Swap out primary disk

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dhp1975
New here

Swap out primary disk

Post by dhp1975 »

Hi

My first scene setting post is here - it will give you an idea of how little I know at this time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134987

Short question: I've just set up my qnap and would like to swap out the disk that I used for installation. How do I best do this?

Longer version question: I was impatient when I received my qnap and shoved in an old 500GB disk for set up/installation. This disk is woefully inadequate and has bad sectors. I added a WD Red 6TB disk ignorantly thinking this would allow me to hot swap the "primary" (first) disk when I purchased a second WD Red 6TB disk. I now know this was naive. I now have 2 WD Red 6TB disks and don't know how to get these two up. Fortunately I didn't get very far (just installed some apps and tweaked some settings) therefore I am happy to burn the whole thing down and start setup again if that is the best course. However I *think* that my NAS is now registered with qnap (only based on the subdomain of <MyQNapName>.myqnapcloud.com...did I state I didn't know what I'm doing?). If I just need to start again and shove a "2" at the end of the NAS name then that's fine with me. However, if there's a more elegant out of the box means to do this then I'd like to know it. If I do need to start over then I would also like to know what I should do to avoid this again in future if the primary disk becomes suspect in the future - this does seem rather the point of an N drive setup, therefore my disappointment that I haven't figured out how to do this.

I am very happy to be sent a link that tells me what to do if working through this is rather involved - I don't expect someone to have to baby walk me through this if that can be avoided. I've tried the forum search facility and haven't found an answer - my apologies if this search was a poor one and this has been covered before.

Thank you for reading and kind regards
QNap model: TS-251A
Laptop for connecting: Windows 10
dhp1975
New here

Re: Swap out primary disk

Post by dhp1975 »

Ah...I tried the search but didn't work through the FAQ.
Is it as simple as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJGX5x0TeD0
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

simplest is pull the 500gb disk

and start again from scratch
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

I agree with Spider99 on this one especially if you have not populated the unit with data. Start again from scratch with both 6TB drives. You may want to first watch some youtube videos or read some of the setup manuals that came with your NAS before you attempt the clean setup.

If I was in your boots, I would start afresh.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

dhp1975 wrote:Hi

My first scene setting post is here - it will give you an idea of how little I know at this time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134987

Short question: I've just set up my qnap and would like to swap out the disk that I used for installation. How do I best do this?

Longer version question: I was impatient when I received my qnap and shoved in an old 500GB disk for set up/installation. This disk is woefully inadequate and has bad sectors. I added a WD Red 6TB disk ignorantly thinking this would allow me to hot swap the "primary" (first) disk when I purchased a second WD Red 6TB disk. I now know this was naive. I now have 2 WD Red 6TB disks and don't know how to get these two up. Fortunately I didn't get very far (just installed some apps and tweaked some settings) therefore I am happy to burn the whole thing down and start setup again if that is the best course. However I *think* that my NAS is now registered with qnap (only based on the subdomain of <MyQNapName>.myqnapcloud.com...did I state I didn't know what I'm doing?). If I just need to start again and shove a "2" at the end of the NAS name then that's fine with me. However, if there's a more elegant out of the box means to do this then I'd like to know it. If I do need to start over then I would also like to know what I should do to avoid this again in future if the primary disk becomes suspect in the future - this does seem rather the point of an N drive setup, therefore my disappointment that I haven't figured out how to do this.

I am very happy to be sent a link that tells me what to do if working through this is rather involved - I don't expect someone to have to baby walk me through this if that can be avoided. I've tried the forum search facility and haven't found an answer - my apologies if this search was a poor one and this has been covered before.

Thank you for reading and kind regards
as mentioned by other members, you should restart from scratch.
Currently you have 2 6Tb wd-reds in the NAS?
In what modus? RAID or 1 volume??
What FW version?
m1rjj00
New here

Post by m1rjj00 »

Another NAS newbie who has found himself in a similar situation. I installed my new TS-251A last night with two Seagate Iron Wolf 3TB drives. Things would have been fine if I had read a bit more and hadn't second guessed myself. Long story short, I did a couple of Remove volumes having the last one fail with an "Unexpected error" message. Now Storage Manager doesn't recognize Drive 1. Both drives are recognized by the lower level access but something was munged with respect to QNAP's drive communication software (I'm speculating). Would swapping (putting 1 in slot 2 and 2 in slot 1 followed by a Shutdown) drives resolve this? Is there drive accessibility through a pre-Storage Manager interface to access/format the drive? Maybe some CLI through ssh I can use?

Thanks for listening!!
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
+ RJ Jansky, PP-ASEL +
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

m1rjj00 wrote: Both drives are recognized by the lower level access but something was munged with respect to QNAP's drive communication software (I'm speculating).
Unclear what you are talking about here, if it is freshly set up, just format both drives and start from scratch (RAID1) and then don't forget regular external backups
m1rjj00
New here

Post by m1rjj00 »

dolbyman,

Thanks, that's kind of what I had figured. Even though the answer is probably fairly obvious I'll ask the question anyway, can I format the drives from within the QNAP Control Panel? I'm presuming somewhere under Storage Control?
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
+ RJ Jansky, PP-ASEL +
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
m1rjj00
New here

Post by m1rjj00 »

dolbyman,

Sorry for the double response. What I was trying to describe is that both drives are seen by the device such that if I right click a drive I receive status information, health, temp, etc. If I go to create a storage pool or volume only Drive 2 is reflected as available; as if Drive 1 doesn't exist. This is what I was meaning when mentioning something getting munged in the QNAP communication software. Hope that clarifies my original post. Cheers...
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
+ RJ Jansky, PP-ASEL +
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

just format them externally or start without disks and them plug them in during setup and choose to start from scratch
dhp1975
New here

Post by dhp1975 »

My apologies for not responding to thank people for their contributions; real life bowled a googly at me and I've only just recovered.

I have pulled the disks and started again. Principal difference this time is I set up a storage pool (RAID 1, Thick Volume of 2.10 TB...I think) rather than took the default.

I watched some youtube videos and read the installation guide that came with the NAS (which pretty much just states "install QFinder Pro and knock yourself out") and didn't find them especially enlightening TBH however I think I will make good use of the Megathread FAQ.

Regards & thank you

Return to “Users' Corner”