Hardware Transcoding for 4K Video files?

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
autolux
Starting out

Hardware Transcoding for 4K Video files?

Post by autolux »

hello, have a TS-453B and ran into my first 4K content issues -- trying to use plex media server to play the content which is just below the borderline of being able to do so (90% plus CPU, causing buffering every 30 seconds or so...).

it's my understanding the inbuilt plex media server doesnt use hardware transcoding, so can't take advantage of the CPU in this qnap, which is meant to be pretty decent. what approaches do i have? do you have to purchase a plex pass to make use of hardware transcoding? if so, does it work well? what alternatives do i have?

cheers
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Hardware Transcoding for 4K Video files?

Post by Trexx »

For Plex HW Transcoding support, you must be a Plex Pass subscriber. I have tried it (not on that model) and it works well.

That is your best option at this point for Plex. I have read of some people getting HW transcoding working in Emby (plex competitor) but I haven't tried that myself.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Plex Media Server”