Power failure has caused a full reset

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Woodentop
Starting out

Power failure has caused a full reset

Post by Woodentop »

Just had what appears to have been a power cut and the net result is that my QNAP TS-669L has now reset back to the out of the box experience. This is the second failure is as many months, the first was a RAID5 rebuild failure that resulted in me having to rebuild the RAID array due to corruption.
I hope that the data is still recoverable on the disks i had reconfigured these new disks to be in RAID1 this time. Does anyone have any ideas if i can somehow recover the configuration, apps or data?
Woodentop
Starting out

Re: Power failure has caused a full reset

Post by Woodentop »

Powered off the QNAP and then powered it back on and it has not started the smart start installation this time. However it is not on the network anymore, i have performed a reset by pressing the button for 3 seconds and it has reset the password i use to connect to the console however i am still not able to see it on the network.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

raid1 with 6 drives does not work (on qnap)

can qfinder find it?
Woodentop
Starting out

Post by Woodentop »

I only have 2 drives populated at the moment. Still unable to get it onto the network. It’s looking like I will have to perform a firmware recovery...
Woodentop
Starting out

Post by Woodentop »

Still waiting for QNAP support to provide some support on this issue. I dont understand why it is unable to get onto the network with the disks plugged in. Looking at the configuration files from the console it appears to have DHCP set to true but has a automatic private address so it must not be able to communicate. If i look at ifconfig stats it shows traffic being received (likely to be broadcast packets) but nothing being sent out and i know the hardware is fine because if i boot it up without disks attached it is able to get an address fine.

I seem to be having real bad luck with QNAP recently and the support just seems to be standard scripted responses....
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

A very good reason as to why you should run a UPS on your NAS at all times. My UPS cut in just after three am this morning when the power company performed their usual load balancing routine which always comes either a nice large brownout or spike, rarely power loss, the UPS will catch these brownouts and spikes keeping the power to the NAS nice and clean and consistent.

Try removing the automatic private address as you mentioned. Perform a complete NAS shutdown, the same for your switch/s and modem, shutdown everything related to the network. Power up the modem and switch/s let them fully boot, then do your NAS, again letting it fully boot then do your computer/s.

Are you using an Apple or PC system? I do not know Apple so can only attest or provide info. with Windows based OS. If Windows, start File Explorer and in the address bar at the top type in your NAS name directly, eg. my NAS is simply named QNAP so from File Explorer address bar I type \\qnap press enter, this then connects directly to the QNAP where I can see and access it, this allows me to see that the QNAP is actually online and connectivity is working.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Woodentop
Starting out

Post by Woodentop »

Thanks Johnno, I have tried this and still no luck. What i am worried about is that when i look at the /shares/ folder i cannot see the MD0_ folder there are lots of HDA, HDB etc folders but they are all empty. Concerned that my data has gone :(
Woodentop
Starting out

Post by Woodentop »

Some good progress, i decided to do a full system reset back to factory defaults by booting it up without disks then inserting them "hot" this prompted for a factory reset and i was then able to recreate the shares to download my data. Think i am going to download the data and then perform a full cleanse of the system as this is the second failure in as many months.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

backups and UPS ... a no-brainer

configure the Qnap to shut down long before the UPS gives out. Q still hasn't made the utility "smart" enough to know when the UPS is near failure :? :?
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”