Photo Station and Face Detection

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Doubleyoupee
New here

Re: Photo Station and Face Detection

Post by Doubleyoupee »

duranged2001 wrote:I have an update that may be disappointing, WP. I thought I had figured out the "trick" to making my recognition selections stick. I would click the refresh button in PhotoStation after every few minutes. It seemed to be working, almost like it was writing my changes to a database. Next time I'd open the app, my peeps would all be under the names where I put them. So, after paring down my number of "Suggested" from over 3,800 down to less than 400, I kind of walked away from it for a while. I was tired of messing with it. I figured I would come back and finish the rest later.

I opened Photostation a couple of days ago, and found that all my "Tagged" people showed a count of "0." And under "Suggested," there was nothing--not the remaining that I had yet to finish, not the people who I'd already tagged.

Methinks it's fricken flaky. And I ain't a messin with it no mo.
Well I haven't been able to get 1 suggestion. Like I said, even with only 1 photo (one with a face) in my library.

For me the entire photo app seems flacky. I have "advanced search" but this is a filter. Where is "normal search"?
In my gallery, I just want to type and search by name, date, month, tag etc. Isn't that what indexing is for?
I've also had it stuck several times on creating thumbnails, or the gallery would simply be empty.

If anyone has any alternatives to use with QNAP that would be great.
duranged2001
New here

Post by duranged2001 »

Forgive me if you have already stated this, or it seems in any way condescending, but did you install the PhotoStation "people" plug-in? It was just a thought, as I have been able to get the program to make suggestions, but haven't been able to get the information to "stick" consistently.
QNAP TVS-682 v. 4.3.5.0722 - bought March 2018
RAM - Crucial 16 GB x 3, Transcend 4 GB x 1
HDD - Western Digital 8 TB Reds x 4
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB x 2
Battery Backup - APC 1500M
PhotoStation 5.7.3 (Photo Station Extension 2.2.16)
duranged2001
New here

Post by duranged2001 »

By the way, it is called "Photo Station Extension" and the Last version I saw was 2.2.9
QNAP TVS-682 v. 4.3.5.0722 - bought March 2018
RAM - Crucial 16 GB x 3, Transcend 4 GB x 1
HDD - Western Digital 8 TB Reds x 4
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB x 2
Battery Backup - APC 1500M
PhotoStation 5.7.3 (Photo Station Extension 2.2.16)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i made a mini review here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=141242

found some bugs which i reported to helpdesk.

it's a good feature to have and definitely i would make good use of....., but it needs some more polishing to iron out the bugs. After all it's still considered a beta.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Is Photo Station Extension removed from App Center?? Is present for 4.3.3 (1.2.1 version), but 2.2.9 is missing
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Theliel wrote:Is Photo Station Extension removed from App Center?? Is present for 4.3.3 (1.2.1 version), but 2.2.9 is missing
I went to QTS > control panel > multimedia management > media-addon >

photo station extension 2.2.16 is shown there as installed. That is the addon required for facial detection in photostation.

i'm using latest QTS 4.3.4.0597 Build 20180528 on a TS-877

photostation has a bug for people, which facial detects images. For example, when i try and drag drop/merge images, it will sometimes get confused and mis-allocate other images to another person (for which i had not selected as part of the move, yet photostation does otherwise). QNAP is already aware of the people tag sorting issue, and are fixing it.

by the way, no idea what qnap model you are using since you did not say...., so i'm going to assume you on an EOL model and stuck on 4.3.3 ? cause if so, then you ought to upgrade to a newer model if you expect to see newer qts and features added. otherwise updates will be limited to bug and security fixes only :S

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=135788
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Photo Station 5.7.0
QTS 4.3.4.0597
QNAP TS-253Be, is not EOL

I'd found direct link to 2.2.9 in QNAP servers downloaded manually and installed, and work fine.

But again, in this moment is removed from APP Center and in Media Addon (Multimedia management)

2.2.9 or 2.2.8 and others version can be downloaded with direct link, but i can't find 2.2.16, maybe is removed because some bugs or something.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Theliel wrote:Is present for 4.3.3
did you just update to 4.3.4? :'
Theliel wrote: I'd found direct link to 2.2.9 in QNAP servers downloaded manually and installed, and work fine.
what link? i went to here but i could not find it :'
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/app_center/

Photo Station Extension
Photo Station Extension recognizes human faces in your photos and converts PDF files to images.

To install the Photo Station Extension, go to “Control Panel” > “Application” > “Multimedia Management” > “Media Add-on” > “Photo Station Extension”.

Note:

Photo Station Extension is only available for x86 models.
Photo Station Extension 2 supports Photo Station 5.6 and later versions.
Photo Station Extension 1 supports Photo Station 5.4.4 and earlier versions.
https://www.qnap.com/en-in/how-to/tutor ... to-station

hm.... why are you installing an older version? 2.2.16 seems to be newer, this is the one i'm using :'
Photo Station Extension 2.2.16
( 2018/05/15 )
[Fixed Issues]
- Continuously displayed "Recognizing the people in the photos…" as a QTS background task on some NAS models.

Photo Station Extension 2.2.9
( 2017/12/14 )
[Important Notes]
QTS 4.3.4 (or later versions) is required for installing Photo Station Extension 2.2.9.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... e=PhotoExt
NAS

Network

Resources
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

because 2.2.16 link is down, and 2.2.9 is up

QNAP TS-253Be is x86 architecture, and again... 2.2.9 work fine installed manually from direct link:

https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/PhotoExt ... x86_64.zip

2.2.8 is up too, 2.2.16 not

If you can see PhotoExtension in App Center, and show you 2.2.16 version, please, copy link location and paste here.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

I'd Found it with a little "search script" the direct link, but still missing in app center and qnap addon management.

https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/PhotoExt ... 180507.zip
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

wow, didn't know about this. good find Image
Theliel wrote: If you can see PhotoExtension in App Center, and show you 2.2.16 version, please, copy link location and paste here.
i don't see this in appcenter. but i do see it in multimedia management, where there is no link to provide :(

glad you managed to figure it out :)
NAS

Network

Resources
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

because you have already installed :), otherwise it would not appear
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

In general I think this feature is very nice and working quite good at the moment, got it working quite nicely myself.

Only BIG thing that makes it very frustrating at the moment is the bug already mentioned by moogle, that if you see a mismatch and you change the person of the face match you get a prompt.
It asks you if you only want that single image to change or all the ones linked to the "wrong" person. When you then choose only the single photo it sometimes still links all the photo's to the other person.
So instead of having 8000 recognised photo's of my daughter and 5000 of my son, after trying to alter one photo, I now have 13000 recoginised photo's of my son :(
And no way of pulling these apart automatically..
Hope they fix this soon though because like I mentioned the feature is actually very nice.

B.t.w. does anyone know if there's a way to (re-)trigger the process to run through all the photo's again for recognition? I deleted quite some face detection data for a lot of photo's thinking that they would reappear again in the suggested page when run again through the recognition process, but don't think the software actually does this?..
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
spec1
New here

Post by spec1 »

I spent some time trying to use face detection and have a few observations. First, it does seem to be able to do more than just detect a face, it has some ability to recognize the face and group pictures with the same face. However, for example, if I have 1000 pictures with my wife in them, instead of giving me one group with a 1000 pics, it gives me 100 groups with 10 photos in each group. Then it wants me to manually tag all 100 groups. Very time consuming when tagging lots of people in over 10,000 total photos. Also when tagging the 100 groups it usually makes a "suggestion" by floating my wife's name to the top of the drop down pick list. Somehow it knows that it is my wife's face featured in each of the groups. It would be much more efficient for the app to put the suggested name right on the group, and allow you to simply accept the suggestion. Rather than forcing you to go through all of the clicks required to pick a name out of the pick list. Perhaps you should be able to select select multiple groups and accept all of the suggestions at once.

Its interesting that the face detection functionality was able to suggest my niece's name in groups of pictures where she spanned in age from age 5 to age 20. I was impressed by that. Less impressed by the fact that when it finds a group of photos, there is really no way that I know of to click through and see all of the individual photos in the group. So I don't really know if all the pictures in the group were properly identified by the recognition program.

Lastly, I have several users of set up on my NAS. When I log on as a different user the tags do not seem to carry over. This seems to indicate that the tags are not being saved as metadata to the file. I have to go through this very time consuming process of tagging pictures for each user! Does this seem right, am I missing something?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

like spec1 pointed out, it can group into separate groups the same person, but probably with a slightly different look. for me the solution would have been to just simply merge the groups, then later on i can assign which would be the thumbnail for that group.

however like guapo81 mentioned, trying to merge group currently has a bug making it a hit and miss not really worth the effort trying until is fixed. i had made the ticket for this, they are still looking into it last i checked. maybe they are working on a major overhaul hence the delay perhaps?

another thing i observed, if it flags something as a potential person but is a mistake, you can opt to select it to ignore. but what if you did that by accident? so how do you make this appear again without having to manually find the pic yourself and re-adding it? can it re-index that "ignore" pic again? or is there a checklist you can unignore from? this is one area they probably can look into for improving the facial recog app. because i find grouping pics via deep learning very convenient (once it's up and working), so i would hate it to permanently ignore images without any means of unignoring it for later automation for re-indexing possible facial recog image scans in the future.

they can eventually also add identification of objects and perhaps even places. so like, the Eiffel tower would trigger grouping for france location etc. Or identify objects e.g. food stuff like "sausage", "apple" or something into tag identifiers. From what i saw in smart albums, it can create some sort of taggings, which is saved in qnap, but will be removed when you delete the multimedia library. so they could do taggings in that way that does not change the file directly, but has tag references to that image kept in sort of database. (there seems to be an option to directly modify the file, but i didn't dare try that, as i prefer leaving my files as the original where possible).
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”