How to access QNAP NAS from Windows 10?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
steevithak
Starting out

How to access QNAP NAS from Windows 10?

Post by steevithak »

I've got a new TS-251+. I've configured it and it's working great from my GNU/Linux computers. I can see the device and access the shared folders as expected. Nothing special was needed, it just worked. I wanted to also make the NAS available to my wife's Windows 10 computer but it appears this is a far more complicated problem than I expected. She can click on "Network" and see the TS-251+ device listed, but a right-click on the device only offers the option "View Device Web Page", which opens a web browser pointed to the QNAP's admin page. What we want is to be able to open the shared folders. How can we do this on Windows 10? Can anyone give me a step-by-step or point to a web page that describes how to do it? We've been at it for hours and I've tried everything I can think of without success. Googling revealed other people having the same problem but no solutions.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to access QNAP NAS from Windows 10?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

steevithak wrote:I wanted to also make the NAS available to my wife's Windows 10 computer but it appears this is a far more complicated problem than I expected.

She can click on "Network" and see the TS-251+ device listed, but a right-click on the device only offers the option "View Device Web Page", which opens a web browser pointed to the QNAP's admin page.

What we want is to be able to open the shared folders. How can we do this on Windows 10?

Can anyone give me a step-by-step or point to a web page that describes how to do it? We've been at it for hours and I've tried everything I can think of without success. Googling revealed other people having the same problem but no solutions.
i create a short cut from my win10 desktop for quick access.

Code: Select all

\\Moogle
change Moogle for your own Nas name, or use your lan ip for the qnap.

some people prefer mounting method (which you can do via qfinder pro), but not sure what the difference is (maybe unless you need an app to have a quicker way to select the NAS i guess?) Shortcut works fine for me.

Anyhow, with shortcut it prompts you for login username/password. You can save credentials so it stops bugging everytime you enter that way. It then shows you all your available shares on the Qnap.

If you want to create shares you can go to QTS shares and add from there.

If you simply want to create folder/delete/edit/copy/paste etc for stuff within the existing share, you can do that from the shortcut smb easily without using qts at all.

[youtube=]J5yhBpsPSFU[/youtube]

summary

- shortcut to desktop (as i showed how)
- or map as a network drive (in video)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:i create a short cut from my win10 desktop for quick access.

Code: Select all

\\Moogle
change Moogle for your own Nas name, or use your lan ip for the qnap.
some people prefer mounting method (which you can do via qfinder pro), but not sure what the difference is. Shortcut works fine for me.
Sorry, I'm not a Windows person, so I may need more specific instructions. I tried typing "\\name" via a Windows command prompt but it just gave me a syntax error. What do I need to do with the \\name string? I'm not sure where it goes to create the shortcut.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the name you gave your nas

\\yournasname (in windows explorer) and it should give you the shares of your nas
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

Thanks for the video link. I know the IP address so I tried the method they recommend in the video. I typed the IP address in the address bar of the Windows file manager. But instead of opening the file view as shown in the video, it did the same thing that clicking the icon does, it starts a web browser and shows the NAS admin web page. Frustrating...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

steevithak wrote:Thanks for the video link. I know the IP address so I tried the method they recommend in the video. I typed the IP address in the address bar of the Windows file manager. But instead of opening the file view as shown in the video, it did the same thing that clicking the icon does, it starts a web browser and shows the NAS admin web page. Frustrating...
yes they type ip manually, but thats tedious doing it all the time. I found it better just creating a shortcut which achieves the same thing as a click of a button without having to type it all the time.

Right click on win10 desktop, Create shortcut.

where it says type the location of the item, you instead put what i mentioned :)

hm weird... i thought linux is harder to use than windows ^^;

PS: the shortcut i create on desktop, i also right click that shortcut and pin to my windows 10 start as well (after i removed all of windows 10 junk tiles that were the defaults :cry: )
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

Tried right click on desktop, new -> shortcut and put "\\nasname" into the name field. The result was a long error message full of meaningless gibberish followed by the phrase "not accessible". :(

Haha, yes years ago, everything on GNU/Linux was complicated command line stuff and Windows was super easy. It's the opposite these days though. We got a new laser printer recently. Plugged it in and my Fedora box recognized it and printed a test page on the first try. Took two days of debugging, downloading drivers, configuring network printer ports, googling, and posting on discussion forums to get my wife's Windows 10 box print to it. Looks like NAS drives are similar!
steevithak
Starting out

Post by steevithak »

Yay, success. Here's what we did:

1. Rebooted the Windows 10 box a couple of times
2. Put the \\nasname string into the Window 10 file manager address bar (or file explorer?, whatever it's called)
3. A name / password dialog pops up - this is what we've been after all along!
4. Entered name and pass, then a root share folder opened showing home and public folders
5. Used the "Pin to Quick Access" icon to create a link to it under "Quick Access" in the file manager

The NAS icon is still present under Network in the file manager and still doesn't work, however. But as long as we remember to ignore it and use the quick access link we made, that's an acceptable work around. At least we can access the files now!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Unclear to my why you don't keep the Windows 10 login in sync with the NAS user account - you will never ever have to "login" to access the NAS (or use the hard to manage Windows Credentials Manager). Can't be easier.
steevithak wrote:The NAS icon is still present under Network in the file manager and still doesn't work, however.
Which one - there can be two resp. three (or more) when counting in the Multimedia devices:
Windows Explorer - Network 2.PNG
Only the blue one (NetBIOS discovered) can be used for browsing and access the NAS shared folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i was gonna check my own to compare but after disabling smb1 network discovery on win10 doesn't work unless re-enabling that again >->: hm...
https://hardforum.com/threads/disabling ... y.1934161/

steevithak wrote:...
didn't noticed you replied. make sure you quote someone if you need to grab their attention :)
NAS

Network

Resources
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:i was gonna check my own to compare but after disabling smb1 network discovery on win10 doesn't work unless re-enabling that again >->: hm...
Obvious :ubergeek: You don't "just" disable the SMB 1.0 client like that - you also remove the NetBIOS name resolution form Windows 10 as part of this feature. That's why these poor pople are struggling - they don't know what they do...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

schumaku wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:i was gonna check my own to compare but after disabling smb1 network discovery on win10 doesn't work unless re-enabling that again >->: hm...
Obvious :ubergeek: You don't "just" disable the SMB 1.0 client like that - you also remove the NetBIOS name resolution form Windows 10 as part of this feature. That's why these poor pople are struggling - they don't know what they do...
well in upcoming windows update, they plan to remove smb1 altogether from OS. so wonder what the new solution will be.

anyway found someone with exact same issue i came across
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... entication
The whole issue with SMBv1/WannaCry is that a machine utilizing this exploit can impersonate a server running SMB Server. With that being said, if you leave the client enabled on workstations, an infected PC can still utilize the vulnerability and spread the infection. So yes, both client AND server should be turned off - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fil ... sing-smb1/

... well i already got my stuff setup and can access. just not use discovery network for now. i'll just leave it disabled until the update arrives less hassle.
NAS

Network

Resources
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

SMB 1.0 and NetBIOS name resolutions are to different things.

These news are no news ... are you aware early Windows 10 did not have the SMB/CIFS 1.0 (including the NetBIOS name resolution) feature enabled by default?

For the moment, Microsoft would f*** off all SAMBA users - which is still heavily relaying on the NetBIOS host announcements and name resolution. This could speed-up the SAMBA team switching away from NetBIOS announcements to WSD. This won't be a name resolution - just an announcement then. So for future name resolution, no way around operating a real DNS on the own LANs. Almost all consumer CPE/Router vendors are sleeping on that end - very few exceptions.

And getting rid of SMB 1.0 (or disabling the protocol) does not imply getting rid of NetBIOS name resolution service.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

schumaku wrote:SMB 1.0 and NetBIOS name resolutions are to different things.
https://superuser.com/questions/694469/ ... os-and-smb

schumaku wrote: are you aware early Windows 10 did not have the SMB/CIFS 1.0 (including the NetBIOS name resolution) feature enabled by default?
nope. but i did a recent clean reinstall, so everything was default and when i checked it was enabled well at least on the latest windows 10 atm.
schumaku wrote: For the moment, Microsoft would f*** off all SAMBA users - which is still heavily relaying on the NetBIOS host announcements and name resolution. This could speed-up the SAMBA team switching away from NetBIOS announcements to WSD. This won't be a name resolution - just an announcement then. So for future name resolution, no way around operating a real DNS on the own LANs. Almost all consumer CPE/Router vendors are sleeping on that end - very few exceptions.

And getting rid of SMB 1.0 (or disabling the protocol) does not imply getting rid of NetBIOS name resolution service.
more stuff for me to look into when i got the time. thx.

but as far as regular non it gurus (me included) are concerned, they probably wait for the upgrade removes smb1 from os. and presumably network discovery *something i do casually use from time to time for convenience, will work (without any additional special settings needed on user end) ? :)
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:https://superuser.com/questions/694469/ ... os-and-smb
Nope - this is about the transport, not the NetBIOS name resolution.

Return to “File Sharing”