Virtualise QNAP OS on the QNAP?

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
seedy21
New here

Virtualise QNAP OS on the QNAP?

Post by seedy21 »

Hi,

I have a QNAP 251 with 8GB of RAM and I am looking at running a website. As I have all my back-ups for my laptops with Family photos. What I would like to do is run a Virtual QNAP OS and run it on the second NIC Card so that only that is available for HTTP/HTTPS/ FTP access so if it gets compromised they won't have access to my personal files.

Would this be possible? I know I could download something like CentOS Server instead, but I prefer the QNAP GUI.

Thanks
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Virtualise QNAP OS on the QNAP?

Post by Trexx »

Currently the only NAS supporting vQTS (virtual QTS) is the new TS-x77 platform.

There are other alternatives such as running Apache/etc. in a docker container that would give you some of the isolation you are looking for, but to be honest I probably would just spend a couple bucks a month and get a hosted website on an external provide like Squarespace.

It is a lot safer and then you don't have to worry about the security headaches, the downtime impacts of patching/updates/etc. on your NAS.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
seedy21
New here

Re: Virtualise QNAP OS on the QNAP?

Post by seedy21 »

Thanks for the quick reply Trexx.

As I don't really have a lot of money to use on this I guess I will have to go with CentOS and Centos Webpanel.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”