QVR Pro vs. Surveillance Station?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Re: QVR Pro vs. Surveillance Station?

Post by steerage250 »

jsteng wrote:.. then again, maybe low end NAS has insufficient capacity to record more than 14 days anyways..
At the rate that QVR Pro devours disk space (compared to Surveillance Station), even high-end NASs might be struggling!
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

jsteng wrote:Is QVR Pro (free) available for TS431P NAS?
benfishbus wrote:The 14 day playback limitation seems like an arbitrary and pointless restriction that even home users are likely to find too limiting.
yeah, 14 days is indeed too short.. then again, maybe low end NAS has insufficient capacity to record more than 14 days anyways..
You can set it to output MP4 files for longer term storage in the free version. Only the database will allow for 14 days of review before being deleted.
bartsluimer
New here

Post by bartsluimer »

Currently busy with setting up Surveillance station on a QNAP TS 469L. Our 2 Dahua cams are able to output H265, looks like this is not possible to use in Surveillance station? But can not find QVR Pro in the app store. Is the TS 469L to old?
Managing 2x TS469 L and 1 x TS 439 pro 2
steerage250

Post by steerage250 »

QVR Pro needs a 64-bit x86 based processor. The only specs I could find for the TS 469L said it had an Intel Atom processor, and if it is old, it might just be 32bit - hence the non-availability of QVR Pro.
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

steerage250 wrote:
jsteng wrote:.. then again, maybe low end NAS has insufficient capacity to record more than 14 days anyways..
At the rate that QVR Pro devours disk space (compared to Surveillance Station), even high-end NASs might be struggling!
Not to mention the constant disk access even when no cameras are installed or having any sort of recording space dedicated to it yet. I have tracked this offending item to the Mongo Database. It seems to constantly be writing log files and Metrics, even if the database is not yet active. This needs to be looked at.

In addition, it doesn't seem to be using any of the cameras ability to compress the data prior to sending. It seems to want the NAS to do all the compression. Having 4 cameras at 4 Mpixel 30 FPS and 4096 Mbps recording pretty much pegged the CPU at 100% even though the cameras were not even recording. And this thing is supposed to be able to record 128 cameras at once? Is that at a data rate of 32Kbps each?

My 2 cents: Until they can get the compression and CPU usage under control and the constant disk access under control, I don't see this as a viable platform currently for either home or business.... Yet. With that said, it does look very promising.

Testing platform: TS-453bmini.
steerage250

Post by steerage250 »

QNAP Support gave me the following links for disk space estimators:
QVR Pro: https://www.qnap.com/en/qvr-nas-selector/
Surveillance Station: https://www.qnap.com/calculate/en/pro/index.php?hf=new

They both give the same results - which isn't what I'm seeing. The part that doesn't line-up with the QVR Pro camera setting though is that the estimator has a "Quality" setting of High, Low etc, whereas the actual camera settings don't have a "Quality", but have a "Bit rate" setting (256Kb, 512Kb, etc). I don't know how the Quality setting aligns with the Bit rate setting, so can't check QNAP's estimator.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

steerage250 wrote:I don't know how the Quality setting aligns with the Bit rate setting, so can't check QNAP's estimator.
Your second link shows a bandwidth calculation.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
steerage250

Post by steerage250 »

They both tell you the total bandwidth needed. However, my question is "how does the Quality setting in the estimator relate to the bit rate setting in the camera settings?" The estimator refers to a Quality (eg "Good"), but I can't enter "Good" anywhere in the Camera Settings.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Sorry, I was hinting that you could use the camera's bit-rate setting to determine what the equivalent 'quality' setting would be for that camera.

Enter the camera's known values into the estimator, then massage the quality setting until the calculated bandwidth matches (or is near) the bit-rate setting in the camera.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
steerage250

Post by steerage250 »

ah - good idea
cjoe7
First post

Post by cjoe7 »

New QNAP user here. More familiar with Synology.

I'm having issues with the Android QVR Pro Client. I need to view 2 QVR Pro systems (for now). It doesn't seem to allow viewing multiple NAS systems like the Windows client.

How does MyQNAPCloud configure the router when there are multiple NASes? Does the Auto Router Configuration using UPnP stagger the QNAP Web Ports, I.E. 8080, 8081, 8082? How can I assign another web port to the second NAS like 8081?

Additional issues:
1) Viewing live feeds from 8 cameras from 2 NASes on my main PC (AMD Ryzen 2700X) is very smooth without issue. On slower PCs (I5 2.8Ghz, 8GB Ram, SSD Storage), it says dropped frame.
2) Viewing live feeds on mobile device over 4G is painful. It takes forever for screen updates to show because QVR Pro only supports Stream1. There is no Sub Stream or Stream2 support. My home bandwidth is 300Mb/20Mb (down/up). Viewing 1 camera feed is choking my upload channel.
3) PTZ support for some of my older Amcrest (IPM-721W) cameras do not work. I then updated to the latest firmware which also did not help. I have to login to the camera's web page to use the PTZ feature. The IP2M-841 and IP3M-941 PTZ seem to work fine.
4) 14 Days of free viewing is stupid
5) QVR Pro still needs optimization and additional features. 2.8Ghz i5 is not that slow of a computer.

Here is what I've done already:

I have setup my TS-253A and TS-853A with QVR Pro Free. I port forwarded 443 and 8080 on my SonicWALL TZ400. I linked both NASes with QVR Center. On the Windows QVR Pro Client, I can view all the cameras on both NASes perfectly.

Great Features:
1) QVR Pro Free provides 8 camera licenses for free!!!!!
2) QVR Pro Free allows QVR Center to monitor 2 NASes or 16 camera licenses (on same or different networks)
3) QVR Client allows custom placement and sizing of viewing windows

CJoe
e2204588
Starting out

Post by e2204588 »

Viewing live feeds from 8 cameras from 2 NASes on my main PC (AMD Ryzen 2700X) is very smooth without issue. On slower PCs (I5 2.8Ghz, 8GB Ram, SSD Storage), it says dropped frame.
QVR Pro still needs optimization and additional features. 2.8Ghz i5 is not that slow of a computer.
Which format/resolution are you using?
Do you enable hardware acceleration?
Jepo2355
New here

Post by Jepo2355 »

[
The first thing you need to realise is that you can not run QVR Pro unless you create a new data volume on your raid/jbod storage pool. So if you have a setup at the moment where your volume(s) consume all of your HDD space then it wont work for you.

I have a new 1673, and as normal I made my datavol the size of my storage pool and couldn't run QVR, had to delete and recreate my data volumes.

Neil
[/quote]

So I am pretty new at this and have just hit the road block you stated above. I set up all 6 disks as a Raid 1 Group on Datavol1. So what do I do? How should I set up? to get the same type of protection for disk failure and still maintain room for (QVR Pro, Back ups, and music/movie server)?

Help?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Jepo2355 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:16 pm [
The first thing you need to realise is that you can not run QVR Pro unless you create a new data volume on your raid/jbod storage pool. So if you have a setup at the moment where your volume(s) consume all of your HDD space then it wont work for you.

I have a new 1673, and as normal I made my datavol the size of my storage pool and couldn't run QVR, had to delete and recreate my data volumes.

Neil
So I am pretty new at this and have just hit the road block you stated above. I set up all 6 disks as a Raid 1 Group on Datavol1. So what do I do? How should I set up? to get the same type of protection for disk failure and still maintain room for (QVR Pro, Back ups, and music/movie server)?

Help?
[/quote]

That only applies if you have thick or static volume that uses all the space. Thin should be ok

Looks like forum quoting is bust!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

also doubt that 6 disks were setup as a raid1 group (user data space..not system)

Return to “Surveillance Solution”