Synology and ESXi replacement

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
yellowapple
Getting the hang of things

Synology and ESXi replacement

Post by yellowapple »

Hello,

I'm currently using two ESXi hosts on Shuttle/Zotac servers with multiple VMs: 2K12, Horizon, firewalls, windows clients, Mac OSx, etc..
The storage is a synology four bay (4*6 Tb) with ISCSi and the main workstation is a i7 tower PC. All these devices are in a 19 inches rack in the basement.

Video sources are TV streamer, satellite and media player, all of them are reachable through HDMI over IP including IR with remote control to select one of the sources.
The clients are: 55 inches TV, beamer, 32 inches display with KVM over IP for the PC and two small POE thin clients behind 24 inches displays for the kids accessing the workstations through RDP, View or VNC.

I want to replace the four main servers by two QNAP with virtualization station that will replace both ESXi servers/Syno. I'm currently looking at the TVS-473 with 32 or 64Gb ram. Is it a good choice?

I also want to use HD station to replace the thin client to provide Kodi, Plex, Chrome and other application to the kids. Problem, I've seen that Linux station can provide an HDMI workstation. Is it possible for a Windows 10? If not is it possible to have an application on the HD station to access the virtual windows 10? VNC?
Secondly, possible to have two users on the two hdmi HD station at the same time?

Thank you in advance.
yA
QNAP TS-h1277-xu-rp, 64GB RAM SSD + SATA - 2 * MSI GPU
QNAP TBS-453a, 16 BG RAM, 1TB M2
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Synology and ESXi replacement

Post by Trexx »

What is the configuration of your Shuttle/Zotac servers? CPU, Memory, etc.??

You might be better off going with a single QNAP TS-x77 NAS with sufficient storage +_Nvidia GPU (for HD Station/Kodi/Plex/etc.) vs. (2) TS-473's. The TS-x73's have a passmark around ~4800, where even the base TS-x77 Ryzen 1600's models have a passmark over 12,000 so you have much more CPU capability/performance. You will have (4) 1GbE connections to start with and can add PCIe add-on cards to add additional 10GbE capacity as well. It also can scale to the same 64GBs as the x73.

As for having a VS VM visible through HD Station, yes that can be done via QXL in VS. It can be done for Win7 & Win10, you just have to have the latest Guest Tools (virtIO & QXL) drivers installed.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Hello Paul,

The shuttle is the SZ270R8 with 64Gb ram, Zotac ID90, 16GB ram. The small one is there mainly for redundancy.
I'll have a look at the TS-x77 series, thank you. In the meantime, I've ordered a small TBS-453A to play with it.

yA
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Another question, is it possible to use both HDMI at the same time for two different clients ?
The goal is to keep the Qnap in the basement and provide multimedia and workstation connectivity through at least two POE KVM over IP.

If not possible, I can still use vQTS on the x77 series to create at least two Hybridesk that will run in parallel.
yellowapple

Post by yellowapple »

Hello Paul,

GPU association is only possible with [virtualization station] and [HD Station-Linux station] but not at the same time.

Two GPU cards can be added to solve the problem but PCI slots are limited. I've seen that you have added a GeForce GTX 1060 to your 877. Is this card using the PCI 8x?
What slots are remaining?

Thx
yA
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Sorry didn’t get back to you earlier... working on getting house ready to sell.

GPU card goes in the single card slot on the right as you face from rear.

Don’t think you can feasibly run 2 cards as left slots aren’t big enough.

As for Gpu it’s either HD Station or VMs, but can’t be both. You still can used qxl video drivers in VMs but won’t get same graphics level but for basic desktop usage would be good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”