Virtual Switch stuck at 100mbps

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
altmiket
New here

Virtual Switch stuck at 100mbps

Post by altmiket »

Hey all,

I have a TS-851 running 4.3.3.0262, with one ethernet port hooked up to an Airport Extreme.

I use Virtualization Station and have a virtual switch configured, however it is only connecting at 100mbps, though it is plugged into a gigabit ethernet port on the Airport.

This used to connect at 1gbps, but it seems at least a couple firmware updates back, it switched to 100mbps, and now IO to my NAS is very slow.

I'm not sure which update did it, I think it was a month or so back, I tend to keep it fairly up to date, and have gone through a lot of updates lately.

Anyway, wondering if there is anywhere I can look to see why this is connecting at such a slow speed? Any ideas?

Thanks!
minterwute
New here

Re: Virtual Switch stuck at 100mbps

Post by minterwute »

You might try swapping your ethernet cable out - it's possible for one of the pins or one of the pairs to get damaged in a cat5e (or newer) cable, which will result in 100mbps performance since 100BASE-T only requires two pairs, while 1000BASE-T requires 4 pairs. This happened to me a couple years ago and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. Hope this saves you the same frustration!
altmiket
New here

Post by altmiket »

Forgot to reply back to this back when I fixed it. Re-seating the network cable actually fixed it up for me. If it recurs replacing the network cable will definitely be next. Thanks!
masterallen
Starting out

Post by masterallen »

If you install Redhat VirtIO drivers in your VM, you will get better performance

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”