VM Does Not Resume After NAS Restart

JTDC1
Starting out

VM Does Not Resume After NAS Restart

Post by JTDC1 »

I upgraded Virtualization Station to the most recent version on my TS-870 (running the most recent stable firmware) and now my Windows Server VM does not resume if I do a restart of the NAS. It stays in a suspended state. It used to work without any problem. Is there any way to get this working again?
pwilson
Guru

Re: VM Does Not Resume After NAS Restart

Post by pwilson »

JTDC1 wrote:I upgraded Virtualization Station to the most recent version on my TS-870 (running the most recent stable firmware) and now my Windows Server VM does not resume if I do a restart of the NAS. It stays in a suspended state. It used to work without any problem. Is there any way to get this working again?
Did you reinstall Virtualization Station as recommended in the QTS 4.1.4 Build Change Log after you upgraded your Firmware to QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522?

Please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following. We could probably help you better if you'd provide at least "basic" information about your system. Terminology like "most recent version" is absolutely useless information to share. Always specify the exact Version and Build numbers.

I hope this advice resolves your issue for you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
JTDC1
Starting out

Post by JTDC1 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did the reinstallation but it did not fix the problem.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

I updated my TS-453 Pro to 4.1.4 0522 about two weeks ago, and having spotted your post, I have just rebooted mine to see if it starts the Win 7 VM after it boots; it all seems to be working well, on my own system.

This is a total 'long shot', but I can think of one thing that I have done (which will likely be slightly different to your set-up, so at least might be worth trying, even if it is just a long shot) is that my Win 7 Pro VM is set to have a 'Startup Delay' of 120 seconds (in my case, this was simply set to give a chance for my media servers to index the media, and other such like disk-thrashing activities to complete, before it also had to deal with starting a Windows VM). I've no idea whether it will by chance fix your own problem (and I am rushing out, so I'm afraid that I just don't have time to test whether setting that to 0 seconds causes any problems with my own system), but as it is so quick to set, maybe it is worth a try, just on the remote chance that it helps.

Good luck
Bri :)
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
JTDC1
Starting out

Post by JTDC1 »

Thanks for the reply. My problem is not with autostart. That works fine. It is with auto-resume after a restart if the VM is running whern I shut down. What I am concerned about is if I am out of the office and experience a power outage that lasts longer than my UPS charge, the NAS (it is a TS-870) will shut off due to a lack of power. Once power returns, the NAS will come back up but my VMs will stay in a suspend status. This is a problem because my email server is on a VM and it will be out of commission until I get back to the office as I do not want to expose the VM for remote access for security reasons. Note that it used to work without any problem before I upgraded the NAS firmware and Virtualization Station. Help!
forumyc3a
New here

Post by forumyc3a »

Still the same problem on the TS-870 Pro with QTS 4.2.0 (10/23/2015), either with Windows or Linux VMs: they remain in "suspended" mode after reboot.
JTDC1
Starting out

Post by JTDC1 »

forumyc3a wrote:Still the same problem on the TS-870 Pro with QTS 4.2.0 (10/23/2015), either with Windows or Linux VMs: they remain in "suspended" mode after reboot.
FYI, I am the OP and I was able to resolve my problem after a firmware upgrade to the September version (I think) of 4.14. I have not upgraded to 4.2 yet because I have heard of enough problems that a few people have encountered that I want to wait until the kinks are worked out and I have my TS-870 Pro in production use.
forumyc3a
New here

Post by forumyc3a »

Not to fix the situation, at startup, the "virsh list --all" command shows that all VMs are seen in the "shut off" status while those that were started before the reboot should be considered as "paused".

If we start them with then command "virsh start Vm_Name", then they toggle in the state "paused" and you can resume them with the command "virsh resume Vm_Name".

I'm gonna write a script to do this treatment after the start, waiting for the patch from the QNAP development team.
abstractcure
First post

Post by abstractcure »

It is January 11th 2016, and the virtual machines are still suspended after reboot. I just purchased this unit and I am already about to send it back. It is a very nice unit at a first glance, and pathetic once you start digging deeper. Like for example, why can't I copy stuff like the LAN interface MAC number? Or why can't I copy the firmware version info from 'System Status'? Why do I have to manually type it in here? It is TS-563, rls 4.2.0 Build 20151118. When does QNAP plan to have this issue fixed? I have 30 days to return the unit, so I hope they'll make it before that. I still have my good old Lenovo NAS to fall back on. Also FYI Qnap, when I registered my account on your forum site, I couldn't select my unit from a list, because you didn't update the list yet. And when you do, how about you sort the drop-down list to have it in, ... hmm let's say alphabetical order?
jsturtevant
New here

Post by jsturtevant »

Any update on this issue. When NAS restarted VMs are put in suspend, but not restarted once the system is back up.
windoze
New here

Post by windoze »

TS-851 with firmware version 4.2.2 Build 20161214, still cannot resume VM after restart.
Any update?
dieseljwt
New here

Post by dieseljwt »

TS-563 running 4.3.3.0154

No updates - I have the same issue. Still looking for an "auto-resume" function.
mathnas
New here

Post by mathnas »

TS-453 Pro, samme issue on version 4.3.3.0262. Anyone opened a support case on this?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

mathnas wrote:TS-453 Pro, samme issue on version 4.3.3.0262. Anyone opened a support case on this?
Did you?
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
mathnas
New here

Post by mathnas »

Trexx wrote:
mathnas wrote:TS-453 Pro, samme issue on version 4.3.3.0262. Anyone opened a support case on this?
Did you?
:roll:

Return to “Virtualization Station”