replace drives and keep data

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
wessameldin
New here

replace drives and keep data

Post by wessameldin »

Hi, i have TS-221 with all my work files on it, it have 2x 4TB drives [mirror] is that what it is called RAID? anyways i need to replace both because they are old enough, in the same time i need to keep the files on the old drives as backup and copy them to the new drives [the new drives are 6TB].

is there a specific procedures to do that, i search but i am not really experienced on NAS.

i appreciate any help.
thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: replace drives and keep data

Post by dolbyman »

yes swap them one by one, hot (don't switch the nas off)..just follow the procedure in the online manual
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@wessameldin,
Mirrored disks is the same as RAID 1.

The procedure for what you want to do can be found here under the heading Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion). That documentation link assumes you're running the current stable QTS firmware (version 3.1). If you use anything else, refer to the corresponding documentation.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
wessameldin
New here

Post by wessameldin »

@Dolbyman thanks for helping me with this i really appreciate it,

i found the online manual but i did not found a detailed steps about expanding capacity, but i understand now that i have a RAID1 configuration :)
so you mean to remove the tray no.1 at first without turning off the system and insert the new drive after going in the RAID management and choose expand capacity?

i need to make sure i clearly understand this before attempting to do anything.

@P3R thanks for pointing the link its really helpful, actually i use the latest 4.3.3
do you think i need to enable "Bitmap" before the expanding attempt? what i understand is it helps in case of an error.

thanks everyone,
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

wessameldin wrote: so you mean to remove the tray no.1 at first without turning off the system and insert the new drive after going in the RAID management and choose expand capacity?
Yes that is what HotSwap means (swapping while the machine is on, after both drives have been swapped (following mentioned procedure) and are finished rebuilding, you can expand the capacity

I don't think Bitmap does anything on RAID1 .. it's a straight copy
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

wessameldin wrote:@P3R thanks for pointing the link its really helpful, actually i use the latest 4.3.3
do you think i need to enable "Bitmap" before the expanding attempt? what i understand is it helps in case of an error.
No you don't need it. Enable it if you want, it won't really hurt except maybe for slightly lower performance.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
wessameldin
New here

Post by wessameldin »

great, this makes things more clear, thanks guys i really appreciate you help.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”