Got my TS-677 up and running! I've taken pictures for reference.

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
kd6icz
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Got my TS-677 up and running! I've taken pictures for reference.

Post by kd6icz »

Trexx wrote:
Actually I would be very careful of this characterization. Plex MAY end up supporting a Libva (intel driver) > Mesa > Nvidia driver option for Nvidia support. Plex doesn't want to do throwaway work, but if they can interface through a common platform api (mesa) then that is a different discussion.

That will likely be in 2018 (if it happens) as Intel is scheduled to release Libva 2.1 (which Plex needs) around Dec. 22nd. Until Plex has that, everything is at a stand still due to code fixes they need in LibVA.

Now whether the GPU would be exposed enough through QTS for Plex to take advantage of this or not I have no idea. That would be likely be discussions between Plex & QNAP.

Either way for the x77 family it really is irrelevant as the CPU has plenty of horsepower to handle SW transcoding against multiple streams.
Yeah! Libva 2.1! That's what Plex was talking about.

Anyway, like you said, that's why I shelled out the big bucks for a x77. The CPU is barely breaking a sweat with 3 streams going at once. So it definitely has more than enough horsepower for what I'm using it for.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Jongalt26
Starting out

Re: Got my TS-677 up and running! I've taken pictures for reference.

Post by Jongalt26 »

You sir are a hero. I've been trying to figure out the ram spec for awhile now. Thanks!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Should I use Hardware-Accelerated Streaming?

Hardware-Accelerated Streaming has a number of advantages:

-More videos can often stream at the same time.
-Videos can start streaming faster and buffer less often.
-High-quality videos, especially 4K and HEVC videos, can stream more smoothly.
-By offloading CPU-intensive transcoding tasks to dedicated hardware, video streaming has less of a performance impact on your computer.

There are some drawbacks to Hardware-Accelerated Streaming:

-The video quality may be lower, appearing more blurry or blocky. This is especially true and more noticeable when streaming at resolutions below 720p or lower bit rate source material. (Hardware-accelerated video encoders are faster, but lower quality than software encoders.)
-Earlier generations of hardware typically have lower-quality output than newer generations. (For instance, output from a “Sandy Bridge” processor typically won’t look as good as from a “Kabylake” processor.)
-Some rare video formats may play incorrectly on certain devices. This is unexpected, and users should report these issues to Plex in our friendly forums.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002 ... streaming/

considering that cpu is strong enough, i don't need to wait for HW acceleration. Only utility for me at this point, as mentioned above, mostly more streams possible, or maybe offloading transcoding to graphics, so i can do other stuff with the cpu without hogged by transcoding.

There is a whole thread dedicated to qnap hardware transcoding for plex at the link below, probably keep your eye there incase things change for the better like what trex hinted at.
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/24011 ... ro-plex/p1

Emby also may get their own solution possibly
https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... /?p=549462

Is there any good reason the init script can't be altered to log to somewhere safer?

Moogle Stiltzkin, on 07 Dec 2017 - , said:

What i meant was, AFTER installing the optional Nvidia card, would the NVENC in emby work for transcoding? cause emby has this option, but i did not see any examples of anyone having tested this yet, thats why i'm asking if anyone knows for sure :]

The answer, for the moment, is no with a chance of yes. What concerns me is this segment of the presentation that QNAP gave. It appears that you have to pre-allocate the GPU to QTS-based apps (NVENC definitely can't be used this way now as Emby doesn't currently include any support) or Virtualization Station (there's a possibility that GPU pass-through might actually work) but you can't do both at once. It would be very interesting to find out whether a Virtualized Emby server exposes the GPU in a usable manner.

We shall see.
https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... /?p=520258

The option shows in Emby because Emby supports it, but ffmpeg also has to support it. The one we ship doesn't, and surely never will due to the unpermissive license from NVIDIA, you'd have to make your own ffmpeg build to get NVENC. The NVIDIA blob is free for personal use, not for redistribution.
https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... /?p=518419
Luke -
No, our ffmpeg build does not include nvenc libraries.

PS: nvenc nvidia HW acceleration although lower quality than x264, it's still better than intels quicksync in terms of quality.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

How's the gaming capability of the 677 with a good graphics card? I'm intrigued by the idea of having the NAS replace my gaming laptop and provide virtual machines for my kids to play on. I'm not looking for high framerates in the latest games, but decent/playable in games like Diablo III and such. Possible?
flymeaway
Starting out

Post by flymeaway »

buiz_ wrote:How's the gaming capability of the 677 with a good graphics card? I'm intrigued by the idea of having the NAS replace my gaming laptop and provide virtual machines for my kids to play on. I'm not looking for high framerates in the latest games, but decent/playable in games like Diablo III and such. Possible?
I just put a halfway decent (1050 SC Gaming 2GB) card into my 877. I'm installing the Win10 VM as we speak, and plan to play a few newish but not incredibly frame rate intensive games (Mostly 4X like Civ VI; Stellaris).

I'll let you know later today how it works out...

I'm also interested in testing out Steam Stream with the NAS, which might be a good solution for you as well -- your kids could play or you could play on a lightweight laptop, which might have advantages depending on your setup. Probably won't get to that today (or really for a few months) but it's a use-case I'd really like to try, mostly because my favorite way to game is on a small screen sitting on my couch.

EDITED: Got the VM up and running. Stellaris ran amazingly well, very smooth. Had it just on 2 cores for early game we'll see if it holds up when things get busier. Don't forgot to install the Guest OS Tools and VertIO. I remember VertIO but forgot the guest tools and that was a world of pain...
David

Model: TS-877 R5-1600 // QTS 4.3.4.0551
Disks: 6x4TB HGST HUS726040ALE610 (RAID 6; QNAP approved) // 1x480gb Sandisk X400 SSD (no RAID; not approved)
RAM: 8gb QNAP OEM; 16gb Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 SC Gaming
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350
Cloud Backup: TBD
Mahkceb
Starting out

Post by Mahkceb »

Hi there,

I'm starting to get really interested in this model because of future proofing i can get with it.

In the GPU matter i've found this video that shows a MSI GTX 1050 TI AERO 4G ITX OCV1 PCI E 3.0 with PN: GTX1050TI-A-ITX4G beiyng installed in a TS-677 without problems.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxoZ0UjwEI0

What is not mencioned in the video is if the power supply is sufficient, but the NAS is powered an on with that gpu so i can assume that will work out of the box.

What i would like to know is if with only cpu processor is sufficent to have multi users streaming 4k content for android boxes ou pcs, running 1 ou 2 vms, 1 VM with Windows Server 2016 and SQL 2016 and a Windows 10 VM for test porpuses...

I what to change my atual server and current NAS and triyng to do exchange using a QNAP TS-677.
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

flymeaway wrote:
buiz_ wrote:How's the gaming capability of the 677 with a good graphics card? I'm intrigued by the idea of having the NAS replace my gaming laptop and provide virtual machines for my kids to play on. I'm not looking for high framerates in the latest games, but decent/playable in games like Diablo III and such. Possible?
I just put a halfway decent (1050 SC Gaming 2GB) card into my 877. I'm installing the Win10 VM as we speak, and plan to play a few newish but not incredibly frame rate intensive games (Mostly 4X like Civ VI; Stellaris).

I'll let you know later today how it works out...

I'm also interested in testing out Steam Stream with the NAS, which might be a good solution for you as well -- your kids could play or you could play on a lightweight laptop, which might have advantages depending on your setup. Probably won't get to that today (or really for a few months) but it's a use-case I'd really like to try, mostly because my favorite way to game is on a small screen sitting on my couch.

EDITED: Got the VM up and running. Stellaris ran amazingly well, very smooth. Had it just on 2 cores for early game we'll see if it holds up when things get busier. Don't forgot to install the Guest OS Tools and VertIO. I remember VertIO but forgot the guest tools and that was a world of pain...

That sounds great. Did you use the graphics output from the Nas to a screen, or did you access the VM via a browser? I'm curious if game controls, audio and lag become an issue when you access via a browser.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

flymeaway wrote: EDITED: Got the VM up and running. Stellaris ran amazingly well, very smooth. Had it just on 2 cores for early game we'll see if it holds up when things get busier. Don't forgot to install the Guest OS Tools and VertIO. I remember VertIO but forgot the guest tools and that was a world of pain...
you mean this? 8)
ABOUT THE GAME: Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

PACK:
Stellaris: Symbols of Domination
Stellaris: Sign-up Campaign Bonus
Stellaris: Arachnoid Portrait Pack
Stellaris: Pre-Order
Stellaris: Creatures of the Void
Stellaris: Horizon Signal
Stellaris: Ringtones
Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Stellaris: Plantoids Species Pack
Stellaris: Utopia
Stellaris: Anniversary Portraits
Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
Stellaris: Apocalypse

MINIMAL SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 Ghz / or Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @ 2.66 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD 5770 / or Nvidia GTX 460, with 1024MB VRAM. Latest available WHQL drivers from both manufacturers.
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 4 GB available space

[youtube=]3CdUFmGFkBo[/youtube]
it reminds me of diaspora i use to play *trading carrier ship class :mrgreen: until pirates came along and killed it :(

Mahkceb wrote:Hi there,

I'm starting to get really interested in this model because of future proofing i can get with it.

In the GPU matter i've found this video that shows a MSI GTX 1050 TI AERO 4G ITX OCV1 PCI E 3.0 with PN: GTX1050TI-A-ITX4G being installed in a TS-677 without problems.
i'm using a Nvidia 1050 Aero ITX (the non TI version). The ts-877 has a power cable for graphics, but for the 1050 you don't need to use that, you just plug into the pcie and it's enough to power the card. I'm not sure about the TI.

The closest to spec for demonstrating gaming performance i could find was this. Unless of course you want to post your fps results playing on the X77 series :wink:
[youtube=]6UfaEWYjWJQ[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Mahkceb
Starting out

Post by Mahkceb »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
Mahkceb wrote:Hi there,

In the GPU matter i've found this video that shows a MSI GTX 1050 TI AERO 4G ITX OCV1 PCI E 3.0 with PN: GTX1050TI-A-ITX4G being installed in a TS-677 without problems.
i'm using a Nvidia 1050 Aero ITX (the non TI version). The ts-877 has a power cable for graphics, but for the 1050 you don't need to use that, you just plug into the pcie and it's enough to power the card. I'm not sure about the TI.

The closest to spec for demonstrating gaming performance i could find was this. Unless of course you want to post your fps results playing on the X77 series :wink:
[youtube=]6UfaEWYjWJQ[/youtube]
Thks Moogle for your always helpfull feedback,

Well, for me the aplication of a GPU in a NAS will be to garantee the best performance when transcondig video, for playing games i prefer to play it on consoles, but who knows! :D
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Mahkceb wrote: Thks Moogle for your always helpfull feedback,

Well, for me the aplication of a GPU in a NAS will be to garantee the best performance when transcondig video, for playing games i prefer to play it on consoles, but who knows! :D
np :mrgreen:

well gpu hardware acceleration transcoding is possible, but only with qnap native app like video station.
[youtube=]Pt4tkaykF08[/youtube]

[youtube=]n4Kb1yJc7iI[/youtube]

i didn't test running VM using apps like vegas pro, but i suspect that may work..... :mrgreen: but this app is for video editing, not really for live transcoding for entertainment like you would using plex.
[youtube=]shdEZEOySKQ[/youtube]

for plex and emby, neither support hardware acceleration yet for graphics card. i preferred plex for live transcoding because my anime subtitles came out better and experience was satisfactory. cpu is strong enough to handle x264 which had better video quality, so wasn't a big deal for me :)

i mostly use the graphics card so i can use VM on the ts-877 for general computing usage where graphics is needed. It's definitely a better performer than a igpu that is for sure :mrgreen:
NAS

Network

Resources
flymeaway
Starting out

Post by flymeaway »

Actually, the way you'd get HW transcoding on the QNAP is to run a VM in Virtualization Station with GPU passthrough, and then the Plex on that (I'm assuming HW transcoding for Plex works fine on Windows). It's a little more cumbersome than running Plex native on the QNAP, but I can confirm that I get full access to HW transcoding (in principle, didn't text Plex) when running GPU passthrough in a VM.
buiz_ wrote:That sounds great. Did you use the graphics output from the Nas to a screen, or did you access the VM via a browser? I'm curious if game controls, audio and lag become an issue when you access via a browser.
I used graphics output to a screen (I have an older iMac that's still great for general use and has a gorgeous 27" IPS display). I think the VNC tools that come with Virtualization Station would theoretically support that, but honestly I would imagine that Steam streaming is probably the better solution if you want to run headless (it definitely uses hardware GPU acceleration to serve graphics over the network, and if you're home network is decently fast it's low latency enough for all but pro gamers). If you haven't seem Steam streaming, here you go: https://store.steampowered.com/streaming

I might give browser access a try and let you know...
David

Model: TS-877 R5-1600 // QTS 4.3.4.0551
Disks: 6x4TB HGST HUS726040ALE610 (RAID 6; QNAP approved) // 1x480gb Sandisk X400 SSD (no RAID; not approved)
RAM: 8gb QNAP OEM; 16gb Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 SC Gaming
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350
Cloud Backup: TBD
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

Looking forward to hearing how browser access works. If it works with no lag on graphics as well as audio, then I may have found an excuse to upgrade my otherwise excellent ts-471 that however does not have gpu support.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

buiz_ wrote:Looking forward to hearing how browser access works. If it works with no lag on graphics as well as audio, then I may have found an excuse to upgrade my otherwise excellent ts-471 that however does not have gpu support.
last time i tested, i hadn't yet figured out about how to get audio to VM to work.

though when i tested HDstation, plugging in my aktimate minis to the QNAP, it worked.

But when i tried the same for qnap it didn't. maybe i did not complete the steps required for that setup :'

i did find this though
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... dio-output

i was testing using win10, so i didn't test the supported OS they mention. also i don't know whether this article is still relevant because it was last updated years ago.

anyway browser works. If you access remotely to the vm, you can set graphics bandwidth speed depending on your internet connection. for local i set to max.

next test i did was running vm by directly plugging in the monitor to the qnap. The performance was better this was, as it was smoother. to increase performance i also suggest doing the virtio optimization for better hard drive performance. It won't be an exact match for bare metal performance, but it will be good enough.

tested web browser chrome and firefox, both worked.

or were you refering to browser station?

34:35
[youtube=]NLqWYzAwahU[/youtube]
NAS

Network

Resources
buiz_
Starting out

Post by buiz_ »

Awesome, I did mean accessing the VM via a client browser so that's great. Will just need to enable audio, surely that's possible.

With that kind of firepower it should be possible to have the NAS output hdmi to a local screen via HDStation, serve a couple of transcoding Plex streams to units as well as provide a VM that's fully equipped to play games that are not too graphically demanding. Now I gotta go add up the numbers for a 64gb ts-877 with two gpu's (why not), a good sdd for caching and a bunch of 10 tb disks. Will not be cheap but oh the awesomeness of that rig... :)

EDIT: it's a cool $3200 (without hdd's, I have those already), but then it's also a beast and will basically supply a household with virtualized machines
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

[youtube=]73podQlom9Y[/youtube]

i'll try test audio again. this is the only setting in virtual station for it
vm audio.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”