[Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Opinions on this MegaThread FAQ

81%
No Like
7%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 27

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Do you need a UPS ?

[youtube=]LknH5oePQyA[/youtube]

What is a UPS

An uninterruptible power supply, also uninterruptible power source, UPS or battery/flywheel backup, is an electrical apparatus that provides emergency power to a load when the input power source or mains power fails. A UPS differs from an auxiliary or emergency power system or standby generator in that it will provide near-instantaneous protection from input power interruptions, by supplying energy stored in batteries, supercapacitors, or flywheels. The on-battery runtime of most uninterruptible power sources is relatively short (only a few minutes) but sufficient to start a standby power source or properly shut down the protected equipment.

A UPS is typically used to protect hardware such as computers, data centers, telecommunication equipment or other electrical equipment where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss. UPS units range in size from units designed to protect a single computer without a video monitor (around 200 volt-ampere rating) to large units powering entire data centers or buildings.

In regards to QNAP, a UPS help avoid your NAS from a sudden power loss situation which could result in data loss. Especially for SSD (which most don't have protection against sudden power loss) which are more susceptible to sudden power loss. With UPS you can trigger a shut down when it detects no power, so a UPS helps buy you sufficient time to provide a graceful shutdown, which for a QNAP is anywhere between 1-3 minutes.
Best UPS for QNAP NAS QNAP in 2018

[youtube=]XxdiTIEYwKA[/youtube]

One thing to remember about UPS, the battery inside needs to be replaced roughly every 3-5 years or so. So it isn't a buy and forget kind of deal.
[youtube=]6HRhtGNHXoQ[/youtube]

This is outside my area of expertise, so unless Robbie from spandotcom decides to make a future video, or another youtuber, it will be hard for me to refresh this later for 2019 and onwards, so heads up.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun May 27, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jameshenderson
Getting the hang of things

Post by jameshenderson »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
jameshenderson wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: How to contact me
*just quote me in this post or anywhere on forum, and fill ".." This sends me a forum notification to get my attention if anything needs edits or etc.
Hi Moogle - would you be so good as to explain - in simple steps - how to securely copy a share from one QNAP to another over the internet? (I do appreciate that 100% security is not possible)

I have 2 QNAPS (TS-453Bmini and an old TS-410).
I want to use the -410 as an offsite copy in case of fire/theft etc and I am happy to do this overnight (not real time).

What I have managed to do:
  • 1. Setup a one-way RRTR sync locally, so the -410 is already a copy of the -453.
    2. Installed "let's encrypt" SSL certificates.
    3. Setup myQNAPcloud.
Some questions/thoughts that I have:
  • 1. I am not sure if cloud sync or myQNAPcloud is of use for this.
    2. I think RSync is the right protocol to use over the internet (RRTR for local LAN)?
    3. I think I need a VPN server on the -410, but not sure how to set that up (for either machines).
I have ready many, many posts on this, but there isn't a comprehensive guide. Can you help?

thanks,
James.
tbh i haven't really tried this myself since i do it over lan.

but if i had to guess

1. VPN (so you can safely connect from 1 qnap to another qnap over the internet safely)

2. 2stepauthentication. anything allowing access over internet, i recommend 2stepauth for qts (i tested this feature, you can use either google authenticator, or use the email 1 time new code pin)

3. i tested lets encrypt ssl cert. This was easy to setup, but from what i saw this only worked when using the myqnapcloud DYNDNS. It even says as much on FAQ page, and i also tested i only get that green lock sign and cert that way as well. letsencrypt is a FREE cert for you to know your accessing the right machine over the internet (so you don't enter your credentials on a fake honeypot or elsewhere mistakenly. You still need to go to your chrome browser, right click go to developer tools > security then view the certificate for confirmation it's the legit cert you setup. Just seeing a green lock sign is not sufficient verification for the user)

4. in qts you can enable smb 3 (if your model supports that), then in hybridbackup sync there is another setting to enable SSL transmission.

5. yes i think rsync might be more appropriate for internet. local i use rtrr for better performance. just check the forum for confirmation though, since i'm not 100% sure. did a quick check
NAS to NAS vs rsync vs RTRR QNAP
NAS to NAS uses rsync (port 873 by default) and RTRR uses the rtrr (port 8899 by default) or the ftp protocol (port 20/21 by default). RTRR over ftp have some functional limitations compared to rtrr.

NAS to NAS should really be read QNAP to QNAP as that is the intention of it. The Rsync tab should be used with any non-Qnap rsync server as destination.

NAS to NAS works block based while RTRR works on full file level only.

In my experience rsync is almost always preferable; it is available on all major operating systems, it is very lean over slow connections, it doesn’t necessarily need to synchronize complete files when something have changed.
P3R wrote:I'm correcting myself here. Rsync is available in Hybrid Backup Sync but if only if we do a sync, not a backup.

RTRR is normally better over fast (LAN-like) connections while Rsync is superior over very slow connections. In your case I would try rsync instead of RTRR.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=137972&p=650360&hi ... nc#p650360
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137387&p=646807&hi ... nc#p646670
storageman wrote: RTRR is not advised over WAN but if your connection is reliable you could test. Assume you'll use a VPN.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137639&p=648037&hi ... nc#p648037

6. To setup VPN you go to appcenter and install the QVPN. search the forum how to set that up. I think you can use openvpn since it's free, so on one end, the destination NAS, has the server VPN. and the source NAS is the client VPN (since your entering the vpn details of the server to access it). explanation why to use vpn for accessing your qnap over the internet.
[youtube=]No9T1qT_wLs[/youtube]

and this is how to setup openvpn server for qnap
[youtube=]uXcsmN1XNbM[/youtube]

other vpn guides
http://richiepham.com/setting-up-vpn-co ... -qnap-nas/

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... vpn-server

7. myqnapcloud you set that up just for the dyndns link. you can also add services you want accessible. but i only recommend setting those to private and only if you need them otherwise just not enable any of these services for use for myqnapcloud if there is no need.

8. in qts security restrict access to specific IP addresses only. Or at least setup limit login attempts so people cannot brute force credentials till they get the right one.
[youtube=]6ZZSVkW7nAw[/youtube]

if all your doing is just setup backup, then i found a hybrid backup sync video here. just replace rtrr to rsync. and the ip to the destination nas ip. and enable the ssl feature.
[youtube=]gsluYwZjkiU[/youtube]

theres also a myqnapcloud setup guide here. i don't recommend using router auto. just manually portforward the required ports. go to myqnapcloud faq there should be a page explaining which ports is required for port forwarding.
[youtube=]ShnVe3QReRk[/youtube]

Thanks for your help!! ...I'll give this a go :-)
TS-453Bmini + 4x 4TB Western Digital Reds (RAID5) - Plex Media Server
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

jameshenderson wrote: Thanks for your help!! ...I'll give this a go :-)
your welcome :wink:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Plex and Native NAS Video Transcoding - What is the difference?

[youtube=]Pt4tkaykF08[/youtube]

For QNAP, the TS-x77 series will do transcoding the best. If you want a cheaper option then a TS-x73 may suffice. If you want cheaper than that, then either a x53b or x53a using plex pass using quicksync hardware acceleration MAY be enough.

Plex and Emby are third party apps that can transcode on the qnap. Alternatively is the native apps like videostation and hdstation that can use the native qnap transcoding (some models like the x77 series can use graphics for acceleration transcoding using the native qnap app)

Normally it's best not to transcode for best viewing quality. However there are good reasons to transcode. Such as watching on mobile devices that may lag otherwise. Or when trying to view remotely over the internet to your NAS. Or if your trying to playback to a device that does not support a certain format. Plex transcoding at the highest to 2nd highest setting for software transcoding, offers a sufficient level of viewing quality that most people would not be bothered by.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:your welcome :wink:
In many, many, places you use "your" when you should be using "you're." In the above, you are really saying: you are welcome. So, the correct form is: you're
The "your" word is for possession: Is that your computer?
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

MrVideo wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:your welcome :wink:
In many, many, places you use "your" when you should be using "you're." In the above, you are really saying: you are welcome. So, the correct form is: you're
The "your" word is for possession: Is that your computer?
thx. got lazy/lax when typing so yes i do frequently use wrong grammar when wasn't paying much attention ^^;

i'll try to be more aware since you brought it up. but not sure it's worth me going back to just fix that. i'll correct if i revisit a section when fixing something else.

fixed some broken youtubes so far lately.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

What is ISCSI? And why is it mentioned in NAS all the time

[youtube=]b09zGPCEw_M[/youtube]
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

QNAP First Time Setup Guide

[youtube=]YaNmiWOfqE8[/youtube]

just some of the steps i know of
1. unpackage the qnap :wink:
2. plug in (power and ethernet...)
3. install the hard drives (make sure you check compatibility for the model prior to purchasing.... avoid 2nd hand if possible)
4. boot up the qnap
5. using qfinder to detect your qnap, then update your qnap to the latest firmware. it may ask you to reboot later once it completes the update.
6. use qfinder again to this time initialize it for the first time
7. follow the steps in the video. the important part is which raid to use, and how much space is initially allocated which by default is 50% which is recommended, maybe more if you need it now,
but rarely to never do people maximize full allocation right off the bat.
8. once done, browse qts (you can get this link from qfinder open administration page, or memorize and type in the ip:8080 manually yourself
9. usually you may want to adjust some qts settings like
- adding shares you will be using
- during your first initialization you should have already added a password. but you can also additionally setup 2stepauthentication if you want. also configure allowed ips to access your qnap, as well as enabling limit login attempts.
- setup ssd cache acceleration if that is something your using for some models that have it available.
- install the qnap qpkg apps from appcenter you are going to use
- disable services you are not using. e.g. disable ssh, sftp etc if not using.
- configure hdd spindown, though it's a bit time consuming and takes patience to get it working right. personally i don't use this, so you can skip if you want as well.
10. beyond that, familiarizing with qnap qts though not too hard even for beginners, usually you get better at it over the years as you use the device. it's part of the experience of owning a qnap, you always learn new things, especially thanks to the qnap youtube channel, and potentially new features added to firmware from time to time.
Okamm
Starting out

Post by Okamm »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:=================Reserved==========================
hey Moog -- can I reach you off board with a question? Simple but prefer bot so public

Oliver
TVS 873 4.3.5 2 x m.2 1T Crucial SSD Cache(Raid1) , 8 x Seagate 10TB Ironwolf Drives -- media , -- QVR Pro Gold
and backing up to
TS451U 4x4 WD Red. 4.3.4
Luxul ABR 4400 Gigabit Router

Luxul AGS 1024 24 port Ethernet Switch

Luxul AMS 2616 POE Injector

Ruckus R700 AP

Return to “Users' Corner”