Which Ubuntu image for TS-877 AMD Ryzen NAS?

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
xsherlock
Starting out

Post by xsherlock »

I just got a brand new 877 with 16 GB of RAM and start installing VM's. Which ubuntu 16.04 image should I use for it?
I tried with ubuntu-16.04.4-server-amd64.iso and it started install but it takes FOREVER! Currently I have 2 installs running and they are both stuck at 83% for 2h already.
Is that a wrong iso image or that is normaly taking that long. I would expect those would be flying on such an advanced hardware

TIA
Maciej
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Which Ubuntu image for TS-877 AMD Ryzen NAS?

Post by Trexx »

Do you have a GPU or not? If you have a GPU installed, then easiest path is Linux Station install of Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.

As for Ubuntu Server VM install, there are multiple things that will impact install speed...
- Your storage configuration/etc. will have an impact.
- Where the ISO is located or being pulled from
- Your QTS version and VS version
- Your VM settings themselves (# of CPUs/Memory, HDD Contoller settings (type and cache modes), etc.)
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
xsherlock
Starting out

Post by xsherlock »

I don't have a GPU and I'm not willing to use Linux station as I do not need desktop environment, just some home automation servers
The storage is plain simple volume 4 disk RAID6 setup with 2 x m.2 SSD congitured for cache. ISO is alredy on the NAS and while coping it I saw phenomenal performance.
QTS 4.3.4 build 0537 and VS 3.1.7 is latest installed hours ago.
For the VM setiting I left everything to default (HDD is in the Virtio mode, whats that?) just modifying them to 2 cores 2 GB of ram.

Now after hours of wait the machines installed, I ejected CD, rebootedand they are stuck at booting from hard drive?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Which home automation servers are you using? Quite a few of them either have community QPKG's already or docker containers, both of which will be lighter weight than a full VM.

I would also be careful with the SSD cache, as in some cases it can actually DEGRADE performance depending on the settings.

For VM HDD settings, you want Virtio and writeback cache.

As a test, I did a quick Ubuntu 16 Test Server build (although I had it writing to my SSD volume to save time) with any my only change from default VM settings was to enable writeback caching for the HDD.

From first keystroke during install to reboot and login prompt of the test Ubuntu install: 6 minutes & 40 seconds.

Same test using my HDD's for VM disk location.. 3-4 x the time frame. (I got distracted doing other things so don't have exact timing). Still done in under 30 min.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xsherlock
Starting out

Post by xsherlock »

Ok, it was no cache that was slowing down the installs, now they fly.
Also you need to install grub, if you choose not to it will the installs are stuck on reboot.

I use Openhab and I know there is a QPKG for it but for my advanced setup (over 160 sensors and relays , 8000 lines of rules code) I need a VM to test new development and manage backups easily.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

xsherlock wrote:Ok, it was no cache that was slowing down the installs, now they fly.
Also you need to install grub, if you choose not to it will the installs are stuck on reboot.

I use Openhab and I know there is a QPKG for it but for my advanced setup (over 160 sensors and relays , 8000 lines of rules code) I need a VM to test new development and manage backups easily.
Glad you are up and running and I installed grub by default on mine.

Will need to pick your brain when I get to using openHAB more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

xsherlock
Starting out

Post by xsherlock »

Hmm, one more question,
I have 16 Gb model and for some reason in the resource monitor I do see only 7.8 GB of usable RAM is that normal? what is using the remaining 8 Gb?
My VM's are eating into the ram very quickly
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

No... if it only show 8GB total memory then it means a Dimms isn’t seated well or is defective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Trexx wrote:...enable writeback caching for the HDD.
Wouldn't that mean write caching into RAM, so will likely cause VM file system corruption in case something happens?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

P3R wrote:
Trexx wrote:...enable writeback caching for the HDD.
Wouldn't that mean write caching into RAM, so will likely cause VM file system corruption in case something happens?
If someone doesn’t have a UPS, there is that risk no matter what whether it is a cached write or a power failure during a write.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Trexx wrote:If someone doesn’t have a UPS, there is that risk no matter what whether it is a cached write or a power failure during a write.
Yes but with write caching the vulnerable time window increases and there's likely more data at risk.

Everyone deploying writeback caching should at least in my opinion be aware of the increased risks.

Personally I prefer to play it safe and not use Ext4 write caching and only using Writethrough caching in Virtualization Station.

A UPS on the NAS is very much recommended regardless of if using write caching or not.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
xsherlock
Starting out

Post by xsherlock »

The thing with the RAM was quite strange as both slots were occupied fine and the module type was displayed. As per some other thread I found I simply powered everything down, disconnected power for a while, and now I have 16 GB available to OS. Strange.

As per UPS I have one dedicated to the NAS that will hold it for an hour in case someone flips a braker or puts a fork into power outlet.
And the house itself is backed up by 22kWh battery, that gives me about a day of time to act if I have catastrophic grid power failure

I'm mostly concerned about stability of the Virtual Station itself, how solid it is? Do you find no problems with Virtual Switch

I see some random network problems while pinging from the VM to the rest of the LAN. One of the VM's is loosing ability to ping my gate for 10s at a time while other VM's ping that gate perfectly in the very same moment and those are 4 identical ubuntu installs.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Glad the memory is resolved. I personally haven't had issues with VS to speak of, but I also am a fairly lightweight user. I am assuming you have your NIC's configured for the VM's to leverage Virtio.

I would open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP for the problem one to see if they have heard of anything like that. The other thing you might try is making sure the default gateway is manually assigned under NW/VSwitch instead of autodetect. See if that makes any difference.
Paul

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”