Photo Station and Face Detection

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Rhialto
Easy as a breeze

Re: Photo Station and Face Detection

Post by Rhialto »

So, anything new on this? I just tried this too for the first time since I just got a NAS. First after enabling it it was processing pictures, it took like 3 minutes to complete 34, yes only 34 pictures. I can't think how much time it would take if I had imported all our pictures.

Then once it has finished I tagged one picture and thought all other with same face would be tagged but I was wrong.

I see it was recently updated to support 64 bits, which I'm using now. Developper is Minions Jason (real name or nickname?) so maybe someone can get in touch with him and ask?
Entered the NAS world with a TS-251+ in December 2016. As of December 2020, disks are now used in a TS-253D. :geek:
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Rhialto wrote:Then once it has finished I tagged one picture and thought all other with same face would be tagged but I was wrong.
After reading the Photo Station tutorial, seems like Photo Station can detect a face (or faces), but makes no mention that it can identify particular faces. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dukedehouse
First post

Post by dukedehouse »

any plans to enhance this functionality in the future?, at this point it makes no practical sense.
jan_chu
Starting out

Post by jan_chu »

Hmm... didnt see this thread before trying out face detection. As many of you i expected it to identify faces, and then it was my job to say. Ohhh this face is This guy. and all pictures of that given face structure would be tagged. That way, my "manage faces" would be 2 sections.

1- identified faces
2- unidentified faces.

It seems that qnap thinks drawing a square around "many of the faces" (fails on allot). then its so mutch easyer for me to tag them..... (rather than me first drawing a square).... i must say...... after waiting 5 days to finish (170.000 pictures).... i am..... (how do i put this nice).... embarised about this feature, and i feel like a fool for recomending qnap to others....

Qnap !!! GET IT RIGHT !!!! This cant be it !?!?!?! Is there some button / fuction we are just not seeing here ? Or is drawing squares on most faces it ?

// A very dissapointed Jan Chu
Tealk506
New here

Post by Tealk506 »

Let us vote on Uservoice.com?
- https://qnap.uservoice.com/forums/21337 ... casa-would

There we can maybe create some preassure, ...
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Submitting Helpdesk ticket to Qnap is the best way to get changes POSSIBLY implemented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
tice17
First post

Post by tice17 »

Useless software that explodes in your face. I will try again in a few years time.
QNAP TS-253A
alainv
Starting out

Post by alainv »

I've just test it
Not so bad but ... bugs ... tags sometimes vanish ... false detection : a glass is detected as a face !
In conclusion : the top is Google face detection ...
QNAP need to improve his software
DanNAP
Starting out

Post by DanNAP »

Does it store the tags in the photo or a central database?
sven1234
Starting out

Post by sven1234 »

Could somebody please test whether the following bugs are reproducible?

All pictures of a face are moved to another name if one photo's face is renamed
1. Have at least two different tagged photos, i.e. person 1 and person 2 with some photos tagged to each.
2. Start Photo Station and open one picture of person 1. The face is highlighted and the name shown.
3. Click on the name and change it to person 2.
4. Re-open Photo Station

Expected result: only this one picture is tagged to person 2.
Actual result: All pictures of person 1 are tagged to person 2.

Error [2] removes all tags for one person
1. Open Photo Station and go to the persons > suggested section.
2. Press CTRL and select multiple pictures of the same person
3. Assign these pictures to the person's tag
4. scroll and repeat a few times

Expected result: One can continue to assign tags until all photos are done
Actual result: After some iterations of the above (scrolling has to happen), "error [2]" is displayed after one assigned/merged pictures to a tag and that tag is gone afterwards and all of its pictures back in "suggested" rather than "tagged".

Workaround: Never scroll. However, this triggers the next bug.

"No pictures" shown although there still are some
1. Open Photo Station and the persons > suggested section. There should be a lot of untagged photos, e.g. a few hundred.
2. Select multiple photos without! scrolling and assign them to a tag so they are removed from the view
3. Repeat the selection and tagging without ever scrolling!

Expected result: Show the rest of the photos, if those shown when opening the section are gone.
Actual result: Photo Station does not load new pictures until one refreshes manually
duranged2001
New here

Post by duranged2001 »

Sven1234, I can reproduce your errors. I haven't approached the process in as stuctured a manner as you have, but I'm beyond frustrated. I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, so I try it a different way, and keep being disappointed by the wasted effort.

Is there anyone who has succeeded in tagging all of their people??

Thanks,
David
QNAP TVS-682 v. 4.3.5.0722 - bought March 2018
RAM - Crucial 16 GB x 3, Transcend 4 GB x 1
HDD - Western Digital 8 TB Reds x 4
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB x 2
Battery Backup - APC 1500M
PhotoStation 5.7.3 (Photo Station Extension 2.2.16)
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

duranged2001 wrote:Sven1234, I can reproduce your errors. I haven't approached the process in as stuctured a manner as you have, but I'm beyond frustrated. I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, so I try it a different way, and keep being disappointed by the wasted effort.

Is there anyone who has succeeded in tagging all of their people??

Thanks,
David
Not to be too blunt, but if you can reproduce the issues, and DON'T open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP, and then yes you are just wasting effort.

The quickest/best way to help get things fixed (assuming there isn't an interim work around) is to submit helpdesk tickets that outline the problem AND steps for how to reproduce it. The easier you make it for QNAP to verify the issue, the more likely the issue will get resolved.

Now it may not get resolved at the speed you would like it too. You always have the option of running other apps via Container Station, Linux Station, Virtualization Station, etc.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
duranged2001
New here

Post by duranged2001 »

Trexx wrote:Not to be too blunt, but if you can reproduce the issues, and DON'T open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP, and then yes you are just wasting effort.

The quickest/best way to help get things fixed (assuming there isn't an interim work around) is to submit helpdesk tickets that outline the problem AND steps for how to reproduce it. The easier you make it for QNAP to verify the issue, the more likely the issue will get resolved.

Now it may not get resolved at the speed you would like it too. You always have the option of running other apps via Container Station, Linux Station, Virtualization Station, etc.
Thanks for the pre-blunt disclaimer. :' My intention of posting an issue or question on any user forum, whether forum.qnap.com or forum.graveldriveways.com is to solicit other end users' knowledge or experience about my topic. I find that in many cases, the end users can provide useful input and or solutions. I am very happy to contact a helpdesk with an issue, but in my experience, no matter how unique or strange I think my problem might be, somebody else has already been there, done that. Sounds like Sven has been down this road with the people recognition problem. I responded to his post in the spirit of information sharing, and in the hopes that he may have already found a solution. User forums are the first tool in my kit to streamline the troubleshooting process.

Not to be too argumentative, :roll:
David
Doubleyoupee
New here

Post by Doubleyoupee »

People recognition doesn't work on my TS-469 Pro at all.
Even if I have only 1 folder in media library, with only 1 photo, it's stuck at "Searching for people... 0/1".
It also messes up my indexing in general afterwards.

On a related note, my gallery doesn't update with the refresh button, I have to re-open the picture app for it to update.

Am I right in concluding that photo station & face detection are simply bugged and not worth using?

Thanks
duranged2001
New here

Post by duranged2001 »

I have an update that may be disappointing, WP. I thought I had figured out the "trick" to making my recognition selections stick. I would click the refresh button in PhotoStation after every few minutes. It seemed to be working, almost like it was writing my changes to a database. Next time I'd open the app, my peeps would all be under the names where I put them. So, after paring down my number of "Suggested" from over 3,800 down to less than 400, I kind of walked away from it for a while. I was tired of messing with it. I figured I would come back and finish the rest later.

I opened Photostation a couple of days ago, and found that all my "Tagged" people showed a count of "0." And under "Suggested," there was nothing--not the remaining that I had yet to finish, not the people who I'd already tagged.

Methinks it's fricken flaky. And I ain't a messin with it no mo.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”