Docker w/ Crashplan - HELP

Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Docker w/ Crashplan - HELP

Post by Cincinnatus »

Howdy, folks.

My qpkg version of Crashplan is not longer working, so I decided to use one of the premade docker images in Container Station. It's this one here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/crashplan-pro/

However, I can't seem to locate where my files are on the machine. All I'm seeing is this (image attached). Can someone point me in the right direction on how to access the share drives on my NAS? I'm really mostly looking to back up my business data and multimedia (flac) files, but I can't find them.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Re: Docker w/ Crashplan - HELP

Post by MikeLagit »

You have to define the shares. Here is my code below.

Code: Select all

docker run -d \
    --name=crashplan-pro \
    -e USER_ID=0 \
    -e GROUP_ID=0 \
    -p 5800:5800 \
    -p 5900:5900 \
    -e TZ=America/Chicago \
    -e CRASHPLAN_SRV_MAX_MEM=2048m \
    -v /share/docker/appdata/crashplan-pro:/config:rw \
    -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA:/share:ro \
    jlesage/crashplan-pro
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

Ugh. I was hoping for something that was GUI driven. This is way above my pay grade. Is it possible to just get a regular Docker image with Linux and a desktop, then install the Crashplan app?
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

You can enter everything in by hand in the gui as well. There is a shares tab where you can enter it. But, it's much easier to do it from a prompt. If you're on windows just download putty.exe and use it to connect to the NAS, then copy and paste that command to create the container. Depending on your NAS you might be able to install an OS, but that's way overkill.
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

Yeah, I'm just not comfortable on a command line and experience tells me I'm better off with point-and-click. When you do this sort of stuff at work all day, it's intuitive, but not so much for me. And I can't deal with a scenario where, in six months from now, I need to add another share and can't remember how I got it to work in the first place.

So, getting back to my original request, isn't there a GUI driven environment as there is with the Windows CP app, where I can just pick and choose the folders I want without having to resort to all sorts of command-line voodoo?
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

No, as crashplan isn't officially supported on a NAS. Even if you setup a windows VM and installed what you are used to seeing, the VM still won't be able to see your folders without passing them to the VM. So you'll still have to pass the folders similar as to what's described above for a container. I haven't tried it, but you should be able to setup the container with the gui. Sounds like you already did that once, but forgot the simple folder share. Here are some screenshots for you on where to do it. You only need the /config and /share line. Also don't forget to set your max memory and timezone. Those are important! Tip, for some reason in the gui it's a bit goofy in that changing your settings requires you to delete the container and put it all in again. I haven't figured that one out, but you've probably seen my unsolved thread. So went you hit that create button, make sure you have it all in there and set to start at boot!

Lastly, not to be persistent, but if you want to run unsupported software you'll probably have to learn a little commandline bidness. It's not my day job either, or my field, but being a little hacky will go a long way in NAS land. I store all my commandline text commands in a "things to remember" folder using notepad++. Really with the right code you just paste it and viola. ImageImage
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

In your screen shots, there doesn't seem to be a way to just add a share. I used a pre-configured Crashplan image downloaded from the ContainerStation control panel. I guess I'll give it another shot and see what happens.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just run a Windows VM in Virtualization Station, add the NAS folders, and install the CP app. Then, they can't say it's not supported, and it solves all the mumbo-jumbo about command lines and whatnot.
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

Once the VM is created you can't adjust the shares (my screenshot), but when you are in creation mode you can see there is an add button.

Yes, you can install windows VM, but that defeats the purpose of a small lean container. You're gonna have to hit that add button, like it or not, and set up the shares so either the container or the VM can see your file system. Image
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

Just edited my post above. I'll destroy and recreate. Stand by...
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

can we even access the interface anymore with crashplan? I thought once the new version was pushed they broke our ability to connect to the back end from a pc? Did i miss something?

Also learning to do it from the shell is not hard and will give you the easier ability to upgrade the container and keep your setting with a simply command.
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

MikeLagit wrote:Once the VM is created you can't adjust the shares (my screenshot), but when you are in creation mode you can see there is an add button.

Yes, you can install windows VM, but that defeats the purpose of a small lean container. You're gonna have to hit that add button, like it or not, and set up the shares so either the container or the VM can see your file system.
Ok, managed to add two shares, but would prefer if the whole volume was visible, not just individual folders, so that if I add any new folders later they can be selected. Am I doing something wrong?

As an afterthought, here's another point about why a full version of Linux might make sense. In the inevitable case where Code42 releases (and pushes) another update to their application, if the app is run on a desktop as a standalone app, it can be updated accordingly. I don't know if that's true of the docker implementation I've used.

Am I thinking along the right lines on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

Not really. Docker makes it stupid simple and fast.

[~] # docker pull jlesage/crashplan
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from jlesage/crashplan
605ce1bd3f31: Pull complete
028ee43c0120: Pull complete
78ea6c1395e1: Pull complete
21082a80aa3b: Pull complete
cab68928a1cb: Pull complete
4f85e3e40e21: Pull complete
d61396b80e2e: Pull complete
828e3b39874f: Pull complete
a4a0729ffa8a: Pull complete
1bbc78bcddb3: Pull complete
88d7e3125a5f: Pull complete
77c59714e3b7: Pull complete
56b6506ffc2a: Pull complete
e9784a110c03: Pull complete
042d29d9e5a6: Pull complete
ec9ee32cddcb: Pull complete
bbdd7fd51a85: Pull complete
f23c8d54f187: Pull complete
7736136bcae6: Pull complete
e14b3e781244: Pull complete
f6f324a2b898: Pull complete
a7707d72ce27: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:d6a03c6afb051ec750a130271a123fe3b028b78c04961a42a49391eefcfb0fce
Status: Downloaded newer image for jlesage/crashplan:latest
Delete the container in the GUI.

[~] # docker run -d \
>     --name=crashplan-pro \
>     -e USER_ID=0 \
>     -e GROUP_ID=0 \
>     -p 5800:5800 \
>     -p 5900:5900 \
>     -e TZ=America/Chicago \
>     -e CRASHPLAN_SRV_MAX_MEM=3072M \
>     -v /share/docker/appdata/crashplan-pro:/config:rw \
>     -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA:/share:ro \
>     jlesage/crashplan-pro
4c9fa8248d44e0e8fdc8ba2d4e2bb4015bf2f6137a81742f80bc920d9f7f5501
[~] #
Done. 3 steps.
Cincinnatus
Know my way around

Post by Cincinnatus »

MikeLagit wrote:Not really. Docker makes it stupid simple and fast...
Once again, no GUI, so I have NO idea what's going on here. And, if I have to recreate the container all over again, doesn't that affect my existing backup settings?

ETA: I just read a bit deeper into the documentation. If I'm understanding it right, if there's a new iteration/update of the app, all I need to do is destroy the container (without deleting the settings folder) and then recreate a new one. Is that correct?
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

If you're going to do unsupported things on a NAS, you're gonna have to get a bit nerdy and learn a few things that a GUI doesn't support. Documentation is always good! and yes, that is correct on destroy and recreate the container. That is why there is a specific share to store the config outside the container.

3 step upgrade as I mentioned above and by far easier than any VM you could ever install or maintain.
gatorheel
New here

Post by gatorheel »

This thread has been super helpful and helped me turn the corner on persistent storage and Docker. I've run into a snag though and I can't figure it out. I previously had Crashplan Pro set up but was dealing with the recurring loss of config. To resolve (per this thread) and move the config to a share, I deleted the existing container and image and started from scratch by executing the following:

docker run -d \
    --name=crashplan-pro \
    -e USER_ID=0 \
    -e GROUP_ID=0 \
    -e TZ=America/New_York \
    -v /share/docker/appdata/crashplan-pro:/config:rw \
    -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA:/share:ro \
    jlesage/crashplan-pro
The container started up just fine, and I went into the web console, logged into my account, and adopted my old config. System copied the config data over from Crashplan Central and restarted. In the past, it would start scanning blocks and validating local data vs already backed up. However, this time the console got wonky, stuck at the "waiting for connection" spinner. I restarted the container and it immediately stopped with the following in the logs:

[cont-init.d] crashplan-pro.sh: executing...
sed: write error
[cont-init.d] crashplan-pro.sh: exited 4.
[services.d] stopping services
Further attempts to restart container result in it immediately stopping with the same error. It seemed like a permissions issue so I tried removing the config folder and starting from scratch again and the same sequence repeated. At this point I'm stuck., any pointers?
2018-08-07_22-20-17.png
Thanks,
Matt

Return to “Container Station”