar solution for chrome, but unfortunately all the extensions i tried did not work as well as firefox proxy, not sure why.

Do I need the SSL certificate?

GunjanTripathi 1 point 13 hours ago
SSL certificates provide secure connection via HTTPS between the web server (QNAP) and web browsers to prevent eavesdropping, tampering. If SSL certificate is properly installed on your website, then you will no longer see a warning related to "Your connection/website is not secure".
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the predecessor to TLS (Transport Layer Security), both frequently known as “SSL”, which are cryptographic protocol designed to provide secure communication over computer network. To find out which SSL certificate is perfect for QNAP, then read this article: SSL Certificates and Its types
Anna_Jack 1 point 20 hours ago
SSL Certificate is a security which builds an encrypted link between Web Server and Browser. With SSL Certificate the browser URL enables HTTPS instead of HTTP. As per the new Google update, a website must have HTTPS. SSL Certificate will also help to secure your login credentials or any personal details shared by the customer. Chances of the customer to revert back to your site will increase as they'll feel more secure to share the details. To Know About Basic of SSL certificate in depth you may have a look at the article.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... rtificate/

Why Is Hotel Wi-Fi So Slow?

[youtube=]84spE6JlG8U[/youtube]

So if netflix using laptop/tablet/smartphone on wifi is out of the question, instead if you also brought along a portable QNAP model, you could just simply bring it with you and watch your tv series/movie collection in your downtime if you have spotty hotel wifi.

TBS-453A is my recommendation for a portable QNAP Nas since it uses M.2 SSD it's rather light weight.
[youtube=]bB8Ucz9AZg0[/youtube]

By the way hotel Wifi or public Wifi for that matter is not something i'd try do banking on, or anything of importance. Even VPN over public wifi is not recommended at all
By now, any sentient IT person knows the perils of open Wi-Fi. Those free connections in cafes and hotels don't encrypt network traffic, so others on the network can read your traffic and possibly hijack your sessions. But one of the main solutions to this problem has a hole in it that isn't widely appreciated.

Read the full article here

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ses-users/

Public wifi risks
[youtube=]4YbXXW3DLQM[/youtube]

Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

web hosting on NAS, recommended?
I mean, I guess you could, but should you? My concern is that any web-exposed endpoints can be a huge security risk and it's better to let your hosting provider deal with the fallout of security issues...

Lets say you have a PHP CMS that is somehow exploitable to allow shell, then all of the data on your QNAP is available to be accessed, or worse (wiped, set up RAT endpoints, DOS scripts, ransomware etc). Not a good scenario. Metasploit has plenty of exploits you can see that can easily allow someone to have full shell access, and a quick htop can verify that QNAP allows apache to run as "admin" which has root.

Unless you set up something like nginx/lighttpd/apache in a container station docker image on port 80, re-configure QNAP apache http to run on a separate port, and in the process keep your docroot COMPLETELY separate from your NAS shares, I would HIGHLY recommend against [read: DON'T DO THIS] using QNAP's default web server (apache and the /share/Web folder).
Yes, it is likely too much to ask of an average user. My warning is mainly because of this, because the average user trusts their NAS to store their important data and backups. Storing their blog or website on the device that also likely contains family photos and tax documents is a huge risk and inadvisable without keeping the two completely separated, which is why I mentioned using docker since it keeps everything in the image contained to the image (besides config files and maybe your docroot folder, everything else on the image runs completely separately from the NAS data folders).

Assuming your QNAP provided apache has any security at all is a bad assumption. Especially considering it runs as root.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... qnap_guru/

bottomline is, you can do it, but only if you know how to set it up right. but if your newbie and the steps are just too many and complicated, i suggest probably not to, cause i didn't either :(

I would love to run a blog, but not when i can't do it without a hardened setup. I haven't had the time to really learn the steps or the motivation for it. But if anyone has a guide please feel free to share :mrgreen:

Moogle's newbie guide for what to do if your QNAP becomes flagged EOL (end of life)
Eol is when qnap no longer supports your Nas, either by providing limited support or none at all. It could be firmware update maintenance or parts their able to offer you at their repair center in case something needs to be replaced but they may no longer have stock for anymore. You can check your device EOL status here at this link
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php

Or in Qnap's own words
QTS Updates & Maintenance Status:
Full: The products have complete technical and maintenance support from our expert engineers.
Limited: QNAP will offer critical security fixes.
End-of-Life: The product is no longer supported.

So what concern is there for EOL? Can you still use the Qnap device? Well firstly there is security issues that may no longer get patched. Refer to here
https://www.qnap.com/en/support/con_show.php?cid=41

Also even if your model is not EOL but has something like final firmware update, which was the case for my TS-509 Pro which was flagged for later in October this year going EOL, but is currently in limited support status pretty much.

Code: Select all

"The final firmware update is QTS 4.2.x" 
Usually final firmware is the prelude to EOL at some point. To know when exactly your unit does go EOL, check the changelog url in notes whether your unit gets a mention for when that may happen. Below is the one given for my TS-509 Pro for example.
[Other Changes]
QNAP will no longer release firmware updates for the following models after October 31, 2017.
SS-439 Pro, SS-839 Pro, TS-110, TS-210, TS-239 Pro, TS-239 Pro II, TS-239 Pro II+, TS-259 Pro, TS-259 Pro+, TS-410, TS-410U, TS-439 Pro, TS-439 Pro II, TS-439 Pro II+, TS-439U-RP/ SP, TS-459 Pro, TS-459 Pro II, TS-459 Pro+, TS-459U-RP/SP, TS-459U-RP+/SP+, TS-509 Pro, TS-559 Pro, TS-559 Pro II, TS-559 Pro+, TS-639 Pro, TS-659 Pro, TS-659 Pro II, TS-659 Pro+, TS-809 Pro, TS-809U-RP, TS-859 Pro, TS-859 Pro+, TS-859U-RP, TS-859U-RP+.

https://www.qnap.com/en/releasenotes/in ... t_choose=2

So what is the implications of a final firmware update?
anyway for now my ts-509 (not quite eol yet as of time i posted this) because i'm stuck on 4.2.x (32bit), and the latest HBS (hybrid backup sync) requires 4.3.x (64bit) it's essentially EOL as far as HBS (a non security issue) is concerned. Because that sort of update isn't covered under security fixes :( So you will be facing these kinds of issues where though it's not eol, you probably don't get updates for it unless it's a security fix.

So when your NAS becomes limited support and especially EOL, you may want to start taking steps to prepare for that eventuality.

My humble recommendation is to take a page from admiral adama, take your NAS offline to reduce it's exposure to the internet.

some steps

- disable and remove apps from appcenter (except hybrid backup sync)
- disable remove dlna, media library addon, and multimedia management.
- disable ftp, telnet, winscp
- disable bonjour and upnp
- disable recycle bin
- disable qsync
- filestation disable (when not using)
- Go to control panel > security> setup allow access only to specific ips. Namely your other qnaps on network, as well as your desktop/laptop workstation so you can administer from QTS and qfinder. If you forgot to include your workstation lan ip and get accidentally locked out, refer to the reset configuration in the FAQ here.
- use a strong password, which you can do using keepass or StrongPasswordGenerator. I would then recommend storing these complicated unique passwords into a keepass database which is encrypted with a single master password which you keep safe off line somewhere safe.
- make sure your entire network is using a router always, and never enable UPNP EVER!.
- you can then backup, then when done, power down your qnap. If your unit is not powered up chances are it can't be attacked. When you need to restore backup, power on then restore then power down. The window of opportunity for the device to be attacked is rather small, to minimize the risk of a EOL device.
- change smb 1.0 to smb 2.0 (or smb 3.0 using experimental method)

other users strategies for dealing with EOL situations
father_mande wrote:Hi,

Without (except this) enter in this debate ...
I can just write here my own strategy for "end of life" product

I always start to identify a standard distribution that can replace the QTS at end of life ...
so for now
old TS-109 run as well with a Debian Jessie (with limited services based on CPU power and Memory available)
old TS-219 run also under Debian (I use them to have access to North America network ... the QNAP is based in Canada)
tested successfully :
TS-459 under Debian / Ubuntu 14.04 and ArchLinux
TS-219PII under Debian
TS-x69 (even not yet in EOL) under Ubuntu 14.04
... It's a little (but not so hard) difficult to test on Arm (due to limitation) ... but with SFTP, or recovery mode (must be tested BEFORE) ... it's easy to transfer new kernel and initrd and do a test with a fresh disk (remember qemu (same as Virtualisation Station) know some QNAP series so are supported by qemu (-arm) including mtdblock support to be near as reality ...)
... very easy for x86, x86_64 using any USB live CD (with raid and lvm ... you can see the QNAP's volumes (depend of model))

So YES you lost QNAP's support ... but you WIN large community (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.) support to realize all your wish ...

My "two cents" on EOL debate ...

Philippe.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=134652&p=629670#p629709
backup app alternatives for EOL models

having first hand experience with a ts-509 pro, trying to use an outdated hybrid backup sync, as well as 4.2.x that had long since been replaced with 4.3.x firmware..... so what to do when the backup app no longer supported for updates/bug fixes?

use alternate third party backup apps :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=134001
P3R wrote:
wortwart wrote:I'm using NetBak Replicator 4.5.3.220 on Windows 10.
This old thread was at least originally about backups from the NAS to an external backup destination, not client-NAS backups so advice here is unrelated to NetBak Replicator.

By the way, most people give up on NetBak Replicator after having tried it for a while. That's one reason you'll find many questions from newcomers about NetBak here in the community forum but not many answers.

I jumped ship many, many years ago and switched to SyncBack Free. Despite being as free (even for commercial use) as NetBak Replicator it have far more features and is updated more frequently than NetBack Replicator so I haven't looked back.

The only advantage that I see for NetBack Replicator is that it's specifically supported by Qnap so I think you're better off seeking advanced advice from Qnap support than here.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87966&start=15#p628243
Moogle's newbie guide, how to update ancient qnap model to the latest firmware and safeguard from exploit vulnerability in it's EOL status

i just updated an ancient ts-509 pro still using firmware from 2015, to the latest 2017 firmware..
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/QNAP/TS-509_Pro/

*note: updating from a very old firmware in one shot may cause issues from what i found out. You may need to consult qnap support, check NAS manual or the forum for how to correctly update from a very old firmware, rather than just simply updating.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133972#p624839

You can find the firmware for your model here
https://www.qnap.com/en/product_x_down/ ... pe=5&II=54

The firmware status for your qnap model can be viewed here
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php

Anyway these are the steps i recommend to follow
- i booted up the Qnap (the units been offline since 2015 )
- using qfinder it manages to detect the old qnap. i then try to update firmware, but , my unit had a failed drive so failed to init. so it warns me about doing the reinit first before i try upgrade firmware, so i did.
- after reinit completes, then i proceed to update the firmware using qfinder pro (which i can then manually select the firmware i downloaded earlier from the qnap download page).
- after sytem reboot, i'm running smart test extended then bad block scan.
- When thats all done i'll go to QTS factory reset (format drives).
- change smb 1.0 to smb 2.0 (or smb 3.0 using experimental method)

*note: if your qnap is EOL, you may want to disable all internet connectivity to the device to protect it from being hijacked via any future exploits if the device is no longer maintained. Might still be okay as an offline backup for your other devices.

32bit to 64bit compatibility checking for firmware upgrade

For QNAP models able to go to 4.3.3 there is a second consideration. Because of the transition from 32bit to 64 bit architecture, so you need to check using CF64 app the compatibility of your existing qpkgs. Cause the chances are high that you will need to remove them, and re-add their newer 64bit qpkgs if available. So people upgrading need to be aware of this
Trexx wrote:2017-06-07
4.3.3.0210 build 20170606

[Important Notes]
- For the status of QTS updates and maintenance for your NAS model, visit https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php
- When QTS 4.3.x is installed on NAS models running on 64-bit Intel and AMD processors, some applications may not be supported. To check if installed apps on your NAS are compatible with QTS 4.3.x, download the QTS 64-bit compatibility tool and install it on your current QTS build. (https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/CF64_0.1-1114.qpkg.zip)
- QTS 4.3.x is the final available firmware update for the following models:
TS-112P, TS-212P, TS-212-E, HS-210, TS-112, TS-212, TS-121, TS-221, TS-421 TS-120, TS-220, TS-420, TS-420U, TS-421U TS-412, TS-412U, TS-419U, TS-419U+, TS-419U II, TS-119P II, TS-219P II, TS-419P II, TS-119P+, TS-219P+, TS-419P+, TS-119P, TS-219P, TS-419P, TS-119, TS-219, TS-419

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=133290&hilit=CF64
Toxic17 wrote:thats correct, your QPKGs are probably only 32bit and you need 64bit QPKGs to work with QTS 4.3.x
#

look here.. at the top:

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/releasenotes/?cat_choose=5
[Important Notes]
- For the status of QTS updates and maintenance for your NAS model, visit https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php
- When QTS 4.3.x is installed on NAS models running on 64-bit Intel and AMD processors, some applications may not be supported. To check if installed apps on your NAS are compatible with QTS 4.3.x, download the QTS 64-bit compatibility tool and install it on your current QTS build. (https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/CF64_0.1-1114.qpkg.zip)
Version Numbers for QTS 4.3.x are like so:

QTS 4.3.3.0262

4.3.3 is version. .0262 is build number.
dhighway wrote:In case anyone is a newb like me, for which the above terse response though appreciated, was insufficient ... :D
- go to AppCenter
- click on Gear icon (near top-right)
- NOTE: You must have Python 2.7 installed FIRST or the compatibility checking tool won't install!
- you can install Python via the "Developer Tools" section of AppCenter
- After CF tool installs successfully, click on "hamburger" icon (top left), then choose item named "CF64" to launch it

HTH,
DH
How to change SMB 1 to SMB 2 for an EOL qnap model
Spider99 wrote:via ssh type "smb2status"

e.g.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 1.0 enabled.
to change to 2.1 type "smb21enable"
e.g.

Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
max protocol SMB 2.1 ... enabled.
locks path was set to /share/HDA_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services:Starting SMB services:.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
max protocol SMB 2.1 enabled
to revert should you need to type "smb2disable"

*update

Schumy came up with a new experimental method for enabling smb 3.0 on specific older models, refer to the article below for how.

How to enable SMB 3.0 on specific legacy qnap models *experimental
*outdated
there is a "smb3enable" but IIRC cat1 nas's do not support this - cant check as mine are retired

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=134173&p=625950#p625947
So ... experimental mood?

1. Disable CIFS/SMB 1.0:

Note: This can work with QTS 4.2.6 20170729 (on TS-x39, TS-x59, TS509, TS-809, and all Marvell Kirkwood when I'm right) and newer as well as on any QTS 4.3.x model as all these comes with SAMBA 4 now - remove the line if reverting to earlier firmware:

[~] # setcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf global "min protocol" SMB2_02
[~] # /etc/init.d/smb.sh restart
Restarting SMB services:
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.conf': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.d': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
locks path was set to /share/MD1_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting SMB services:.
done.

Now the NAS should no longer accept or negotiate to any protocol lower than SMB 2.02 anymore.

2. SMB 3.0:

Note: This can work with QTS 4.2.6 20170729 (on TS-x39, TS-x59, TS509, TS-809, and all Marvell Kirkwood when I'm right) and newer as this comes with SAMBA 4:

[~] # setcfg Samba server_max_protocol_custom TRUE

The "server_max_protocol_custom" override should be no longer required sometimes in the future.

[~] # smb3enable
max protocol SMB 3.0 ... enabled.
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.conf': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.d': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
locks path was set to /share/MD1_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting SMB services:.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 4.0.25
max protocol SMB 3.0 enabled.

Have fun!

-Kurt

PS. Everything unsupported, at our own risk :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133965&start=60#p630953
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 am, edited 19 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Good to see all these help threads but...Just remember the more links you post the more you have to support them, links become dead or irrelevant then you'll have to re-edit them which is not good in the long run you spend more time changing posts and links.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Toxic17 wrote:Good to see all these help threads but...Just remember the more links you post the more you have to support them, links become dead or irrelevant then you'll have to re-edit them which is not good in the long run you spend more time changing posts and links.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
fair point.

tbh i'm active for now (though i'd also be awol for long stretches at a time), but i intend to at least once a year re-check this for a yearly review update. so what i post here is atm only relevant for 2017 as of time last edit. next year probably need to replace stuff like 2018 hardware recommendations sort of stuff. 2018 probably year of the affordable 10gbe switches i hope :mrgreen:

i was wondering if i should do a changelog for thread but thought against it because, i honestly don't have the time for that unfortunately, may reconsider in future if mega thread gets too big, but for now is manageable :?

but if at any time i'm not free to continue maintaining this, i'll post at the very front page the disclaimer for discontinued maintenance :)

if forum mod, or any forum member spot check see anything incorrect feel free to edit or chime in here :D

also forgive the spotty spell checks, i usually do those corrections later on :wink:

thx

PS: back when i ran a blog i used a plugin that helped me detect when a link gets broken, so easy to repair maintain. But i guess i'll be relying a lot on people reporting if something is amiss. Some people have already been doing that :) much appreciated.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

raid5 vs raid6, which to use?

the main point is at 1:10 into the video
[youtube=]1P8ZecG9iOI[/youtube]

and there is other opinions strongly in favor or raid6 over raid5 due to the URE issue when rebuilding raid (though he doesn't even take into account about usable storage comparison between raid5 vs raid6 which techquickie in the first video mentions)
[youtube=]A2OxG2UjiV4[/youtube]

in the past i've rebuild raid without issue with raid5 (this is not saying raid rebuilds will never fail with 100% certainty, not suggesting that at all). so raid5 works for me for 4-5hdd raid array with 4tb hdd. 4tb x 6hdd array i may go either raid5 or raid6. But if your using 6tb+ or 8hdd+ your probably better off going with raid6. I'm newbie on this subject for raid so take my advise on this with a grain of salt and do your own research. I'm merely just sharing my opinion based from what i've learned researching on this subject and through my own experiences testing raid5 and raid6, also using a raid calculator comparing usable storage space. Also with a backup in place, i can accept the risks of raid5 for only 1 hdd going bad at any one time, but even then only for 4tb for max 6hdd array. Beyond that that i'd probably only use raid6 if only cause the risk is too great beyond that point.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134274&p=626560&si ... 31#p626560

Other user opinions regarding raid 5 vs raid 6 debate
P3R wrote:
MrVideo wrote:Ya, I think that using RAID6 only is a wrong suggestion.
Here we go again... :roll:
I have a TS-451A with three drives and doing RAID6 with it would be stupid.
Indeed it would. Mostly beacuse it's not possible as RAID 6 requires at least 4 disks.
Frankly, even if I put 4 drives in it, RAID6 would still be stupid.
Maybe for you but not for everyone.

I'm using a 4*3 TB RAID 6 in one of my NASes, does that make me stupid?
When using 5 drives, or less. RAID5 is perfectly fine.
For most home users yes, especially those using 4 TB and smaller disks. But not everyone have standard requirements and some people have a larger budget than you.
MrVideo wrote:
P3R wrote:I'm using a 4*3 TB RAID 6 in one of my NASes, does that make me stupid?
You said it not me. But yes, running RAID6 on that configuration is. 50% of the space is gone, vs. 25%. They are only 3TB drives. That is what backups are for, the extra security in case of failure. Just because you are using RAID6 doesn't necessarily make it that much safer.

Yes, we will go round-n-round about this. You'll be pro-RAID6 with 4 drives+ and I'll be pro-RAID5 with 4 drives and less.

Oh ya, I know that RAID6 can't be used with 3 drives. :mrgreen:
P3R wrote:
But if I store some data which are so valuable they cannot be lost, then i will switch to 4x6TB in RAID 6 for better security against corruption of data.
For "data which are so valuable they cannot be lost" it's much better to use the money towards backups on separate systems at other locations, not better RAID reliability. A more reliable RAID will offer better availability of the system, the added data protection a better RAID offers is only very marginal.

RAID 6 will protect against dual disk failures, that's it.

Backups on separate systems will protect the data against these and other threats:
  • Failures of all disks in the NAS at the same time
  • Other NAS hardware failures; power supply, motherboard, NICs and so on
  • NAS software bugs
  • File system corruption
  • Ransomware
  • Malicious intruders
  • Human mistakes
  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Flooding
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=112615#p621561

note: may revise this if somebody has a better recommendation when it comes to the raid5 vs raid6 debate. but regardless keep a backup. so even if raid goes kapoot it's not storage Armageddon :mrgreen:
How to calculate your raid 1/5/6/10 usable space
P3R wrote:RAID storage capacity calculation is in the documentation but for those that want an excerpt:
s=size of (the smallest capacity) disks in the RAID array
n=number of disks in the RAID array

RAID 1 storage capacity = s
RAID 5 storage capacity = s*(n-1)
RAID 6 storage capacity = s*(n-2)
RAID 10 storage capacity = s*n/2

And to know the actual usable storage capacity, the rule of thumb multiplying by 0.9 is accurate enough.
Or if you want quick mode theres this :lol:

e.g.
What is Raid scrubbing? Why should i enable this feature in QTS?
Automatically-enabled RAID Scrubbing With QTS 4.3.30210 Build 20170606

Taipei, Taiwan, June 15, 2017 - QNAP® Systems, Inc. has started releasing the QTS 4.3.3.0210 Build 20170606 update to users. After installing the update, scheduled RAID Scrubbing will be automatically enabled on QNAP NAS (if not already enabled by users) to increase the integrity of user data, and to proactively ensure the security of disk groups.

RAID Scrubbing is used to verify the data integrity of disk groups with RAID 5 and RAID 6 configurations. It works by running a redundancy check to detect and correct inconsistencies that are undetectable during routine usage. Periodically running RAID Scrubbing can detect potential corrupted data or disks at an early stage, giving your NAS the chance to attempt automatic repairs or to report disk-related issues, helping to ensure the integrity of user data and disk groups.

RAID Scrubbing runs in the background with minor performance impact (depending on storage space sizes). QNAP recommends running RAID Scrubbing weekly or monthly, according to access frequencies of data stored in the NAS. Users can configure RAID Scrubbing settings in "Storage Manager" > "Global Setting" > "Data Scrubbing".

To learn more about RAID Scrubbing, please check:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_scrubbing
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2017/autom ... d-20170606

There was a bit of confusion about what raid scrubbing did which was explained here
QNAP_Daniel wrote:Hi all,

I think there is some misunderstanding and incorrect pointing of blame here.

The RAID scrubbing will resynchronise the data and parity blocks across the entire RAID array. This involves reading all blocks from every RAID stripe, then repairing any blocks which were unreadable or inconsistent. In this sense, it is effectively similar to doing a bad blocks scan on all disks in the array. Therefore, if any of the disks do have bad blocks, they will be guaranteed to show up during the data scrubbing.

This is the reason why a data scrub may cause disk errors to show up even if there were no such errors previously. In fact the same phenomenon often happens during RAID 5 rebuilds after a disk failure.
For example, the disk may have bad blocks in an area of the RAID which is unused or infrequently accessed. During normal operation there is no error from the disk, but during a data scrub there will be an I/O error if the bad block is unrecoverable. It should be noted that this is preferable to happen during a data scrub rather than during a degraded RAID rebuild. If it happens during a rebuild then there is a chance of data loss or data corruption (since there is no redundancy) - during a scrub there is no such risk.

In this way, the data scrub can alert you to bad disks which might otherwise cause your data loss during a RAID rebuild, as well as repairing silent data corruption of the RAID data and parity blocks due to faulty sectors. It is kind of like a "dry-run" RAID rebuild.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=133376&start=15#p620568
How to change the raid scrub schedule beyond a month

Refer to here
viewtopic.php?f=142&p=628258&sid=efcfcf ... 6c#p628252
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 am, edited 17 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Rsync, RTRR, NAS to NAS, what is the difference? which should you use?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=127633&p=580313&hi ... ut#p580313

mkp007 compiled the info from other users comments already, just click the link above to find the info on that subject.

Personally i do use rtrr because it had the best transfer performance for me when backing up between 2 qnap nas models.
Qtier vs ssd acceleration, whats the difference? and what are they?

https://www.qnap.com/solution/qtier-auto-tiering/en/

https://www.qnap.com/solution/ssd-cache/en/

[youtube=]G7gMthFhRLo[/youtube]
QNAPJauss wrote:Hello,
- If I understand it correctly it would be possible to define Qtier using a storage pool with one Raid Group of 6xHDDs (Capacity), and one Raid Group of 2xSSDs (High Speed). Will that work in tandem with allocating a pair of M.2 SSDs for SSD Caching?
Yes. Multiple RAID group is mandatory.
1 RAID with HDD and 1 RAID with SSD is the minimum.
It is also possible to expand later by adding HDD or SSD in the RAID groups, or by creating additional RAID group.
You can also enable M.2 SSD cache. ( I presume you are looking at the TVS-x82 Series. )
However, with the current implementation, both can work concurrently, but they are not aware of each other.
- Will I be able to define some specific data to be stored on the SSDs, in addition to the data the Qtier puts there - kinda of like Application-based partitioning...
Not sure I understand your meaning.
Qtier give you the possibility to store everything at the same place, and the system will move the frequently accessed data to the SSD automatically.
The advantage is that you do not have to decide yourself where to store the data, Qtier will do it for you.
It is currently not possible to force some data on the SSD only. The data will be move to SSD when being accessed more frequently.
- Will data on the SSDs be replicated on the HDDs?
With Qtier, no. The data is moved between HDD and SSD, not replicated.
With SSD Cache for read, yes, the data is replicated to the SSD when cached, but remain on the HDD.
With SSD Cache for write, the data is store temporaly on SSD first, then replicated to the HDD after some times depending on the NAS loading.

I did, and I understand the Qtier functionality. I was just hoping it might be possible to use 2 SSDs for Qtier as well as for another Storage Pool.
You can create multiple storage pool, with or without Qtier.
For example :
- 1 QTier Storage pool with some HDD+SSD
- 1 "standard" Storage pool with SSD only (no autotiering on this one)
- 1 "standard" Storage pool with M.2 SSD (no autotiering on this one)

Data on Qtier will be optimized with the SSD in the Qtier pool.
Data on the normal storage pool will remain on the SSD (SATA or M.2).

Note: SSD used with Qtier cannot be used for cache or for another storage pool at the same time.
Each pool or cache volume must have their own SSD.

Hope this help.

viewtopic.php?t=122615

other threads on topic about ssd and qtier

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134122&p=625802&hi ... er#p625751

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124852&p=623173&hi ... on#p623180

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=120386&p=616288&h ... on#p616288

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128414&p=585030&hi ... on#p585030

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=122270&p=556320&hi ... on#p546813

How do I know safely remove SSD in acceleration cache or Qtier without loosing any data, is that possible?
Trexx wrote:
I think some clarification is needed here:

SSD Cache Acceleration:
  • Can be disabled/removed and any data in WRITE cache will be destaged to disk (if it hasn't been already)
  • Single SSD configured for Read/Write Caching (NOT RECOMMENDED) = Risk of data loss/damage if SSD fails with write data that hasn't been destaged out of cache.
  • Redundant Multi SSD Config (RAID-1/5/etc.) Read Write Caching = Risk of data loss if MULTIPLE SSD drives failed prior to write data destaging.
QTIER SSD Data Layer:
  • Can only be setup currently at time of storage pool creation. NO option currently to remove SSD tier without destruction of Storage Pool. New pool creation and restoration of data from backup required.
  • Redundant Multi SSD Tier (RAID-1/5/etc.) + HDD Tier = heavily accessed data blocks are moved from HDD tier to SSD tier. File potentially could span both tiers (think DB with some recent active data + inactive historical data).
  • Risk of data loss if MULTIPLE SSD drives failed at same time (or prior to SSD rebuild completion). Risk is no greater (and likely less) that HDD RAID risk.
As with all NAS storage, none of these technologies are replacements for BACKUPS!!
Trexx wrote:
bruce_miranda wrote:But that is just so bad, if true. What should happen is that if you click the option to disable and remove the Read/Write cache then, it should trigger a process to write all the delta cache data back to the HDD. Once complete you can safely remove the SSD cache drives.

I should be able to confirm what happens shortly.
That is exactly what happens. If you disable/remove the SSD Cache, the NAS will flush any data in cache to disk that hasn't already been de-staged. QNAP does warn about removal of active SSD cache drives from a system during creation but that is because if you were to remove the SSD's (without disabling cache) then you have potential data loss/corruption related to non-destaged data.
Trexx wrote:
bruce_miranda wrote:So then it's preferable to invest in a PCIe card and go down the M2 NVMe drives route in case you want to use the caching feature, as opposed to using up two slots on your NAS for SSD cache? OK so now I have two SSD SATA drives being used as SSD cache. How do I know I can safely remove them without loosing any data that might be just within the cache?
Just disable and then delete the cache via Storage Manager.

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=134442#p627676
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to backup to recover from ransomware

short version
[youtube=]jdGc8uFFGp4[/youtube]

long version
[youtube=]OWuTjkohCWM[/youtube]
How to use Browser station
Taipei, Taiwan, July 19, 2017 - QNAP® Systems, Inc. today officially released Browser Station, an app that helps users avoid geographic restrictions and complex VPN settings when remotely accessing data on the same LAN as the QNAP NAS. Abundant user feedback has been collected since the beta version of Browser Station was released, and the official version includes many optimizations from the user interface to usage experience, providing a convenient and safe way to browse the web and access protected data.

“We appreciate the valuable feedback from users that helped us to improve services to fit user requirements,” said Christine Wang, Product Manager of QNAP, adding “We also received many positive responses from users who travel frequently, and it is great to hear that Browser Station helps them to conveniently browse the web and access remote data.”

In Browser Station, useful webpage shortcuts are provided on newly-opened browsers for one-click access. Browser Station works with HTTP or SSL connections. Besides supporting encrypted access with VPN protection, Browser Station can bypass IP blocking to enable users to remotely access restricted data, such as their company's private servers.

More useful features of Browser Station: Users can specify a NAS shared folder for downloading files (including email attachments and from web sites); the current status of browsers is retained, including open tabs, bookmarks, browsing history, and more.

Availability

Browser Station is available from the QTS App Center.

System requirements:

QNAP NAS with at least 4GB RAM and QTS 4.2.2 (or later).
Container Station v1.7.2224 (or later) must be installed and enabled to use Browser Station.
Supported QNAP NAS models: TS-x51, TS-x51A, TS-x53U, TS-x53A, TS-x53, TS-x53B, TS-453Bmini, TVS-x63+, TVS-x63, TS-x63U, TS-x70, TVS-x70, TVS-x71, TVS-x73, TS-x73U, TS/SS-x79, TS/TVS-x80, TVS-x82, TVS-x82T, TVS-x82ST, TES-x85U, TDS-16489U *check site for any new models, since i won't be updating if they do add more devices as supported here
https://www.qnap.com/solution/browser-station/en/

Trexx wrote:Here is a link (will need google translate) about how to use browser station
https://www.redeszone.net/qnap/browser-station/

Short version:
  • Install Browser Station
  • Verify MyQnapCloud is properly working
  • Connect to MyQnapCloud when remote
  • Launch Browser Station and new browser
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=134197&p=626251#p626250

Best way to test network and disk read/write performance?

[youtube=]5UOlo8NLeiA[/youtube]

Use iperf qpkg, thanks to steph :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=320&t=119348

Trexx wrote: Would need more information (QTS version & build, NW configuration, storage configuration, etc.) but to start off with always good to rule out bad cables, etc.

SSH into your box, and do an ifconfig.

You should see something like this:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 24:5E:BE:0B:B5:4C
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:204171723 errors:0 dropped:5 overruns:122 frame:0
          TX packets:232306008 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:164575450927 (153.2 GiB)  TX bytes:124344610952 (115.8 GiB)
          Memory:fe300000-fe31ffff
Look specifically at the ERRORS: values, those should be generally 0.

Another thing I would recommend is to install the QNAP Diagnostics Tool, and then run an HDD Analyzer / Test Performance.

That will help you see what your individual drive throughputs are looking like at the HW level itself.
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=134284#p626644

recommend reading the source links to know more about this topic.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to keep track of QNAP forum activity if your interested in helping assist others, or just to stay up to date with new threads/posts
aspomwell wrote:On an unrelated note, I appreciate all the responses. How do you track so many subforums on this site? You seem to show up all over the place and there's got to be over 100 forums in this place...

You see quick links top left?

click new posts :mrgreen:

theres an unread posts too.

unanswered posts is also useful to help people that did not yet get a reply so far.

I usually respond to posts i can actually help/redirect :)

*Pro tip: press F5 for quick browser refresh :) Also use chrome or firefox, but NEVER IE :shock: another thing, if your using gorhills ublock/umatrix remember to disable the strict https setting just for this site, this way images from imgur etc will display on the forum perfectly fine.

You can click on a forum members post count to then search an individuals post history and stalk... cough.. track that way. Use it to help others, not to troll (get a hobby if your that bored), thanks :)

PS: i'm not using thread subscriptions, can get easily spammed with that. instead whenever someone quotes you, you get an alert on top right. Someone msg me but didn't quote, only just noticed a year later :shock: .... use quotes a lot when you want to get someone's attention on forum.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Using QTS 4.3 toolchain
tafinho wrote:compiling using the toolchain

Anyways, the old ways still work, but it makes little sense:
1- get Entware using the app management
2- get GCC from Entware (opkg install gcc)
3- compile.
4- If your target system is not the same as the compiling system, tough luck....
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=134302#p627118

How to repackage transmission *guide by onecd
OneCD wrote:Ah, fortunately, QNAP does the compiling for you.

Suggest you start by reading this. (TL;DR? Try the Quick Start guide)

Download and install the QDK QPKG.

Download your source Transmission QPKG,

Extract all the files from it:

qbuild --extract Transmission_2.84-b25-170414_arm-x19.qpkg Transmission_2.84-b25-170414_arm-x19
... and it's all yours.

Modify it! :DD

Then rebuild it by running:

qbuild
... in your QPKG source directory.

If you want others to download your version, you'll need a host.

There's more to it, but that should get you started. Good luck! ;)
viewtopic.php?f=221&t=82172&p=622893&hi ... on#p614693
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Megathread changelog

11 Aug 2017

-added (page2) *credits schumaku

*back to awol status (i also got these cosmic wings already on diablo 3 account 8) on break from gaming )
[youtube=]KJRs-4Mnq4o[/youtube]

6 Aug 2017

-added (page5)

are Budget GPUs Still bad? | RX550 VS GT1030
-added (page5)

how to translate language to communicate on the forum
*learning so many new things

-added (page1)

What is the Difference between NAS, SAN and DAS
-added (page3)

How to use smb 3
-added (page3)

What is SMB Multi-Channel? how does it help increase network speed throughput?

5 Aug 2017

-added (page2)

Why Is Hotel Wi-Fi So Slow?
-added (page5) *questions and chat is allowed no worries

What is a megathread
-added (page4) *credits to Schumaku

How to access Qnap Nas via usb from desktop/laptop using quick access feature

4 Aug 2017

-added (page4)

How to hide Appcenter featured apps slider
-added (page4) *credits to Schumaku, Trexx and Storageman for info on this subject

Thunderbolt what is it?
- added (page3)

Moogle's 2017 qnap plex recommendation
- added (page2)

32bit to 64bit compatibility checking for firmware upgrade
- edited (page2)

backup app alternatives for EOL models
- added (page4)

How NetBIOS name resolution really works
-updated (page2) *did some updates on the articles related to EOL, as well as what implications of final firmware status mean at least in the 4.2.x firmware example where you may not have access to newer 4.3.x 64bit architecture stuff if non security related.

Moogle's newbie guide for what to do if your QNAP becomes flagged EOL (end of life)
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133965&p=625820&hi ... 97#p625820

3 Aug 2017

-updated (page1) *Noticed that on plex google sheet they added TVS-x73 series using AMD RX421BD cpu with full marks for transcoding. Added to recommended model for transcoding along with the likes of i3, i5, i7.

QNAP Media playback options
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133965&p=625313&si ... 27#p625313

1st Aug 2017

-added (page2)

Do I need the SSL certificate?
-added (page4)

Moogle's crashplan docker recommendation for cloud backup solution

30jul 2017

-added (page4)

How to generate logs on a QNAP device using diagnostic tool
-added (page4)

How to replace QNAP NAS PSU Power Supply Fail
-added (page2)

How to use Private Internet Access proxy for Firefox
27jul 2017

-added (page2) *thx to Toxic17

How to change the raid scrub schedule beyond a month
-added (page1)

Stream Movie from QNAP NAS to HDTV (DLNA Media Server)

26jul 2017

-added (page4)

Choosing the Right IP Camera for your QNAP NAS

25jul 2017

-added
Important QTS Update for Potential Data Corruption on NAS Using RAID 5/6 *FIXED

24jul 2017

-updated (page2) *thx trex

How do I know safely remove SSD in acceleration cache or Qtier without loosing any data, is that possible?
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133965&p=626451&si ... 16#p625978

23jul 2017

back to 100% megathread faq satisfaction *today is a good day

*updated (page1) *added qnap's own intro cause it looked like a simple clean explanation

NAS Explained!! with QNAP
*updated (page1) *based on suggestion to improve the thread viewing tips - thx mrvideo

22jul 2017

- added *i tested this myself, moogle approved guide :shock: however i don't think it's necessarily the best method thats why i made it in a separate thread, for others to comment improve on it. Toxic suggested Macrium Reflect worked better for him. So keep commenting on it if you have a good way of doing this :)

How to recover using Netback Replicator & win 10 clean install
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134423

-updated (page3)

Why 10 Gigabit Ethernet? (Introducing 10 gigabit)
-updated (page3)

What is BTRFS?

21jul 2017

-updated (page2)

Seagate NAS hdd series explained
-added (other thread because requires feedback from others to improve before i move to the megathread)
-updated (page1) *added QNAP QM2-2S M.2 SSD Cache Expansion card youtube intro

M.2 vs NVME: What's the difference?

20jul 2017

- added (page3) *Credits to Terry Walsh http://wegotserved.com

Building a Docker Media Server – Introduction

Building a Docker Media Server – Hardware Selection

Building a Docker Media Server – Configuring Your Network (Part 1)

Building a Docker Media Server – Configuring Your Network (Part 2)

- added (page3)

Building a Docker Media Server – Introduction

Building a Docker Media Server – Hardware Selection
- added (page3)

32-Bit vs 64-Bit - The Advantage
- added (page2)

Using QTS 4.3 toolchain
-added/replaced (page2)

How to repackage transmission
- added (page3)

Dummies guide for understanding the current SSD tech trend leading up to 2017
- added (page3)

Cloud backup what is it?

19jul 2017

-updated (page2) *more new info from latest newsletter, QNAP Officially Releases Browser Station

How to use Browser station
- added (page3)

How do hard drives work?
- moved to (page3) *to group up similar topics

How much ram do you need for your QNAP nas ?
- added (page3)

swap memory usage is too high, what does this mean?
- added (page1)

What is docker? why is it so popular
- added (page2)

How to use DVDfab for TVS-882BR series optical drive ?
- added (page2)

What is a VPN and why do I need one for my QNAP NAS
- added (page1)

Why is storage pool capacity only 50% ? where did the rest wander off to?
- our first down vote

18jul 2017

- replaced

how to test your network throughput for QNAP
with the much better (page2)

Best way to test network and disk read/write performance?
- updated (page2)

How to calculate your raid 1/5/6/10 usable space

17jul 2017

- updated (page2)

- updated (page2), included trex input

how to test your network throughput for QNAP
- updated (page2)

Other user opinions regarding raid 5 vs raid 6 debate
- added to (page1)

PLEX Media Server - QNAP Setup Guide
- added to (page2)

Ryzen, what is it, why should i care?
- added info regarding raids
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133965&p=625843&si ... c1#p625843

16jul 2017
- also reached our first 1000 views milestone mark, nice considering the thread was made almost 2 weeks ago, mission accomplished

- added to (page1)

What is VM, and Virtual Machine/virtualization? Why should i care?
- added link to QNAP recommended NAS models for plex transcoding. Deserved a link to because Qnap themselves are offering a fair recommendation for others wishing to use Transcoding.

- added to (page2)

How to install transmission
- added a forum post/thread tracking guide for members wanting to be more actively involved whether to keep up to date with latest activity on forum, or to help others
viewtopic.php?f=45&p=626451#p626368

- added changelog. This is to help others see what major edits were done, also stuff i ought to mention whenever possible. For small edits like typos or minor things that don't require mention, i won't waste time including here. I may add links, but i may also alternatively instead just provide keywords in code tags, for which you can then search in this thread to find it (because from time to time i may move parts to other sections in the thread which may break links).

11jul 2017
- Added a vote poll, which you can change your vote whenever you like.

If too many unlike, then i probably need to edit my FAQ more to be up to standard :( feel free to share feedback if any part of the FAQ can be improved, or needs editing. Always open to improvements :)
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 am, edited 82 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Ryzen, what is it, why should i care?

Long video intro to Ryzen architecture *the key point of it at all, watch 10:33
[youtube=]aACaq3C4ONY[/youtube]

short version
[youtube=]aNK7EtXrtjs[/youtube]

benchmarks vs an Intel kabylake (qnap offering will be R5 1400, R6 1600 and R7 1700, so tried to do comparison to Intel equivalent closest to that)
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 3647vs3917
I understand why AMD would want to compare Ryzen 7 to Broadwell-E, since AMD gives you the same number of cores for less money, but I don't see much for Broadwell-E in business (although I suppose it could have an application in things like video encoding.) Broadwell-E has mainly been pushed for very high-end enthusiast and professional gaming desktops, and is an older part that's likely to be replaced soon.
Note though that there are other differences, including (notably) that the current Ryzen chip supports only 128-bit wide AVX (SIMD) instructions, versus 256-bit support on Kaby Lake.

I tried to find a review comparing R7 1700 vs i7-7700K; instead i only found this for business benchmarks. I'll edit later when i find a more appropriate comparison.
http://sea.pcmag.com/feature/15136/test ... siness-use

*update
Today we will take a look at how AMD’s cheapest Ryzen 7 offering, the $330 Ryzen 7 1700, compares to Intel’s price equivalent: the $340 i7-7700K.
Looking at the benchmarks, nothing has changed compared to the other Ryzen CPUs. In workstation environments, for instance video and image editing, programming, and file conversion, the Ryzen 7 1700 is faster than Intel’s i7-7700K. GamersNexus show this very well in their review.
Livestreamers will benefit from using the Ryzen 7 1700 over the Intel equivalent because software-encoding on the CPU gives noticeably improved picture quality over GPU-based encoding (for instance NVENC). The i7-7700K struggles with 1080p streaming and encoding at the same time, but the Ryzen 7 1700 barely drops any frames.

There is one very interesting part about the Ryzen 7 1700, though: overclocking. As you can see in the benchmarks from both GamersNexus and PCPer, the 1700 can be manually overclocked to around 3.9-4.0 Ghz, which is around the maximum for all Ryzen 7 CPUs. This means that at that clockrate, all three Ryzen 7 CPUs perform within 1-2% of each other. Power consumption, on the other hand doesn’t scale very well when overclocked. A Ryzen 7 1700 overclocked to 4.0 Ghz can pull up to 90 more watts than an i7-7700K overclocked to 4.8 Ghz, which is a very conservative overclock on the Intel CPU.

sources:
http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/ ... -i7-7700k/
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/28 ... -its-1800x
So let’s first talk about performance, of course that is what most of you are reading this review for anyways. The AMD Ryzen 7 1700 is one incredible processor given its price. It pretty much beat out all of the other processors we tested in most of our CPU specific tests. These tests are a combination of both single-threaded and multi-threaded tests. In the multi-threaded tests the Ryzen 7 1700 beats out Intel’s Core i7-7700K each time, but when it comes to single-threaded the i7-7700K is more often than not the clear winner. I do want to point out though that the single-threaded performance does have a massive improvement over the previous Bulldozer architecture. Our biggest conclusion when it comes to overall CPU performance is that if you are using an application that makes use of multiple cores then you will definitely benefit from a Ryzen 7 CPU over an Intel Core i7-7700K, but in single-threaded tests they are pretty close.
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/amd-ryzen ... -review/9/

Ryzen 5 1400 Review: AMD R5 1400 vs. Intel i5-7400
[youtube=]oTihmuq50zc[/youtube]
The take away from this, the performance of the Ryzen is close to kabylake, but things get interesting when multi tasking under workloads such as gaming + streaming same time :) Ryzen gives you way more cores which will be great for VM (virtualization) and just multi tasking in action, for a performance close to a kabylake.

Also the point of this isn't an intel vs amd war fanboyism debate (though if you want to offer an unbiased comparison feel free to do so in forum, i'm also interested in the subject). it's just that Amd has been out of the game for a very long time in an Intel dominated cpu world, so Ryzen deserved an intro for the casual user as to it's product placement comparatively against an Intel equivalent cpu. But essentially it's rather competitive against the Intel example i mentioned is what i'm trying to get at, especially when it comes to stuff that would take advantage of it's many more cores/threads :)

Qnap's first ryzen NAS will be the TS-X77 series out later end of this month

read more about it here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134062&hilit=ryzen#p625095

*notes
- no integrated graphics (however for x77 you can install your own graphics card)
- no thunderbolt support (x77 can still do 10gbe and 40gbe )
- no intel optane support *this tech doesn't support raid anyway, so not really relevant at this point anyway

History of AMD cpus
[youtube=]LKxzYFU5a_U[/youtube]

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestor ... story.html
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

[youtube=]z0k4qJozOrU[/youtube]

seagate_surfer wrote:Hi, we are expanding our forums presence in order to assist and inform current and potential future customers. The drives you are using, as P3R mentioned, are designed for desktop use, and this could be a part of why you are experiencing performance troubles. It is important to know that not all hard drives are built the same way. There are various types of drives that are produced for specific application purposes. Roughly, there are three main types of drives that can be categorized as follows:

NAS, Surveillance, and Desktop/PC

Seagate's current generation for these is: IronWolf for NAS, SkyHawk for surveillance, and BarraCuda for desktop PCs and gaming. A BarraCuda is designed for a typical home user access, something like 8 hours a day x 5 days a week pushing 55TB per year. A standard IronWolf drive, on the other hand, is engineered for 24 hours x 7 days a week access, specific NAS optimized firmware, RV (Rotational vibration) sensors, and pushing 180TB per year, with the IronWolf Pro series increasing that to 300TB per year. Hard drives in NAS enclosures can potentially really beat up on each-other with vibration, so having those firmware optimizations and RV sensors really do matter in the health, performance, and longevity of your drives. Here's a video on the matter, if you're interested.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=133157&p=618884#p618884
seagate_surfer wrote:Here is the spec sheet for the Seagate IronWolf drives. the Max sustained transfer rate lists at 180 Mb/s. There is more detailed info about this in the product manual here.

Here is our IronWolf Pro series spec sheet, these drives are 7200 rpm speed and their max sustained transfer rate lists at 195 Mb/s for the 2TB model and 214 Mb/s for all larger sizes. There is more in-depth info in the product manual here.

Regardless of which drive you end up determining is right for you in the end, thank you for considering Seagate!
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=133849&p=624986#p624986
seagate_surfer wrote:We recommend sticking with NAS-rated drives like the IronWolf or IronWolf Pro over the BarraCuda Pro. For one, IronWolf drives are among those on the QNAP compatibility tool for this model (BarraCuda/BarraCuda Pro are not), and it's not just a matter of being rated fo 24x7 use.

IronWolf drives have RV sensors in sizes 4TB and over, and all IronWolf drives have firmware engineered towards NAS use. This has to do with vibration considerations, as large amounts of huge storage capacity drives can really beat up on and wear down on each-other with the sheer force of the vibrations in these enclosed spaces.

Another concern is that drives meant for NAS units have networking considerations in mind when they are engineered, as the nature of DAS vs NAS means that in DAS, drives are directly attached to the device from which data is going to be handled , and networking doesn't come into play until after that exchange has already occurred, and in NAS, there is a network involved between the drive and the end-user device. The most important aspect that IronWolf and IronWolf Pro is made to handle the multiple users hitting the NAS, and is very much more suitable for file sharing capabilities.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=134034&sid=c92f54d ... 55#p626656

basically if you got seagate hdd related questions you can quiz seagate_surfer
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to use DVDfab for TVS-882BR series optical drive ?
[youtube=]DaM_CcnJWCw[/youtube]
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

first downvote :(

not to judge but may i at least know is it because due to incorrect info that need edit, or you didn't find what you needed to know? if it's the later i don't cover all subjects, just stuff i feel is generally useful. other really specific issues i leave that to the forum most of the time. constructive feedback is welcome ^^;
NAS

Network

Resources
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

Hiya Moogle, I think it would be that the information they wanted wasn't in here at the moment as you said. You are doing well in my opinion for someone dedicating their time to research and create these documents and information for free to others in the community.

I hope you can see whom down voted your free information so you can find out why.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205

Return to “Users' Corner”