VPN or myQNPcloud - equipment setup

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
J2121
Know my way around

VPN or myQNPcloud - equipment setup

Post by J2121 »

I'm about to purchase a TS-253be and some IP cameras. I would like to set everything up behind a VPN. Being new to this, I want to figure out how everything should be set up. I have read a bit and watched videos. It's not the software part that I'm having trouble with - it's the hardware part.

The current setup has the Internet company's modem/router as the first stop. I cannot make changes to or run a VPN from that. There is no local access. If I want ports forwarded, I have to call and have them do it (they will - I just cannot do it myself).

After the router, I have two Apple Airports (one is extending the wireless network) providing both wired and wireless network access via a local network.

To this, I plan to add the 253 and a PoE switch for the cameras. The 253 will be the VPN server.

I have no problem putting everything behind the VPN. My understanding is that while at that location, both wired/wireless devices will connect as normal if behind the VPN.

So what hardware goes where?

I'm guessing that the cable router will wire straight into the 253. Then a wire out from the 253 will go to the switch and Airport Express. The AE will create the wifi network as it does now. This would put all items on the other side of the VPN.

Is this correct? Will it have any impact on local internet access or network speed since everything has to go through the NAS? Is there a better way to structure this network to have good local access and secure remote access?

I also see myQNPcloud seems to be a VPN of some sort. Is this a better alternative to the above? If so, would it affect the equipment set up?
schumaku
Guru

Re: VPN or myQNPcloud - equipment setup

Post by schumaku »

Assuming the AE are configured as pure access points (not as individual routers), everything behind the ISP router is a single flat network with the same TCP/IP subnetwork - this will allow to forward the port required ie. for OpenVPN and establish a VPN from outside, to the NAS, and the complete LAN.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

Yes, the Airports are set up as access points. My lack of direct access to the cable company's router meant it was easier to leave it as provided.

I understand that, once connected to the NAS, the router will be set to forward the port. The ISP has no issue doing this for me.

I’m still a little confused on the actual wiring setup.

Cable Line —> router —> NAS —> Switch <— Cameras and Aiport

Is that correct? I am thinking that anything I put on the router side of the NAS is not protected by the VPN? Is that correct? Or can everything connect to the switch (including router) and the port forward/VPN will still protect my cameras?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Cable Line —> Router —> Switch (dedicated or switch ports on the router) <— Cameras. Airport, NAS, ...
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

schumaku wrote:Cable Line —> Router —> Switch (dedicated or switch ports on the router) <— Cameras. Airport, NAS, ...
Thank You! That clears things up for me. Much appreciated.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”