Move DHCP to QNAP from Airport Express

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Move DHCP to QNAP from Airport Express

Post by Valnurat »

Hi.

I would like to move my DHCP service from my Airport Express to my QNAP.

I found this:
https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/faq/a ... nfigure-it

but what do I do about the DHCP service on my Airport Express? It's also used as my router. How do you tell Airport Express to get a IP from my Qnap?

Thanks in advanced.
P3R
Guru

Re: Move DHCP to QNAP from Airport Express

Post by P3R »

Valnurat wrote:I would like to move my DHCP service from my Airport Express to my QNAP.
Why?

In small networks relying on home routers the most logical design is to have DHCP on the router.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

I want to setup TFTP and I guess I need to have DHCP active on the NAS to have it to work.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I want to setup TFTP
By this do you mean a bootp PXEboot service, not the basic DHCP service that issues IP, DNS, Gateway addresses?
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

true
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

I just assumed that I needed to have DHCP active on my NAS aswell.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Valnurat wrote:I just assumed that I needed to have DHCP active on my NAS aswell.
It would be better if DHCP in the router could point at the TFTP server. That's what Patrick Wilson did long ago.

It's either that or you need to disable DHCP in the router. It all comes down to what your router can do and that I know nothing about. Maybe you could try an Apple forum?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

Yes, I have look at Patrick Wilson solution and he has added a command to his router, but I don't have that option in my router.
It is possible to disable DHCP, but that unfortunately also disable the default gateway and DNS proxy.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Valnurat wrote:It is possible to disable DHCP, but that unfortunately also disable the default gateway and DNS proxy.
Yes that's the consequence and the reason I asked my initial question here.

If you need to do deploy advanced cofigurations I think you should get a more advanced router/firewall rather than enabling a DHCP server in the Qnap. If you disable DHCP in the Airport Express you could still use that for wireless connections and then only need a two port wired router/firewall.

DD-WRT was mentioned. I use pfSense that also supports a TFTP server option and there are many other products out there slightly above the basic home router level.

Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

If I should use DD-WRT or pfSense where do you install that. On what device?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

on a dedicated device(router appliance) that supports the install
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

What kind of router support that?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

https://www.pfsense.org/products/

but there are also tons of mini pc's with dual NICs available on ebay,etc
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

dolbyman wrote:https://www.pfsense.org/products/

but there are also tons of mini pc's with dual NICs available on ebay,etc
The next question is a litte bit off topic.

I have looked at the pfsense link. Is there one of these you would recommend for change to another router?
My WAN speed is 360 M/Bit. Don't know if that will help.
It just for normal house share of the WAN, but I like to have control of things. :)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that is a question best directed here
https://forum.pfsense.org/

Return to “Miscellaneous”