Kodi not in HybridDesk station

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Nabeel
Starting out

Re: Kodi not in HybridDesk station

Post by Nabeel »

JillyPolla wrote:Am I the only one that's sick of QNAP removing features with no warning?

First, they removed Kodi from HD Station. Then they removed support for AC3 and DTS in their CodecPack. All of these were advertised as features which is why I bought my TS-451+. It ** that after I bought it I found this out.

The worst part is that in the control panel, the HD Station still says Kodi in it. See this:

I fully agree with you. Frustrating. I just cancelled two purchase orders.
Since 2011, KODI has been my main reason to switch from other NAS manufacturers and go completely for QNAP. A big drop for QNAP. KODI is a software used by tens of millions of users.
Also, not having AC3 and DTS support by QNAP makes the HDMI ports in QNAP machines is another big drop for QNAP.
1) TS-879-PRO / Intel i3-2120 3.3 GHz / 16GB DDR3 / 8 x 3TB RAID-10 Seagate ST33000651AS / 2x10GB Intel Ethernet RJ45 (X540T2)
2) TVS-1282 / Intel i7-6700 3.4 GHz / 64GB DDR4 / 450W / 8 x 8TB RAID-10 Seagate ST8000NE0001 / Mellanox 40GB Fibre Optic QSFP+ (MCX313A-BCCT) / / 2 x Sandisk X400 Solid State Drive - Internal (SD8SN8U-1T00-1122)
3) TVS-1282 / Intel i7-6700 3.4 GHz / 64GB DDR4 / 250W / 8 x 10TB RAID-10 Seagate ST10000NE0004 / Mellanox 40GB Fibre Optic QSFP+ (MCX313A-BCCT) / 2 x Sandisk X400 Solid State Drive - Internal (SD8SN8U-1T00-1122)
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Sorry to hear that you cancelled 2 PO's.

There are 2-3 (depending on how you count) KODI 17.x releases available and 2 Plex Client releases available via community apps that would allow you to leverage your HDMI port and support AC3/DTS. While you would have to download them manually to install them, they work just fine.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
kevinm34232
New here

Post by kevinm34232 »

Are there any video and or audio settings need to be set or adjusted to work with QNAP, I have constant freezing and pixelating.
Sesijama
New here

Post by Sesijama »

kevinm34232 wrote:Are there any video and or audio settings need to be set or adjusted to work with QNAP, I have constant freezing and pixelating.

Same for me on HS-251+ :(((
smhealey
Starting out

Post by smhealey »

I'd recommend not using HybridDesk Station. It is a featureless piece of kludge and difficult to navigate.

Just install Linux Station and you can use Kodi, VLC Media Play or the play of your choice and have the full power and easy of an entire operating system at your disposal.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

smhealey wrote: Just install Linux Station and you can use Kodi, VLC Media Play or the play of your choice and have the full power and easy of an entire operating system at your disposal.
do you connect to hdmi using this setup?
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
sierra_canyon
First post

Post by sierra_canyon »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
smhealey wrote: Just install Linux Station and you can use Kodi, VLC Media Play or the play of your choice and have the full power and easy of an entire operating system at your disposal.
Has this been answered? I am a new TS251A owner. Basically looking to have a personal cloud server but also wanting to utilize the NAS and VLC to watch videos at variable speed (easily done with VLC).
Have installed the HD Station, HD Player etc as well as the VLC from QNAPClub. Everything works, but don't want to spend a good deal of time hacking around to see how to make VLC the default player for "Video Station" instead of "Video Player".
Only post I have seen about doing this (from November of 2014) refers to this being a browser settings issue?
In any case, new to QNAP but have plenty of Unix SVR4 and Linux experience, so don't mind hacking config files, but would prefer a clean solution like VLC in Linux Station using the HDMI port on the TS251A.
smhealey
Starting out

Post by smhealey »

sierra_canyon wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Has this been answered? I am a new TS251A owner. Basically looking to have a personal cloud server but also wanting to utilize the NAS and VLC to watch videos at variable speed (easily done with VLC).
Have installed the HD Station, HD Player etc as well as the VLC from QNAPClub. Everything works, but don't want to spend a good deal of time hacking around to see how to make VLC the default player for "Video Station" instead of "Video Player".
Only post I have seen about doing this (from November of 2014) refers to this being a browser settings issue?
In any case, new to QNAP but have plenty of Unix SVR4 and Linux experience, so don't mind hacking config files, but would prefer a clean solution like VLC in Linux Station using the HDMI port on the TS251A.

Yes, you connect via HDMI. Plug a wireless keyboard Mouse into your QNAP. But in HD Station in control panel you need to enable Linux Station. You will havbe the power of a full Linux Desktop system and can install application of your choice Kodi (if you must) or VLC Player, whatever.
Hankiepoo
New here

Post by Hankiepoo »

I'm using the "father" version 17.0 on my TS-470 Pro with no problems at all. Love and thanks to him so much!

Return to “Media Streaming”