QNap download station does not upload

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
ScudderAdam
New here

QNap download station does not upload

Post by ScudderAdam »

I am using Download Station on my QNap NAS TS 253-B. I have been downloading a number of torrents. But the Download Station does not seem to be seeding/uploading. This is going to destroy my ratio at the torrent site.

The manual is annoyingly badly written, with no help on the QNap forum. What I want to do is seed infinitely and to an infinite seed ratio.

In Settings > BT > Bandwidth Limit I have made the settings shown in the image.
Just in case you're wondering:
  • yes, there are leechers for the torrents I have downloaded.
    The Share Time maximum is 2 weeks or 'Forever'. I assume that means it will be shared indefinitely. Am I right or wrong?
    I tried to change the Share Ratio to a higher number. I assume that a higher percentage will increase the time the file gets seeded by Download Manager. Am I right or wrong?
Is there a setting that I am missing? I don't want to ruin my seed/leech ratio at my torrent account. Could somebody please tell me how to change this mess?

Thanx,

Thom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
O_hip
New here

Re: QNap download station does not upload

Post by O_hip »

Hi Thom,

I'm running into the same thing. Now that I am working from a laptop I thought I would use my qnap for any torrent downloads. Download speeds are great but seeding does not seem to work correctly. I have tried various client options in the QNAP but nothing seems to work. I wonder if there is some sort of built in firewall into the QNAP that is preventing any seeding.
Broken Lizard
Starting out

Post by Broken Lizard »

Same problems here, i am dissapointed abouth download station. Everything is ok, download speed as expected, but when downloading of torrent ends that`s it, seeding does not start, torrent itself there is just waiting... Any news?
TS-251A (Raid1 Seagate IronWolf 2TB – Surveillance Station, Web server, QmailAgent, …)
1xDAHUA IPC-HDW1420S POE IP Security cam
O_hip
New here

Post by O_hip »

I don't think QNAP is taking this issue seriously. Perhaps it is time to start investigating other solutions. Perhaps switching to Synology might help. I'm not sure if there support is better or non existent like QNAP.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

O_hip wrote:I don't think QNAP is taking this issue seriously. Perhaps it is time to start investigating other solutions. Perhaps switching to Synology might help. I'm not sure if there support is better or non existent like QNAP.
Unless you and the others that are having an issue open tickets with QNAP they are unaware of the issue. This is a community forum and QNAP does not participate.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
O_hip
New here

Post by O_hip »

Yes, ticket has been opened but no solution. I was rather treated like I was the problem. The support I received was mediocre as if this application was an afterthought. It doesn't sound like QNAP support is very knowledgeable on how torrent clients should work. After 2 weeks of back and forth I gave up.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ScudderAdam wrote:...with no help on the QNap forum.
Well the Qnap forum is only users like you and me so apparently the Download Station users aren't as helpful as users of other Qnap Stations. If you contribute by answering questions in the forum in the future, it will become better.

I'll do my best here but it's been a long time since I used Download Station and if there are any recently introduced bugs, I'm not aware of them.
yes, there are leechers for the torrents I have downloaded.
And not too many seeders competing with you?

Also have you opened the necessary port in the router/firewall and have enough internet upload capacity to fulfill incoming requests?
The Share Time maximum is 2 weeks or 'Forever'. I assume that means it will be shared indefinitely.
2 weeks should mean two weeks and 'Forever' I would assume is indefinitely, so in reality the share ratio will be the limiting factor if there's enough demand for the file.
I tried to change the Share Ratio to a higher number. I assume that a higher percentage will increase the time the file gets seeded by Download Manager.
No. 100 % means that you seed the same amount of data as the file size so 999 % means that you will seed until you've shared 9.99 times as much data as the size of the file in question.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
stympy
New here

HELP WITH D.S. 5

Post by stympy »

Hi all.
I am using Download Station on my QNap NAS TS 453-Be.
I am downloading alot of torrents. But the Download Station 5 started to finish my downloads/seeds. This is thing destroyed my ratio at the torrent site.
So, lets explain the problem! This is simple!
1. Started the download.
2. After download is completed, in a normal way and considering my settings, the download should remain for seed FOREVER.
3. But noooo... the downloads, after few hours or 3 days are FINISHED! Some other downloads, after 6 hours are moved to finish!
4. I must tell you that the all ways are cleared from router, firewall, etc
5. The Download Station from my other NAS, Synology, works very well, for more than two years.
6. Hope the picture attached helps you to see, solve our problem and make DS5 better. :'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Re: HELP WITH D.S. 5

Post by P3R »

stympy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:14 am 6. Hope the picture attached helps you to see, solve our problem and make DS5 better. :'
This is a user community forum and we can't add features to Qnap software. If you want to tell Qnap what you want changed in Download Station, I recommend that you instead contact Qnap and tell them.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
stympy
New here

Post by stympy »

P3R wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:06 am
stympy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:14 am 6. Hope the picture attached helps you to see, solve our problem and make DS5 better. :'
This is a user community forum and we can't add features to Qnap software. If you want to tell Qnap what you want changed in Download Station, I recommend that you instead contact Qnap and tell them.
Hello again. I have submited the tiket to Qnap officials!
My intention is not to change something in D.S.5! Just need some help from someone who had or has this problem too. I bought this NAS with such trust, that the dissapoint is huge! I hope someone will help me with this problem! From here or Qnap officials! :cry:
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

stympy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm My intention is not to change something in D.S.5! Just need some help from someone who had or has this problem too. I bought this NAS with such trust, that the dissapoint is huge! I hope someone will help me with this problem!
I'm sorry but I couldn't find a question in in your previous post, only what I interpreted as some kind of feature request.

If the question you had is why your seeding stop despite you having Forever configured as the Share Time default then I would guess (if DS 5 works the same as one of the early version that I used) that it is becuase you have the Share Ratio set to 150 %.

As far as I know DS will use both of those settings and end the seeding when either of the settings are reached. The Share Time will obviously never be reached if set to Forever but a Share Ratio of 150 % mean that if the torrent in question is 100 MB, DS will seed the file until 150 MB have been served to other downloaders and then end the seeding.

What you can do is to set the Share Ratio to a higher amount for it to seed longer. Previously the highest Share Ratio that could be set was 999 %, which mean that you can seed the file until you have served almost 10 times as many bytes to othere as you've downloaded. If that's still the highest setting I don't know but if you hover the "i" in the blue roundel following the text Seeding Preferences, you may get an explanation of what are allowed settings for the Share Ratio.

If you don't want to experiment more on the torrent site a good idea could be to instead download legal torrents, for example from a Linux distribution download, to learn and understand Download Station before using it on that other site.

stympy
New here

Post by stympy »

P3R wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:08 pm
stympy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm
If you don't want to experiment more on the torrent site a good idea could be to instead download legal torrents, for example from a Linux distribution download, to learn and understand Download Station before using it on that other site.
Sooo... saga continues! :lol:
What i have done:
1. Read the blue info dot that says: Stop seeding when of the following condition is satisfied! I thinked: this is it! Here i must do the changes!
2. To change those 150% in 999% you must change 2 weeks instead of forever! So i deed. Click: Apply... bad choice! :shock:
3. After i press Apply... ALL, BUT ALLL MY seeding torents changed in to COMPLETE and my brain just exploded! :lol:
4. I feel like... And i want to say that the DS5 is very instable in settings... And all my download/seeds are from yesterday. Sooo... the app should not COMPLETE my files on the spot... Should have waited 2 weeks or not touched my files or tasks at all after i reverted the changes! :shock:
This are my "adventures" with Download Station 5! Hope this will help someone!
I will wait an answer from QNAP HelpDesk!

Return to “Download Station and QGet”